[7/20/11]Reaction

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: [7/20/11]Reaction

Postby Spitewitch » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:48 am

Jenna wrote:I don't mind nibbling and whatnot. I just don't like the idea of saliva being all over the place.

Well...sadly, some of the best things in life end with everyone slathered in bodily fluids. The trick is not to think about the mechanics of what's going on and just enjoy it.
Spitewitch

Postby Hexr » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 am

SniperCT wrote:
CEOIII wrote:
*picturing P&A in matching dog collars and really snug leather*
*taking that mental image to the john for a little "me time"*

Someone more capable than me need to turn that into fan art.

English is not my native language, so forgive me if I misinterpret what you're saying. But do you really want fan art of "aplha male" CEOIII in the 'john' with a mental picture of P&A in matching dog collars and Really Snug Leather?
retrophrenologist wrote:
Hexr wrote:As a side note, I don't think I like that Wesley guy. He's got too much of Comic Relief / Replacement Scrappy thing going on.

Give him some time.
Hexr

Postby Lia S » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:29 am

Hexr wrote:
SniperCT wrote:
CEOIII wrote:
*picturing P&A in matching dog collars and really snug leather*
*taking that mental image to the john for a little "me time"*

Someone more capable than me need to turn that into fan art.

English is not my native language, so forgive me if I misinterpret what you're saying. But do you really want fan art of "aplha male" CEOIII in the 'john' with a mental picture of P&A in matching dog collars and Really Snug Leather?

Please accept this internet.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Lia S » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:33 am

The first panel of this page suggests that Penny does have a thing for Aggie's tongue. (By the way, do teens really say "girl-boner" nowadays? That's... I don't know.)

My guess is that Penny will be "punishing" Aggie soon enough.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby Papuasblya » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:42 am

Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby JackFairy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:47 am

...still ridiculously unsexy.

And I say this as someone INTO bossy "get into bed" commands, play-fighting, and ear nibbling.

The thing was, my issue with the last page wasn't that it wasn't "romantic" but that Aggie's request was awkwardly worded, awkwardly delivered, and the whole situation seemed stilted, confused, and mildly off-putting.

Same as her weird ear-licking move here. Yes, licking the ear can be incredibly erotic. Aggie's doing it like she's licking an envelope or something though--it does not look like it would be remotely pleasurable to receive. Mostly ticklish and weird.

They really seem to have negative chemistry. :/
JackFairy

Postby Semipermeable » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:18 am

Hello, long time lurker / reader here :) .

I just, wasn't feeling the heat here.

I think it is really the last two panels, the word bitch seems unnecessarily harsh, blunt and frankly insensitive for someone like Aggie. I think a clever little quip would have been much better, something along the lines of "I bet I can undress the prom queen... :wink: " Or "Oh dear, have I got some hippie green on your nice little skirt?" Perhaps a dare, a reference to spilling soda/paint/liquids on her in the past, I don't know, but something more along the lines of her early verbal sparring with Penny at the beginning of the strip.

When she kept her cool, and cleverly needled Penny in just the right places to get her miffed was Penny and Aggie at their best. Back then she was never this, heavy handed with her insults/teasing and I think here it is a bit of a turn off, and if nothing else a wasted oppurtunity to show Aggie saying something that really gets under Penny's skin. In more ways then one. :wink:

Also, the ear licking looks, disembodied. I can't think of a better word for it, perhaps if it was a soft kiss instead of a dog lap it would make the temperature rise, or if the whole thing was drawn a bit, softer somehow with some manga style sparkles or art effect to hint at the character's feelings to contrast the harsh words. Perhaps if we say more of their faces and their expressions showing their feelings....

I don't know how else to explain it. I know in reality a first time is often awkward, sloppy and confusing, but the 'heat' and the feelings are still there. I think the feelings are in this relationship, but I don't think the depiction quite shows it. :?
Semipermeable

Postby Adrishiana » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:58 am

I am kind of "enh" myself. I don't feel like I'm watching a rape in progress, no, but whether or not Penny is actually enjoying this is debatable. From what we can see of the last panel, her face is either screwed up in a pretty universal sign of displeasure or she's got her mouth open for a reason that is very much NOT displeasure - it's kind of hard to tell from the corner of the mouth only.

I'm reserving judgment until Friday, I guess.

As for "bitch" - it is, pretty much, always a sexist word. The thing to keep in mind there is that when someone calls a man a bitch, they are usually doing it to ascribe characteristics traditionally regarded as feminine to him, generally in a negative way. (Because, of course, to be a woman or to be woman-like is a BAD thing.)

I'm not exactly surprised Aggie is using the word right now because it is so common in teenage parlance and because, while Aggie is kind of starting to catch on the "words mean things," her experience on that front so far has been on the waaaay overt stuff (comparing someone not dating one of your friends to the systematic murder of millions of people, for example) and she may not have started to pick up on the more subtle stuff yet. If her experience follows that of most people, she'll probably start picking up on that kind of thing more in college.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:10 am

I'm just not buying that Aggie would go within just over a couple of months from "OMG OMG she kissed me what does this mean am i really attracted to her is she gonna try and mould me into someone else (etc)" to being the dom in a BDSM situation.

Not buying it at all.

If we find out within the next couple of strips that Penny is in fact enjoying this, that'll make it better in my eyes, but...this still isn't the Aggie we know. It's as if she's being mind-controlled or something. :?

Yes, Aggie did finish Monday's strip by saying "Now we struggle," but I took that to be a metaphor in light of their past history and Penny's words about struggling. Also, Aggie's smile, during Penny's words of comfort to Sara, was a sweet, kind, smile, not an "I'm gonna make you my bitch" smile.

I was really expecting, if they were going to have sex on-panel, something sweeter, more romantic than this.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby NobodySpecial » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:20 am

I was really expecting, if they were going to have sex on-panel, something sweeter, more romantic than this.

Penny doesn't really DO romance, and Aggie got kinda shorn of that romance with the Marshall thing. Not every couple is a Harlequin romance.
"I've always been mad. I know I've been mad like the most of us have. Sometimes I don't know if I'm mad even if I'm not mad." - Jerry Driscoll
NobodySpecial

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 am

Reading this strip again, after having slept on it, I still feel as if I'm reading Fans. To my mind, the BDSM dynamic between Rikk, Rumy and Ally does work because of their personalities and personal histories, particularly Ally's. But there's been not enough indication that Penny and Aggie would, because of those factors, be into this kind of sexual play.

Now maybe it's my own bias colouring this. I certainly don't think BDSM or kink in general is morally wrong, and am aware that many couples, both casual and "forever after," enjoy it, and that's wonderful. But it's really not my thing (nor Tamar's, but she can speak for herself if she cares to elaborate).

May I share something here? When I was fifteen, I had a boyfriend whom I'd been seeing a few weeks. We hadn't slept together yet, although we'd gone beyond necking. One day, I learned that he'd "volunteered" me for a threesome with a male friend of his. When, at my home, I told him that was not cool and that it was over, he told me that if I didn't go along with the threesome, he'd spread rumours online that I'd slept with the school football team. Resisting the urge to hit him (I don't hit), or to sic my dad on him, I told him, in my quiet, low "angry Alice" timbre, what the penalties for cyber-harassment were and that if he made good on his threat I'd go straight to the police. He left, mumbling the c-word and such, and I went upstairs and cried. He never said a word about me, so I'd gotten the message across.

Nevertheless, the experience left me with a deep distaste for any sort of "I'm in control and you must submit" dynamic in a relationship, sexually or otherwise. I just don't want any part of it, even if simulated. I prefer to be with someone who treats me as an equal in and out of bed, and who expects the same of me.

One of the many reasons I love P&A so much is that I identify with Aggie in her pacifism and non-violence, and in her gradual, halting search to discover who she is and what sort of person she wants to be with. So yes, I do find it something of a rude shock for her to suddenly pin Penny down and get rough with her. Particularly since it's not yet clear Penny's enjoying it. No, it's not rape, but it doesn't seem like a loving encounter to me.

No, I'm not expecting a "Harlequin Romance," but Penny does want some sort of tenderness. Remember that Penny didn't like it when Rich tried the rough, no-warning stuff either. She actually asked him to talk to her. He ignored her and flipped her right on her back, and we saw how that went.

I'm hoping that within the next couple of strips Penny has a talk with Aggie about boundaries and not assuming things without asking and such. I'm hoping this is just a misunderstanding on Aggie's part, and not a sign of either a breakup to come, or a relationship that would fit better in Fans, or the movie Secretary if both main characters were women.
Last edited by Alice Macher on Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby CBrachyrhynchos » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:30 am

As is often the case, I'm holding judgement until this plays out more.
CBrachyrhynchos

Postby xoxi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:33 am

I think this is one of those rare times in fiction where "and then she woke up and realized it was all a dream" is actually an improvement.

"She" in this case being Sara, of course.
xoxi

Postby Willias » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:46 am

Alice Macher wrote:
No, I'm not expecting a "Harlequin Romance," but Penny does want some sort of tenderness. Remember that Penny didn't like it when Rich tried the rough, no-warning stuff either. She actually asked him to talk to her. He ignored her and flipped her right on her back, and we saw how that went.

While I think Aggie has rushed into this, I'm not sure her initial assumption in today's comic was too far off base.

There's a pretty big difference between what Aggie is doing now and what Rich is doing there. Aggie hasn't made a move towards sex yet, she's only committed foreplay (even if a bit rough) so far. Rich there is just going straight after sex. In the comics following, Penny says she deserves to be seduced, that she won't just rush into giving everything up at once. In the way that Aggie understands their relationship to have developed up to this point, that's what she's trying to do with Penny here.

Also, don't forget that while Aggie preaches pacifism, she has managed to show one hell of a mean-streak towards Penny in the past. http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=424

Thinking on the strip I just linked, I can't help but wonder if this is also Aggie trying to work out some of the energy built up over Finister dying.

Edit: And thinking on this more, the comic you linked shows that Penny is more than capable of telling someone "No." and "Back off."

Penny is letting Aggie get away with this so far.
Last edited by Willias on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willias

Postby brasca » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 am

Alice Macher wrote:I'm just not buying that Aggie would go within just over a couple of months from "OMG OMG she kissed me what does this mean am i really attracted to her is she gonna try and mould me into someone else (etc)" to being the dom in a BDSM situation.

Not buying it at all.

Is it any more a suspension of disbelief that these 2 who were a just a year ago (in their time) mortal enemies are now engaged in a different kind of wrestling? Maybe it's a bit much for Aggie to jump in like this, but I think she's feeling her way (no pun intended) and who knows maybe seeing that softer side with Sara is the kind of thing that turns her on. Now the next time Penny plays crisis counselor she'll be living in fear of Aggie jumping her bones. It could get out of hand too. She might intentionally cause problems just so she can get Penny to solve them. Next thing you know she's bringing Cyndi a cake with a file baked in it. :lol:
brasca

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion