Aftermath [fic]

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Aftermath [fic]

Postby Michael Ezra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 pm

"That was Brandi," said Penny later that afternoon, putting away her phone and crossing her legs on her basement couch. "She won't be joining us for our study session. The 'rents grounded her for a week. Except for history tomorrow and church on Christmas, she won't be leaving the house for half the break."

"Grounded over the holidays," said Lisa, lying on her stomach, legs in the air, ruffling the pages of her textbook with her thumb. "Harsh."

"Harsh, nothing," said Katy-Ann, leaning forward in her chair. "Brandi was lucky Principal Giuliani dismissed her with just a five thousand-word essay assignment on nonviolent conflict resolution. What was she thinking? She could've gotten expelled. Sent to juvie, even."

Penny lowered her eyebrows. "Well, we don't all have your self-control in the face of Confederate-era trash-talk, Saint Katy." Katy-Ann looked down, her face red. "I'm sorry," Penny went on, softening her tone. "I shouldn't have said that. But I think it helped that Xena was okay, no bleeding, and not all screwy in the head."

"No more than usual, anyway," said Sara, stretched out on the couch beside Penny.

"Exactly. I think she may be the one who gets the worst of this. I overheard Giuliani and Joshi, the counselor, saying things behind the door like 'past history' and 'recommend... full evaluation.' Anyway, I think all of us vouching for Brandi helped." Penny exhaled through the lips. "Man. Even though I wasn't the one in trouble, being back in the principal's office for the first time in over a year brought back some bad memories." She looked over at Aggie and half-smiled. "Right, Aggie?...Aggie? What's wrong?"

Aggie, seated on Penny's other side, stared unseeing at the photo of Reagan on the textbook cover. "It's my fault. None of this would've happened if I hadn't been stupid enough to approach Xena in the first place. Fred said she's usually so quiet. And I had to go ahead and light her fuse."

Lisa got up off the floor and gave her a hug. "Aw, Ag, don't. How could you have known she'd go all Michael Richards with a side order of Reverend Phelps? Not like any of us knew her at all."

"True," said Aggie, gently squeezing back, then disengaging before it got awkward. "Least of all Fred, apparently."

Everyone looked at her, waiting for an explanation.

Aggie sighed. "Gah. I didn't mean for that to slip out. Okay, remember earlier today in the lounge, when Fred said a girl in his chem lab set off his gaydar, like Stan did? Well, guess who that girl was."

"No. Way," said Lisa.

"Way. But I'd better back up a step. After Penny and Brandi walked out, I asked him to point this maybe-gay-girl out to me."

"But why?" said Penny.

Another sigh. "Yeah. I hadn't been planning on having this talk so soon, what with exams, let alone today's drama which none of us could've predicted, but...well, you guys will understand, and now that it's out there..."

Silence.

"I've been having these new--more or less new--feelings lately, and I think I may be gay."

"Well, that'd explain some things," said Lisa as quietly as she could manage.

Penny uncrossed her legs. "But--Marshall? And, whatsisface, Darren?"

"Sara liked Marshall too, you may remember," said Aggie. Sara smiled and nodded. "As for Darren, well, you see how long that lasted. And I never even kissed him, on the lips at least. So. Yeah. Add another name to the Belleville Big Gay Boat Ride, I guess."

"I'm glad you felt comfortable telling us," said Katy-Ann.

"Me too," said Lisa, giving Aggie's arm a pat.

"Me three," said Penny, resting her hand on Aggie's other arm. And suddenly turning deep red. "Um. I, I think we need snacks. Everyone like popcorn? I'll make some popcorn. Popcorn's good." With that, she scampered up the stairs.

"What's eating her?" said Lisa.

"I have no idea," said Aggie. "She acted kind of funny and impulsive when Stan's name came up too."

Lisa and Sara exchanged smiles. After a moment, Katy-Ann smiled too.

Now it was Aggie's turn to blush. "Oh. Um...shouldn't we be, like, studying?" She pried her textbook open and slammed her finger down on the page. "So, how about that...Battle of Concord, huh?"
Michael Ezra

Postby JerrBear » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:01 pm

"Aw, Ag, don't. How could you have known she'd go all Michael Richards with a side order of Reverend Phelps? Not like any of us knew her at all."

Definitely Lisa there.
Freemage wrote:Jerrbear: Thank you, for establishing once and for all, why Lesbians Are Hot. :P

Michael Ezra wrote:...Seriously, a MANNEQUIN? At this time, I can't help but recall JerrBear's words
JerrBear

Postby Michael Ezra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks, JerrBear. Lisa is damned hard to write. I can't imagine how many times T must revise her dialogue every time she appears. :o
Michael Ezra

Postby NobodySpecial » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Penny cracked open the door to the girl's room. 'Aggie?' Wider. 'Aggie? Agg-'

Seeing Aggie nearly at the point of tears, banging her fists against the bathroom wall, shocked Penny into motion. In a flash, she was in the bathroom, grabbing Aggie by the arms. 'Hey, hey, hey. Aggie? Aggie, it's ok. It's ok.'

'No, no, it's NOT ok! I'm such a-an idiot!' At that hitch in her voice, the tears did start flowing. All the energy leaving her body suddenly, dropping her to the floor. Great, Penny thought to herself. If I hadn't been holding her, she would have been another concussion victim She held Aggie tighter until the sobbing finally eased a little, and then tried to do a little calming of her own. 'It kinda shook me up, too, seeing Brandi do that. What set off Queen Psycho?'

To Penny's dismay, the sobbing started again. 'Iiit was m-m-my f-fault.' she heard Aggie say in between gulps of air.

'Your fault? Aggie, calm down. She was WAY out of line. What could you have said that would have brought out...that word?'

Aggie drew in deep breaths, two, three, four, then tried to continue, her voice still shaky. 'I shouldn't have even talked to her. If I'd have just kept my mouth shut and not listened to Fred, none of this would have happened.'

'Not listened to who? What? Aggie, make sense here. What are you talking about, listened to Fred? Who's Fred?'

A trace of the old Aggie came back, if only for a second. 'You should know Fred. After all, his friend IS your BFF's girlfriend. Remember that?'

'Oh, oh yeah.' Penny had the grace to look slightly embarrassed. 'I kinda forgot, with all this. What did he say that started all this?'

'W-well, he was talking about this girl in his classwhoseemedkindadifferentandIthoughtI'dgotalkwithherandIdidn'tknowwhoitwasand...'

'Slow down! Seemed kinda different? That's an understatement. Why would you go talk to her?'

'No, not different.' Aggie looked down at the floor as Penny struggled to get what she meant. 'Different. You know.'

'So, why...?' Penny's voice trailed off as dots began to connect. 'You mean, like Sara?' A small nod from Aggie. 'And you...?'

'Well...yeah. I' and Aggie rushed out the rest on seeing the look on Penny's face. 'I mean, NO! I mean, I don't know. I've had these thoughts, and I dunno.

But I figured why not find out? And Fred thought she was okay, and I've had such bad luck, I figured why not?'

Penny's grip softened, and she pulled Aggie closer, her voice dropping. 'And you found out she's not gay, she's psycho. Jeez.' Penny's thoughts drifted back. She remembered a dream, a late night conversation, her guilty feelings.

Aggie's head lifted briefly, then sank again. 'Yeah, but it's not anything new, right? I figured this was my last chance before college, but that's kinda gone out the window, huh? I guess I'm just destined to not date in high school, or something.

Penny snapped into focus, gave Aggie a quick fierce hug, one that made Aggie look into her eyes. 'Hey, that's not gonna happen. I'll take care of that.'

'And how are you gonna do that?' Aggie's vision swam as through a fine screen of bubbles had passed across her vision.

'Simple! I'll give Stan a call tonight. If he can't take care of you now that Brandi AND Michelle have dumped him, then he's worse off than I thought!'

'
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll
NobodySpecial

Postby NobodySpecial » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:28 pm

I do have to say, though, that you've got the voices just right, Mr. Ezra. I enjoyed yours greatly.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll
NobodySpecial

Postby Michael Ezra » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:30 pm

*Clap clap* Well done. Poor Aggie, can't catch a break, huh? :P

Edit: And thanks!
Michael Ezra

Return to General Discussion