Re-read week 68: Dinner for Six 38 - 44

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 68: Dinner for Six 38 - 44

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:02 pm

Dinner for Six 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 68: Dinner for Six 38 - 44

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:19 pm

Strip #39: While "You were put on this Earth to slow me down!" is the cruelest thing Charisma says in P&A, "What? She's hot! Are you gay, or just blind?" has to be the most... WTF thing she says. So...Marshall should accept his new "stepsister"-to-be because she's eye-candy? Because maybe if he plays his cards right...? I don't even know. v__v

And to top it all off, Charisma knows Marshall has a girlfriend. Like...what is she even thinking?
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby CEOIII » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 am

And yet another hint towards Ag's sexuality.

This is why I never liked Three's Company. If everyone sat down and talked for two damn minutes, there'd be no show. NO ONE is on the same page here. The Cleveland Browns are more organized.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby Twitcher » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:09 am

Charisma is just... so, ugh. We're supposed to feel pity, and even sympathy for her, and given that we're shown that she came from a difficult background, the narrative demands it of us. But when you can't handle a kid... why did she keep Marshall? As a status symbol? Is that why he's so uncomfortable with, and yet so used to, being objectified by women? Run, Marshall! Run far away from your weird-as-hell mom!

And I know Penny's supposed to be kinda shallow, but I have a really hard time buying that any kid who suspected their parents of cheating would be completely happy about it. You know what woulda saved this storyline? Penny regressing; burbling snot-nosedly and sobbingly to her dad about how she was sorry she said that tired was wrong (even though that would have nothing to do with anything whether her dad was cheating or not) asking if he still loved her mom, and please not to go away and leave mommy and Penny alone. Her dad, of course, would think Penny was worried about his health, reassure Pen that of course he would still be around for them, and then Penny might think that the affair was a good thing. I'd buy that as a farce, because it's much less wacky, and more organically ignorant.
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:29 am

Is she encouraging incest? That's gross! Eww. DX
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:56 am

Twitcher wrote:Charisma is just... so, ugh. We're supposed to feel pity, and even sympathy for her, and given that we're shown that she came from a difficult background, the narrative demands it of us. But when you can't handle a kid... why did she keep Marshall? As a status symbol? Is that why he's so uncomfortable with, and yet so used to, being objectified by women? Run, Marshall! Run far away from your weird-as-hell mom!

And I know Penny's supposed to be kinda shallow, but I have a really hard time buying that any kid who suspected their parents of cheating would be completely happy about it. You know what woulda saved this storyline? Penny regressing; burbling snot-nosedly and sobbingly to her dad about how she was sorry she said that tired was wrong (even though that would have nothing to do with anything whether her dad was cheating or not) asking if he still loved her mom, and please not to go away and leave mommy and Penny alone. Her dad, of course, would think Penny was worried about his health, reassure Pen that of course he would still be around for them, and then Penny might think that the affair was a good thing. I'd buy that as a farce, because it's much less wacky, and more organically ignorant.

I don't think it's shallow, but it gives the impression that Penny doesn't think much about relationships having any permanence which might account for what happens by the end of the strip. I know she didn't want to turn into her Dad, but to condone infidelity and possibly the breakup of her home just because she's happy to know her Dad is pretending to be tired seems implausible.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:13 am

She wants the return of the dad she remembered and loved. Her parents staying together may not be that important to her, we don't know since this 'plot' gets shot down the second it actually comes up later on.

I never felt bad for Charisma, the backstory pretty much showed she put herself in the position she's in, one bad decision after another once she got pregnant.
timemonkey

Return to General Discussion