Can I Talk Now (10/26/12)

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

Can I Talk Now (10/26/12)

Postby brasca » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:05 pm

I don't seem to be right about a lot lately. She's not a Whovian or Shanna Cochran, she's Bodicea Bonningham, a Ditkovite. I had to look up Ditko in wikipedia since I don't know all that much about early Spiderman comics. I guess it fits that in this universe he's the godfather of reactionaries. Still not nearly as scary as a culture that might idolize Alan Moore.
brasca

Re: Can I Talk Now (10/26/12)

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:09 pm

Ohhh, she's dressed as the Question!
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:19 pm

Right, and Ditko's Question, with his extremely binary approach to morality, was the inspiration for Rorschach. Whom--it should be said, with reference to brasca's comment--Moore did not intend as someone to emulate. Moore gave him a few sympathetic moments, yes, as he did the Comedian, but he was openly shocked and disgusted when he learned that a considerable portion of Watchmen readers praised Rorschach as "cool" and "someone our society needs" and such.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Right, and Ditko's Question, with his extremely binary approach to morality, was the inspiration for Rorschach. Whom--it should be said, with reference to brasca's comment--Moore did not intend as someone to emulate. Moore gave him a few sympathetic moments, yes, as he did the Comedian, but he was openly shocked and disgusted when he learned that a considerable portion of Watchmen readers praised Rorschach as "cool" and "someone our society needs" and such.

Agreed although in glimpsing the biography on Ditko I didn't know he created the Question who I only know because I liked Justice League. I doubt Jesus would like a lot of the things people do in his name. Under the right circumstances fandom can be as bad as any religion.
brasca

Postby Muttley » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:23 am

Never come across FIAWOL? For many people, fandom IS their religion.
Muttley

Postby Twitcher » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 am

Is it Gail Simone? The juxtaposition would be... odd... so, does Ditkovism replace Objectivism/Republicanism/Libertarianism in this 'verse?
Twitcher

Return to Fans