Re-read week 69: Dinner for Six 45 - 50

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 69: Dinner for Six 45 - 50

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Dinner for Six 45 46 47 48 49 50
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 69: Dinner for Six 45 - 50

Postby brasca » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Referring to someone's deceased mother as wormfood has little to do with rust euphemisms. I know Charisma is hot, but it's amazing she's even gotten this far with Nick with so little tact.

And of course this will come as no surprise from me, but chibi Helen could use a hug.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:39 pm

Good thing they never stay together.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 am

Now, when Penny talks about "couch-potato[ing] through everything, is she referring to Shelly and Helen as well as her dad? Cause, if so, geez! A little sensitivity training was definitely in order even then!
Twitcher

Postby CEOIII » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:54 pm

I think they were there to depict that Penny has better parents than them.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:51 pm

Evidence that "Dinner for Six" reads much better several strips at a time: no one's commented yet on the first strip in this week's sequence. At the time it ran, it was the P&A comic that gathered by far the biggest number of negative reactions to that point. That same day, T did something he (as far as I know) had never done before and has only once done since (with a certain QUILTBAG installment): started a separate thread to address the criticisms.

Given that I read "Dinner for Six" all at once, my first reaction upon finding those old forum threads was, "Really? The 'Nick getting knocked out' strip wasn't that bad." But then it occurred to me that the arc had been running for well over three months by that point, one strip at a time, and people were getting impatient for there to be some sort of resolution to all these misunderstandings floating around.

Not only that, but as Shadrach commented at the time, that installment highlighted the pitfalls of doing a farce in serial format (like a comic strip) rather than served up all at once (like a play, self-contained TV episode, or film). It's easier for us to process a whole number of character misunderstandings, convoluted slapstick coincidences, and overall goofiness when we view it all at once, in quick succession, so our left brain hemispheres don't have time to go "WTF? That's not plausible." Timing and pacing are key, and for all of the good bits in "Dinner for SIx," it seemed a webcomic story running one installment at a time for several months wasn't the best choice of medium.

But again, it also seems that it comes across much better when read at least several strips at once.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Twitcher » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:40 pm

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not talking much about those scenes because they've been talked to death, and I find myself quickly skipping through them so as not to ignite my nerd-rage and the conversation all over again.
Twitcher

Postby timemonkey » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 am

I'm just kind of waiting for the story to end and we get closer and closer to things that are interesting.
timemonkey

Return to General Discussion