[4 Apr 12] Not on my sister, you freak!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: Gisele, TCampbell

Re: [4 Apr 12] Not on my sister, you freak!

Postby steveh11 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:19 am

svenman wrote:
brasca wrote:I know after a grammar class I tried to make a conscious effort not end any sentence with a preposition.

Prescriptive grammar like that is the kind of bullsh*t up with which we should not put.

Oh, bravo! Mr. Churchill would doff his hat to you. :-)
"Nature always obeys Her own Laws" - Leonardo da Vinci
steveh11

Postby svenman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:25 am

steveh11 wrote:
svenman wrote:
brasca wrote:I know after a grammar class I tried to make a conscious effort not end any sentence with a preposition.

Prescriptive grammar like that is the kind of bullsh*t up with which we should not put.

Oh, bravo! Mr. Churchill would doff his hat to you. :-)

Lesser minds borrow. Great minds steal. :)
Mr. Churchill can have his quote back now.
svenman

Postby CEOIII » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:37 am

*hits the Like button on this friendship*

....they don't actually make that perfume, right? It's bad enough they make that Axe shit.
I'm Charlie Owens, good night, and good luck.
CEOIII

Postby phagocyte » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:57 am

lol, I'm pretty sure i've seen "lesbian perfume" before, at least in Santiago. Uhhh it has the picture of the two feminine symbols intertwined, what's why it costs more??
phagocyte

Postby Lia S » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 am

I have two questions:
1) Was Sara going to say "fishy"?
2) Why isn't Fiona's last name Ziegmund, so we can have a running gag with people almost making Freudian slips around her?

IMHO Fiona is the new most awesome character. And Sara should date her sister.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Louisa » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:26 am

All we know about Fiona's sister is that she likes women and slightly dodgy perfumes. Please can we not start shipping two characters solely on the basis that they're both into the other's gender?
Louisa

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:30 am

Aww, Fiona's sister is cute! I hope we at least get to meet her, though I'm not sure how ready I am to jump on the 'Sara/Fiona's Sister' ship. (Remember, kids, shipping when you don't even know the character's name only leads to heartbreak and bad gas. *wags fingers*)

Though I suppose it's a step above shipping people who aren't even in related canons, no matter what cute boyfriends they'd make, so where have I got room to talk?
A wild LeBubbles appeared!
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

My LJ My DevART My Tumblr
Captain LeBubbles

Postby Lia S » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:36 am

Louisa wrote:All we know about Fiona's sister is that she likes women and slightly dodgy perfumes. Please can we not start shipping two characters solely on the basis that they're both into the other's gender?

We also know what she looks like and we know a tiny little about her style, the latter tells more about personality than you may like to believe. Also, siblings don't tend to have completely opposite personalities and points of view.

But none of that is as important as the fact that I don't need no steenking reason to ship whoever I damn well please! ;)
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Lia S

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 am

Lia S wrote:We also know what she looks like and we know a tiny little about her style, the latter tells more about personality than you may like to believe. Also, siblings don't tend to have completely opposite personalities and points of view.

I'll have to introduce you guys to my brother sometime. :/
Hexr wrote:Also, while you are all awesome people, I would like to applaud Captain Awesome LeBubbles. Sir, you're awesome, sir!

Captain LeBubbles

Postby Lia S » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:41 am

Captain LeBubbles wrote:Though I suppose it's a step above shipping people who aren't even in related canons, no matter what cute boyfriends they'd make, so where have I got room to talk?

That made me decide to ship Lisa and Rainbow Dash.
Lia S

Postby Rowan Hawthorn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:00 am

I quit ending sentences with prepositions when I kept getting slapped.

...er, no, wait, that's not right... :lol:
"Occasionally, I'm callous and strange..." - Willow Rosenberg, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"
Rowan Hawthorn

Postby Mr. Brightside » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:22 am

Huh... I'm trying to figure out Fiona's angle here. My first reaction to this strip was that she was toying with Sara's emotions, but now I'm not so sure.

She seems... surprised, a little? In the second panel. Or making fun of being supposed to be surprised? Which was more-or-less my initial thought. And then the exchange in the last panel: if she's defending her sister, it seems like a funny way to put it, as though she's trying to sell her own use, and Sara's response could be read in a number of ways. Fiona seems to have taken it as a wisecrack about its effectiveness, or at least found that a convenient interpretation.

(Because frantic, compulsive overanalysis has been hibernating since The New Reality ended, dammit, and must be saved.) ((Fashion nitpicking is a weak and paltry substitute.))
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Postby Lia S » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:01 am

I think Fiona was completely honest on this page. I also think that until now she had no idea Sara is into girls. She may be not too quick on the uptake, but it's impossible to miss that Sara is nervous about telling Fiona that she likes women. The way I'm reading it, Fiona thinks Sara is afraid to be discriminated by Fiona, so she mentions what the lesbian who is closest to her does before going on a date, to show that she's used to the idea of women dating women. Sara doesn't get it, so Fiona explains what she means.

I'm afraid Fiona is so what-you-see-is-what-you-get there isn't much to analyze about her. Note she's talking with her mouth full: endearingly unelegant, but literally not hiding anything could be a hint that she's not hiding anything.
Lia S

Postby MudFlap33 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:12 pm

CEOIII wrote:*hits the Like button on this friendship*

*does the same*

This has probably been Fiona's most endearing appearance to date--and I was certainly not sold on her for her first few appearances. I think she'll be a good friend for Sara, especially now that Sara knows she can move on from her crush.
adamiani wrote:Hormones are the real unsung heroes of this series!
MudFlap33

Postby Captain LeBubbles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Lia S wrote:
Captain LeBubbles wrote:Though I suppose it's a step above shipping people who aren't even in related canons, no matter what cute boyfriends they'd make, so where have I got room to talk?

That made me decide to ship Lisa and Rainbow Dash.

They would work together, I suppose, but I'm too busy making Rainbow Dash go off and fight crime with Juliet to ship her with anypony. (And I don't ship ponies anyway.)

Captain LeBubbles

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion