QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: QUILTBAG Queries: Ask T and Jason

Postby TCampbell » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:46 am

Xeph wrote:All I want to know is what Hank's deal was

Hank's deal was that he saw the body of one of his closest friends, an obvious murder victim, and then the town he lived in treated it like an unsolvable mystery if not an "unfortunate accident." This shattered any illusions he held about how accepted his own orientation would be there, and left him somewhat cynical about human nature in general. But beneath that cynicism, Hank's got a real heroic drive: he wants to help anybody struggling, because that feels in some small way like he's saving the friend he couldn't save.

Now it can be told: Said friend was asexual, not gay, but he was different from the accepted norm in ways Hank found all too familiar. Hank's crush on him would probably have been doomed in any case, but the friendship might've survived.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby John A Arkansawyer » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:23 am

So, was Elizabeth seriously into Isuel? Not just "sleep with" serious, but serious serious? EDITed to add: I mean, it looked like she dumped Monica for her.
And if I die today, I'll be a happy phantom.
John A Arkansawyer

Postby TCampbell » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 am

John A Arkansawyer wrote:So, was Elizabeth seriously into Isuel? Not just "sleep with" serious, but serious serious?

More serious than just "I'll sleep with her until it gets boring," but Elizabeth isn't the marrying kind. She wanted Iseul to eventually leave Theo for her. But had Iseul actually done that, then after a year or two Elizabeth would probably have begun to feel trapped.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Trefle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:21 pm

So the final verdict is, Iseul = bi (or shades of that particular orientation)? How compatible is she with Elizabeth-- since most of the times we saw them both it's either in bed, or in a professional relationship.

And the Hank background.....was that (originally) reserved for the A chapter?
Trefle

Postby svenman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:28 pm

Which characters, all in all, were based on submissions by forum members? We already know some of them, but have there been others?
svenman

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:15 pm

svenman wrote:Which characters, all in all, were based on submissions by forum members? We already know some of them, but have there been others?

I second this. It would be nice to see the full list, since it was an interesting idea.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby TCampbell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 am

Trefle wrote:So the final verdict is, Iseul = bi (or shades of that particular orientation)? How compatible is she with Elizabeth-- since most of the times we saw them both it's either in bed, or in a professional relationship.

And the Hank background.....was that (originally) reserved for the A chapter?

Iseul is definitely not on either end of the Kinsey scale. Hard to pin her down exactly because she only feels really strong urges that she acknowledges when there's also an emotional connection. Her dates before Theo hadn't gotten very far.

And yes.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 am

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:
svenman wrote:Which characters, all in all, were based on submissions by forum members? We already know some of them, but have there been others?

I second this. It would be nice to see the full list, since it was an interesting idea.

The only hallmates in the let's-all-get-to-know-each-other scene who were not based on reader suggestions were Sara, Lisa, Hank and Temperance. Professor Noton, Marie and Ronnie are the others that come to mind.

Fiona was inspired by an Internet meme, and my feelings that "being friendzoned" isn't always as bad as the meme makes it out to be. The LAZ girls were original characters individually, but the fraternity as a whole was based on a real one.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Trefle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 am

TCampbell wrote:Fiona was inspired by an Internet meme, and my feelings that "being friendzoned" isn't always as bad as the meme makes it out to be.

So much agreed with this.
Trefle

Postby John A Arkansawyer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:03 pm

TCampbell wrote:

Hank's deal was that he saw the body of one of his closest friends, an obvious murder victim, and then the town he lived in treated it like an unsolvable mystery if not an "unfortunate accident."

And he couldn't get the campus LGBTQ alliance interested, right? Which is where his reply of "Not enough drama" (or words to that effect) to Sara's "Too much drama?" about the group came from? I expected Sara to get interested in that and possibly involved in pushing the question with the group herself.

Or I could just be overreading. I do that.
And if I die today, I'll be a happy phantom.
John A Arkansawyer

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:46 am

While there was clearly more of Hank's story to tell, as you summarized it above, would Clarice have appeared significantly in any future chapters, or was the "U" chapter to have been it for her?
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby TCampbell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 pm

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
TCampbell wrote:

Hank's deal was that he saw the body of one of his closest friends, an obvious murder victim, and then the town he lived in treated it like an unsolvable mystery if not an "unfortunate accident."

And he couldn't get the campus LGBTQ alliance interested, right? Which is where his reply of "Not enough drama" (or words to that effect) to Sara's "Too much drama?" about the group came from? I expected Sara to get interested in that and possibly involved in pushing the question with the group herself.

Or I could just be overreading. I do that.

He couldn't get the campus LGBTQ alliance interested in similar cases, and wasn't willing to share much information about why this mattered so much to him, so he resorted to online grumbling.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Alice Macher wrote:While there was clearly more of Hank's story to tell, as you summarized it above, would Clarice have appeared significantly in any future chapters, or was the "U" chapter to have been it for her?

I had no further plans for Clarice. It'd be nice to think she and Hank could eventually be friends, but I think there's too much hurt and both have too many issues for that to happen unless they have reason to spend time together years later.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Lia S » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:21 pm

What made Marie so interested in bottles?
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby TCampbell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Lia S wrote:What made Marie so interested in bottles?

What's not interesting about bottles?

Marie is an aesthete with a strong interest in spacial relations and color combinations. And when she got to college, she had a chance to make her own space just the way she wanted it made.
TCampbell
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion