[9 Jul 09] She could do worse

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

[9 Jul 09] She could do worse

Postby Pakash » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:06 pm

Daphne has a point, I suppose.

Also, good on Lisa showing some self-awareness there.
Pakash

Postby brasca » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:14 pm

I agree with Daphne. Darren may not be winning people over on this forum, but she really could do worse and in this relationship the power is in her hands. The problem with her fixation with Marshall was the lengths she'd go to be with him and avoid awkwardness. Eating a chicken sandwich just so he wouldn't think she was some hippie comes to mind.

I'm also glad to see Lisa show some amount of self realization. My problem with her teasing Aggie over her love life is she doesn't have one to speak of. Other than crushes on people she'll never meet she's never been struck by cupid's arrow in the same way Aggie was when she first met Marshall. I think the best comeuppance would be if the same happened to her.
brasca

Postby MeganKoumori » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:19 pm

Never heard of Freddie Stroma.

(Quick Google check.)

Eh, kind of bland looking. He's ok, but there's nothing really interesting about his face. I'd have to go with Daniel Radcliff, despite the fact that his head appears to be getting smaller (Or maybe his neck is getting larger...).

I just hope there isn't an army of Lisa bashers afoot...
Alice Macher wrote:I hereby found the new religion of MeganKoumorism. Bow down, ye faithful, and worship her!

MeganKoumori's Hunchback Fansite Here
MeganKoumori

Postby Valerie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:41 pm

Lisaaa. Love that girl. <3
Lia S wrote:Valerie is right.

As usual.

TCampbell wrote:Val has a harem, but it's chiefly structured online at the moment.
Valerie

Postby bubblegum.pie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:52 pm

Okay, so I was (as usual) completely off about my predictions for this page.

Though I am pleased to see a cautious, more sensible Lisa.

What is it with Darren and sidewalks? He can't seem to walk down or across one without injuring himself somehow.
bubblegum.pie

Postby NCallahan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

Marcus cut into the story with his usual baritone laugh. Outside, God pissed on Castro street, the first nu monsoon of the season moving in. The pounding rain mixed with the satellite light jazz of the Starbucks oddly. "Were you really that much of a bitch to your friends about this? First kisses? Really?"

"Hey, I was sixteen!" Lisa clutched her mocha defensively. "I wrote manifestos about free MP3s. I had this awful Raggedy-Ann dye job. Hell, I was still jilling off in the shower to fantasies of Daniel Radcliffe and Freddie Stroma kung-fu fighting for my hand. Cut me some slack."

Her boyfriend blinked. "Dan Radcliffe? That guy who had Condie Rice's left boob grafted to his pecs?"

Lisa smirked and blushed at the same time, an endearing trick she had been practicing since those long nights at U of S FM years ago. "This is before he got weird. Back then, he was mostly known for poofing around the screen yelling fake Latin."

"I've got to amend my foreplay."

"Don't you dare." She leveled a dangerous finger at Marcus, took a gulp of her coffee, and went on. "Aaanyway, yeah, it put me on the outs for a little while. Well, I mean, maybe I put myself on the outs. What do you do when everybody you like in the world suddenly sprouts dumbass from their foreheads? I gave Aggie all kinds of grief about Darren for the better part of a year. And Daphne and Sara. And Fred. Let's talk about sex all the time, sure, but it's like my brain was set to call anyone actually having a good time a slut."

"You? I don't buy that." Marcus rolled his eyes. "Little Ms. Feather Bondage."

Lisa watched another couple rush by the rain. He was laughing at the absurdity of it. She looked wet and miserable. Their wet clothes made them look naked. Lisa sighed. "When you're young, you don't want to make all the same mistakes your parents do. You think you're going to do it better. Only, you have to be looking for mistakes to make mistakes half the time, anyway. So I didn't want to end up some guy's toilet or pity date or whatever. I wanted a cool boyfriend and wanted all my friends with cool boyfriends and girlfriends. I wanted everyone's life to be perfect, because when you're sixteen, you read a couple of books and think you know what the perfect life is. With a good help of false humidity, I might add.

"You expect everyone to be smart. And by smart, I mean, everyone thinks like you. Anyone who doesn't think like you is an obvious idiot. So if you aren't convinced, if you think your friends are all just living up to the same old stereotypes, you can't possible believe they can be happy. And like that, everything's going to be a disappointment."

Marcus put down his cup and ran his hand over hers. "What was your first kiss like?"

The satellite speakers shifted to bluegrass and Southern hell. "Maybe we expect our first kiss to set the tone for the rest of them. Maybe we think a bad one marks you as spoiled goods. Maybe there's some invisible test we're all expected to fail and then we don't get to be happy. Nothing's fair at that age. Heh, nothing's fair nowadays. Maybe it's all shit. Maybe the only possible test of a life well-lived is a first kiss you can forget about."

There was a pause. Marcus blinked.

"That's not an answer."

"You get an answer when you get a voice-activated rohypnol pump."

"Bitch, you and that goddamned pump..."
NCallahan

Postby Pakash » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

bubblegum.pie wrote:He can't seem to walk down or across one without injuring himself somehow.

Hell, he probably brains himself getting out of bed every morning. Which might explain why his conversational skills extend to "I...I," "Sorry," "Kitten? I'm the kitten?" and similarly articulate bits.
Pakash

Postby SomeCanadianWeirdo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:57 pm

The thought comes to mind that we might see Lisa interested in Jack at some point, which would be a bad thing for many reasons, including fracturing her apparent friendship with Katy-Ann and the possibility of getting sexual with him before either are ready. Lisa strikes me as the kind of person who might leap before she looks when it comes to her early sexual involvements.
SomeCanadianWeirdo

Postby NCallahan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm

bubblegum.pie wrote:What is it with Darren and sidewalks? He can't seem to walk down or across one without injuring himself somehow.

They sense his evil and they strike.
NCallahan

Postby Stratburst » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37 pm

Am I the only one who suspects that Lisa may be crushing on Aggie?

On the other hand, I loved Lisa's description of herself in the 2nd panel, plus Aggie's reaction. :lol:
Papuasblya wrote:Oh, Stratty, you made me get my heart meds re-calibrated...
Stratburst

Postby dianekikiula » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:42 pm

Nice to see Lisa being so self-aware. Plenty of people are annoying without realizing they are.

Jason, your homework for the weekend is to practice drawing Finister.
Evil Ben wrote:Diane, <snip> You rock, you librarian, you :D
Alice Macher wrote:...I love you. ♥
Freemage wrote:Best. Euphemism. Ever.
dianekikiula

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:52 pm

I can't get used to Lisa's smile in the first panel. It looks like she's wearing clown makeup around her mouth. Am I the only one who's seeing this?
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby Karp » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:02 pm

You know, despite my inclination to be all YOU ARE TEARING ME APART LISA!!!!! I have to give credit where it's due. She's actually really delightful, here. Her kooky zaniness is confined to a perfectly appropriate sleepover kind of setting, and so what's left is just a person who has high standards for her friend but respects her and so wants to let her make her own decisions. I have to admit, before this, I could never imagine Lisa choosing to actually go to a third party for advice!!! instead of just blurting out what was on her mind.

Seriously, it's cool to see this side of her. She's showing respect for both Daphne and Aggie, here. It's relieving to know that she also shows affection and friendship in ways that aren't just tearing-down-to-build-up or the old "Stop moping moping is self-righteous!" chestnut.

Also, don't be too harsh with Darren. I'd be off balance too if I was on the verge of PLUNGING INTO A FEATURELESS VACUUM!!!!!!!!
Karp

Postby flmnmallow » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:22 am

MeganKoumori wrote:I just hope there isn't an army of Lisa bashers afoot...

Word. What is with the Lisa hate?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why so many readers somehow equate "loud-mouthed snarky sarcasm" with "lack of depth, uncaring, immature asshole"? Just because Lisa doesn't present her opinions through verse or soul-shaking soliloquy's doesn't mean she's not an incredibly insightful, perceptive person. Her communication style may not be everyone's favorite, but there's rarely been a time when Lisa hasn't been right on the mark.

/rant.
flmnmallow

Postby bubblegum.pie » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:42 am

flmnmallow wrote:
MeganKoumori wrote:I just hope there isn't an army of Lisa bashers afoot...

Word. What is with the Lisa hate?

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why so many readers somehow equate "loud-mouthed snarky sarcasm" with "lack of depth, uncaring, immature asshole"? Just because Lisa doesn't present her opinions through verse or soul-shaking soliloquy's doesn't mean she's not an incredibly insightful, perceptive person. Her communication style may not be everyone's favorite, but there's rarely been a time when Lisa hasn't been right on the mark.

/rant.

Personally? I kind of relate her to people I have met before. People who have annoyed the hell out of me for being so difficult to communicate with on a personal level, because all they can do is say strange things that do not invite much back-and-forth conversation. That often gave me the impression that I was just a wall with facial expressions to these kinds of people, that I could be talked at, but unnecessary for actual conversation.

I don't think the issue was with how perceptive she could or couldn't be, I think it was more "what exactly does she bring to this comic except snarky one-liners?". Apparently, we might find out in this current story arc.
bubblegum.pie

Next

Return to General Discussion