You Know That Thwip (9/17/12)

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

You Know That Thwip (9/17/12)

Postby brasca » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:11 pm

Thwip? Zachary Zyzzyva? Did Spiderman influence parents to give their kids exotic names?

And it would also appear Nixon didn't get impeached since he's got a street named after him.
brasca

Re: You Know That Thwip (9/17/12)

Postby oddtail » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 am

brasca wrote:Thwip? Zachary Zyzzyva? Did Spiderman influence parents to give their kids exotic names?

And it would also appear Nixon didn't get impeached since he's got a street named after him.

As far as I'm concerned, Zachary is a pretty normal, if a bit uncommon, name. Zyzzyva is a surname (so it's not like it was likely to have been chosen by Zachary's parents or their parents, unless someone along the line changed it legally), probably used just to maintain alliteration. I would not attach much significance to it in-story.

As for "Thwip" - well, this IS the onomatopoeia for a webshooter being used, so... yeah, you're probably right.

EDIT: apparently "thwip" and "snikt" are trademarked by Marvel... I didn't know that.
oddtail

Postby Muttley » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:33 am

It's also rather closely related to a classic gaming memory-bite, XYZZY, from Colossal Cave. If this has any significance or not, we've yet to see.
Muttley

Postby oddtail » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:15 am

Muttley wrote:It's also rather closely related to a classic gaming memory-bite, XYZZY, from Colossal Cave. If this has any significance or not, we've yet to see.

The name of the insect is related to "XYZZY"? How so?
oddtail

Return to Fans