Take on The World (10/8/12)

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

Take on The World (10/8/12)

Postby brasca » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:57 pm

I like how these key people are no one we know. One problem with alternate history fiction is the authors like to suppose that key people today would still be around, but not quite in the same position whereas I think there are people we'd never hear of who would benefit by the ripple effect.
brasca

Re: Take on The World (10/8/12)

Postby Thray » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Carl Icahn is a real person who is quite famous in the financial world. I would actually call him one of the major good guys: he buys out companies that are plagued with incompetent management, brings in a better management team, and vastly improves the company. Because he fires the old management so often he has a reputation as a "corporate raider", but the reality is that the only reason such incompetent people end up in CEO and board positions is due to a huge chain of cronyism that's very difficult to break.
Thray

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Also, John Romita, Jr. is a well-known comic book artist who's worked on a number of Marvel titles, including Spider-Man.

As for the other two gentlemen--Thomas Templeton and Emir Qaeid--the names don't ring a bell for me either; nor did a Google search come up with anyone of note (there was a New Zealand politician named Thomas Templeton Murray, apparently, but as for Emir Qaeid, no hits). So they may well be fictional.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Arky » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:00 am

He's starting pretty small if his mind is on world events and yet he's spending his valuable time on improving some college football player's running routes. Unless this is a master plan to become rich and famous by way of becoming a football guru.
Arky

Postby sun tzu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:17 am

Arky wrote:He's starting pretty small if his mind is on world events and yet he's spending his valuable time on improving some college football player's running routes. Unless this is a master plan to become rich and famous by way of becoming a football guru.

Or maybe trying to humiliate Thwip in front of his girlfriend so he can steal her?
Dunno. Not like we know much about Zach's morality and priorities in life.
sun tzu

Return to Fans