That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby brasca » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:39 pm

I share the shopkeeper's expression. Spiderman's influence is responsible for stopping JFK's assassination and the subsequent ripple effect, but I don't see how it could influence events so the Axis is still around in the present.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby oddtail » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:46 am

brasca wrote:I share the shopkeeper's expression. Spiderman's influence is responsible for stopping JFK's assassination and the subsequent ripple effect, but I don't see how it could influence events so the Axis is still around in the present.


It could be a different Axis. At least once in the past few years someone tried to appropriate the term.

Plus, I get the vibe that Zach is just, well, nerd kind of crazy. Maybe he's referencing his favourite Spiderman storyline or something.
User avatar
oddtail
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby TCampbell » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 am

The "SInister Axis" is somewhat similar to the early-2000s buzzphrase "The Axis of Evil," but there's more actual coordination between the nations and there are six of them.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby oddtail » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 am

TCampbell wrote:The "SInister Axis" is somewhat similar to the early-2000s buzzphrase "The Axis of Evil," but there's more actual coordination between the nations and there are six of them.


So it's a Sinister Six reference? Cool!
User avatar
oddtail
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:21 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby retrophrenologist » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:25 pm

TCampbell wrote:The "SInister Axis" is somewhat similar to the early-2000s buzzphrase "The Axis of Evil," but there's more actual coordination between the nations and there are six of them.

Do they argue about which one of them gets to be Doctor Octopus? :)
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist
 
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 12:37 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby TCampbell » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:05 am

No, each simply believes that they are.

More seriously, the way the Western world has developed a sort of monoculture looks to them a bit like dangerous fanaticism.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:29 pm

TCampbell wrote:No, each simply believes that they are.

More seriously, the way the Western world has developed a sort of monoculture looks to them a bit like dangerous fanaticism.

And yet, even by rejecting it, they're allowing the Spider-Man monoculture to define them!
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist
 
Posts: 1485
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 12:37 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby brasca » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am

I can believe that under the right circumstances Spiderman could be this influential in American Society, but is this Sinister Axis what some talking head came up with in the USA or do leaders of rogue states really think of themselves like that?
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby EmperorSeth » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:28 am

You know, now that you mention it, why does Spiderman's legion of doom have six members? Wouldn't eight make more sense?
EmperorSeth
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:37 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby TCampbell » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:46 am

Doctor Octopus' original plan was for a Hateful Eight or Heinous Nine, but Doctor Doom and Green Goblin had too much ego and the Lizard wasn't Lizardy at the time of the group's conception. Why he locked himself into a specific number of flunkies is a legitimate question, but hey, I'm not a criminal mastermind.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Looking at that shopkeeper's expression, I'm curious: Is his face supposed to be reminiscent of the news vendor, Bernie, in The Watchmen comic? I can't help but look at his face in the second panel and think of that guy.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
User avatar
Zanosuke Kurosaki
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:32 pm
Location: Texas

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby TCampbell » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 am

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:Looking at that shopkeeper's expression, I'm curious: Is his face supposed to be reminiscent of the news vendor, Bernie, in The Watchmen comic? I can't help but look at his face in the second panel and think of that guy.


Might've been a subconscious thing on my part. And Gibbons' style on Watchmen had a lot of Ditko in it, and Ditko's Jason's primary influence on this series.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby Chistery » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:09 am

My only question: what combination of foods did you imagine him blending and would it pair well with vodka?
Chistery
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 pm
Location: Kirksville, Missouri

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby TCampbell » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 am

Chistery wrote:My only question: what combination of foods did you imagine him blending and would it pair well with vodka?


It's okay to leave a blank space in your imaginings every once in a while. If I knew the perfect diet, I'd be using it myself.
User avatar
TCampbell
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:57 am

Re: That's Diet Next Exercise (10/3/12)

Postby Chistery » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:35 pm

TCampbell wrote:
Chistery wrote:My only question: what combination of foods did you imagine him blending and would it pair well with vodka?


It's okay to leave a blank space in your imaginings every once in a while. If I knew the perfect diet, I'd be using it myself.


I can only imagine carrots are involved. (NSFW)
Chistery
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:32 pm
Location: Kirksville, Missouri


Return to Fans

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron