Don't Believe in Redemption (10/29/12)

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

Don't Believe in Redemption (10/29/12)

Postby brasca » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Interesting philosophical argument, but the bigger question is why is Jo evesdropping?
brasca

Re: Don't Believe in Redemption (10/29/12)

Postby Arky » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:30 pm

brasca wrote:Interesting philosophical argument, but the bigger question is why is Jo evesdropping?

She's an agent for the House Un-Spiderman Activities Committee. Her surname is McCarthy.
Arky

Postby Twitcher » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:36 pm

I fully expect to see Bodie (Bonnie?) being creepy sooner or later. While I like Rorschach, and adore the Question, they're flawed heroes who eventually see that moral absolutism is... not absolute. While Bonnie seems to think there's room for mistakes to be made, she's the one who dictates what they are, not Zach. And far too often, I've seen young collegiates proclaim the infallibility of themselves, their art, and the market in the name of Ditko and Rand's brand of Objectivism.
Twitcher

Postby sun tzu » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:58 am

No kidding. The problem with the Ayn Rand type is that they go "there is one, rational truth"...and somehow make the jump to "my opinions are the one, rational truth", as if it were self-evident.
sun tzu

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:05 am

This story is taking a very cerebral turn. Here's hoping that the Marvel editors (recall that, as T said in the first Webmasters post, this is a proof-of-concept story pitch) don't underestimate the intelligence and education level of its readers. (Goodness knows they, like DC, have done so before.)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby oddtail » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:21 am

sun tzu wrote:No kidding. The problem with the Ayn Rand type is that they go "there is one, rational truth"...and somehow make the jump to "my opinions are the one, rational truth", as if it were self-evident.

Few people who make a point of emphasizing that there is one Truth, rather than searching for that Truth, are worthy of complete trust. Or even the benefit of the doubt. Not to mention that having the absolute certainty that one Rational Truth exists kinda implies that someone (implicitly, the speaker) has already found it.
oddtail

Return to Fans