No-Name Brand [fic]

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

No-Name Brand [fic]

Postby Michael Ezra » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:00 pm

"Damn stupid Fox, canceling Dollhouse. Joss never gets a break," said Daphne as she sat down on a bench in the school hall at the end of the day.

"You still going on about that?" said Lisa. "Okay, first, the ratings were in the toilet's toilet. Second, Fox actually gave the show a more-than-fair chance this time. And besides, when it was on all you did was complain about it." She launched into an exaggerated imitation of her friend's voice in fangirl mode. "'Blah blah the pacing's way slow; there's too much fanservice for what's supposed to be a feminist deconstructiony-thing; Summer, not Eliza, should be playing Echo, blah blah..."

"I so don't say 'deconstructiony-thing.'" Daphne couldn't quite repress a half-smile. "Anyway, you're missing the--oh hi, Aggie."

"Hey Daph. Hey, um, Lis."

Lisa had turned away as soon as she heard Aggie's name. A barely-audible grunt was her only response.

Aggie's cheeks flushed. They'd been doing that a lot, the last few days. "Lisa, can...can I talk to you for a few?"

"I 'unno. Maybe." Lisa's face was stone, her voice monotonous.

After a moment's silence Daphne, who knew something vaguely wrong was up between the two normally best friends, gave Lisa a gentle elbow-nudge. Lisa turned to glare at Daphne, who responded with a raised eyebrow and a smile. "Lis. It can't hurt that much to talk, can it? If I'd been less of a douche and more willing to listen to Sara when the video thing came--"

"Christ Daph, not the video thing again." Lisa sighed. "All right, Aggie, let's talk."

The ground under the naked maple tree behind the school was cold to the touch, but not yet so cold you couldn't sit there. "So," said Aggie, "you've probably noticed I've been acting a bit weird since last weekend."

"If by 'a bit weird' you mean totally freaking out and trying to avoid me when I so much as glance at you from ten feet away, then yeah. I've noticed."

Aggie turned to look at her friend directly, but she wouldn't meet her gaze. "Lisa. It's not--"

"What'd I do to you, Ag? Why wouldn't you snuggle with me at Fred's, as if I'd never been huggy with you before? Why did you jump out of your skin when I saw you at the mall, and refuse my help picking up your boxes?" Lisa didn't cry, as far as Aggie knew, but her voice wavered noticeably, scaring her a bit. "Why do you hate my guts all of a sudden?"

"You didn't do anything. And I don't hate your guts. Not even remotely. What's got me so freaked is...well, it's almost the opposite thing, really. I think."

Lisa finally made eye contact, despite herself. "What do you mean?"

"I think I may have...feelings."

Lisa blushed. "Feelings? As in, for me?"

"Yeah. And/or for girls in general, maybe. I dunno."

"Wow." Lisa looked down and exhaled. "How long has this been going on?"

"Since movie night at Fred's. Maybe longer, if you count the time I crashed into Karen's boobs at the mall. But last weekend, well, Sara and Daphne were practically making girl-babies on the couch right behind us, and I just...I started to get really uncomfortable and really turned on at the same time. So when I felt your pigtail brushing against me and found you looking at me all doe-eyed, I just thought...you know."

Lisa half-smiled. "You thought I wanted to play tonsil hockey."

"Yeah. Ew, nicely put. Well, you can imagine how I felt when you rested your head on Fred's shoulder. I guess I was so embarrassed I didn't know what to say."

"And that's why you got up and left?"

"Yeah. I know, it was a...cruddy thing to do. As was blowing you off at the mall." Lisa giggled and turned deeper red, momentarily puzzling Aggie. "...Oh. Bad choice of words there. Anyway, I'm so sorry, Lis. I never meant to hurt your feelings."

"Don't worry about it, Ms. I Can't Swear."

Aggie smiled, shook her head, looked down. Her smile suddenly vanished. "Lisa? Am I gay? Or bi? Or bicurious or whatever the latest term from GLAAD is?"

"I can't read your mind, or your girly-parts, Ag. But given how long and hard--hehe, I said 'long and hard'--you crushed on Marshall, I seriously doubt you're exclusively gay. If it were Boy George or RuPaul, then maybe--"

"Yeah. I suppose you're right. Just as your liking mostly emo-type male celebrities doesn't mean you're anything but 100% straight."

"Who says I am?"

Aggie looked up and faced her friend. "Lisa?"

"What," said Lisa with a smile. "You think you're the only one who's confused? Who's still trying to figure it out? Just because I don't visibly angst about it--sorry, no offense--"

"None taken."

"--Doesn't mean I don't wonder. It's probably too soon for labels, though. And in the end, I'll figure it out when I figure it out."

Aggie pondered her words for a few moments. "So, where does that leave us?"

"How about as friends? Like we've been for over a year?"

"I'm down with that. So. I guess that means you've never...I mean, for me?"

"Don't flatter yourself. Now, I believe you owe me a friendly snuggle."

Aggie looked at Lisa and felt a twinge. So what, she thought. I'll figure it out when I figure it out. She rested her head on Lisa's shoulder and allowed herself to relax into her arm.
Michael Ezra

Postby tessamoo » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:52 pm

terrificness, dear sir! twist ending, but also extremely satisfying. i also like the idea of aggie dealing with her feelings, talking to lis about them, and them settling on an agreement to be just friends.

i lurves it!
tessamoo

Return to General Discussion