Page 1 of 1

Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 pm
by brasca
Need Fixing? Now I know who Zachary is... Bicycle Repairman!

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 pm
by oddtail
For someone who has done away all the deception, Zach seems blissfully unaware that three hours of cycling is not enough to be in shape.

It's "three hours of cycling, repeated regularly at least a few dozen times".

Unless I misinterpreted the strip and this has been going on for some weeks/months.

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:46 am
by sun tzu
oddtail wrote:For someone who has done away all the deception, Zach seems blissfully unaware that three hours of cycling is not enough to be in shape.

It's "three hours of cycling, repeated regularly at least a few dozen times".

Unless I misinterpreted the strip and this has been going on for some weeks/months.

...Why do you think he isn't planning to repeat this dozens of times? :?

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:10 am
by oddtail
sun tzu wrote:
oddtail wrote:For someone who has done away all the deception, Zach seems blissfully unaware that three hours of cycling is not enough to be in shape.

It's "three hours of cycling, repeated regularly at least a few dozen times".

Unless I misinterpreted the strip and this has been going on for some weeks/months.

...Why do you think he isn't planning to repeat this dozens of times? :?


"...and has little to show for his efforts!" - assuming the narrator isn't completely ignorant about how exercise works (and I'm always assuming an omniscient narrator in comic book stories, by default), I suspect the narration at least somewhat reflects Zach's own attitude. Otherwise, what would be the point of this little comment? So even if he is going to keep up, it sounds like he's at least a bit unhappy about having little results after three hours.

Or, for some reason... the narrator is?

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:07 am
by TCampbell
Zach is just frustrated that his body's development can't keep up with his mind's. He'll persevere, though.

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:28 pm
by Dagda
Oh hey, there's webs under the bridge. Some kind of promotional thing?

. . .Gwen Stacy Memorial Nets?

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:19 am
by TCampbell
Dagda wrote:Oh hey, there's webs under the bridge. Some kind of promotional thing?

. . .Gwen Stacy Memorial Nets?


The latter.

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:51 pm
by Dagda
TCampbell wrote:
Dagda wrote:Oh hey, there's webs under the bridge. Some kind of promotional thing?

. . .Gwen Stacy Memorial Nets?


The latter.

Really?

I'm equal parts impressed, proud to have caught it, and vaguely disapproving.

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:28 am
by TCampbell
Let me clarify a bit:

The nets aren't there because this world loves Spider-Man so much that it actually can't tell the difference between fact and fiction. They're there because the Stacy/Goblin story left this world very conscious of bridge safety. Let's just say jumping off most major bridges in America is one of the least effective suicide attempts possible.

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:55 am
by Dagda
TCampbell wrote:Let me clarify a bit:

The nets aren't there because this world loves Spider-Man so much that it actually can't tell the difference between fact and fiction. They're there because the Stacy/Goblin story left this world very conscious of bridge safety. Let's just say jumping off most major bridges in America is one of the least effective suicide attempts possible.

Yes, I figured.

More just shaking my head at the fact that the label I was offering was technically accurate. In a good natured kind of way.

Re: Things That Need Fixing (10/5/12)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:41 pm
by Arky
TCampbell wrote:Let me clarify a bit:

The nets aren't there because this world loves Spider-Man so much that it actually can't tell the difference between fact and fiction.


That shows this is an alternate reality alright, because in this reality I've just been reading about the Republican congressman who regards the Big Bang theory as a lie of Satan and sits on the Senate committee for Science and Technology, and homeopathy still gets research grants.

Gwen Stacy Memorial Nets would be positively sane by comparison.