Search your feelings, you know it to be true. (12/16/11)

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true. (12/16/11)

Postby Mr. Brightside » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Well... that's a fitting conclusion to a... um... story.
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Re: Search your feelings, you know it to be true. (12/16/11)

Postby CJ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:05 pm

I greatly appreciate your thread title. Very appropriate.

It does leave a lot of questions unanswered, as well as introducing plenty of new ones.

But, then again, the fantastical Fans story lines always do.
Alice Macher wrote:CJ gets a shiny, gold-plated Internet and a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates.

Hexr wrote:I think I'm in love with you, CJ. Hope you don't mind.
CJ

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 pm

Didn't see that coming. (But when have I ever?)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby gameboy1234 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Scooby-doo reveal.

Yeah totally confused here. Are there different timelines going on here? Was the kid not really her son? Are the future travelers all fakes? This does explain how "Bellhop" was able to talk to the chiclets, but introduces as slew of new questions too.
gameboy1234

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 pm

I'm still thinking that the Hand are time-travellers as well- maybe they've come back to create the past that leads to them ruling the world (even though it violates the rules of Fansverse time-travel as we understand them)? Doesn't Solson look to old to be the current-day version? Or maybe half-xenochiclets mature faster, I dunno.
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby brasca » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Well for everyone who guessed Bellhop was related to Rumy you've been proven right. I wonder if Bellhop is of the same species as the rest of the Hand or joined with them for some other reason. I've had a theory that the cuckoos might be one of the races the General conquered in the alternate timeline and to avert that traveled back in time to conquer Earth first.
brasca

Postby IS_Wolf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:31 pm

retrophrenologist wrote: Or maybe half-xenochiclets mature faster, I dunno.

Sounds reasonable enough, human-something hybrids often tend to mature faster than their pure blood counterparts, least when combined with species who tend to have longer lifespans like the xenochiclets anyway.

Half-Elves and Half-Vulcans like Spock are good examples of this.

Anyway, what is it with Rumy and her kids taking after her so much. I mean, sure there's the whole genetic similarities and everything.
But usually it's a better mix ratio considering that both parents are contributing. The whole spitting image thing is fairly rare afaik.
But both her kids are eerily similar to her.

I mean, run the comparison with Tim's Kids and Tim and Julia on the one hand and Rumy and her sprogs on the other.
And even then Dotty resembles Laura more as opposed to her own parents.

Oh and before anyone starts, I don't mean this as an Art Critique. I've got a hard enough time drawing stick figures, so I'm in no position to be judging anyone's art like that.
IS_Wolf

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33 pm

IS_Wolf wrote:Anyway, what is it with Rumy and her kids taking after her so much. I mean, sure there's the whole genetic similarities and everything.
But usually it's a better mix ratio considering that both parents are contributing. The whole spitting image thing is fairly rare afaik.
But both her kids are eerily similar to her.

Even Rumy's DNA is badass. :)
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby brasca » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:15 pm

It might not be the best match, but there could still be some connection:

Here's the alien that became Hyperman and what I assume the other Cuckoos look like in base form:
http://www.faans.com/books1-6/index.php?p=388

And this is one of the alien civilizations conquered by the General:
http://www.faans.com/books1-6/index.php?p=771

Now the ones surrendering to the General look shorter, but their species may vary in shapes and sizes which shouldn't be difficult since they can assume humanoid forms too. It might just be a coincidence, but the cuckoos might've sent back time travelers to avert conquest.

Since the holidays are approaching I don't think we're going to know more until next year.
brasca

Postby Davidj » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:17 am

gameboy1234 wrote:Scooby-doo reveal.

Yeah totally confused here. Are there different timelines going on here? Was the kid not really her son? Are the future travelers all fakes? This does explain how "Bellhop" was able to talk to the chiclets, but introduces as slew of new questions too.

It's not that complicated. Alien baby is not the same as future baby.
Davidj

Postby Freemage » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:43 am

Davidj wrote:
gameboy1234 wrote:Scooby-doo reveal.

It's not that complicated. Alien baby is not the same as future baby.

So you're suggesting Rumy has a third kid? That'd be a bit much....
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:56 pm

Actually, to me, Bellhop/Solson there looks a lot more like her older brother. Might just be me.
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby IS_Wolf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Freemage wrote:
So you're suggesting Rumy has a third kid? That'd be a bit much....

Well technically, the kid that got sliced and diced and the one that they're going to transfer from Ally to Rumy (if I got the sequence correct) are two separate beings. Even if one is the future version of the other, they're still separate entities with a different chroniton time stamps upon their molecular structure.

They're in essence the equivalence of Shiro Emiya and the Heroic Servant Emiya known under his class name of Archer from the Fate/Stay Night series.
Only with Archer not out to kill his younger self, because he hates his life. :mrgreen:
IS_Wolf

Postby NickFortune » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:06 pm

retrophrenologist wrote:I'm still thinking that the Hand are time-travellers as well- maybe they've come back to create the past that leads to them ruling the world (even though it violates the rules of Fansverse time-travel as we understand them)? Doesn't Solson look to old to be the current-day version?

Hmmm... so maybe we _do_ have a "Terminator" scenario here. The question then is "which team are the good guys?"

It seems increasingly clear that Gen.Julie has been less than forthcoming with the truth. Neither Bellhop nor Mech-Tech would seem to be members of Hyperman's species; We have prior evidence that the "mhuppets" are a species of their own. Wheaties can be explained as a successful attempt to use Animal's blood in the say the N. Koreans were attempting to do on an industrial scale. Who's that leave? Link, and Hyperman himself - who incidentally has yet to appear.

So: suppose everything the General has said is a lie. Maybe she's the only one of the group that knows it, but let's suppose she's lying. Let's imagine how the _old_ Maximilliana would react if you could show her incontrovertible proof that at the height of her martial power and physical prowess, she'd nevertheless get her backside kicked by a rag-tag collection of college kids who scorned everything she stood for. Suppose you could catch her young enough that she could still be persuaded that these "fans" had something she needed if she was ever going to outdo her clone-mother...

Then the hand could be the resistance from the future. They travel back to supplant Aegis and prevent them from creating a clone of the General. (And let's face it, given what Rikk already knows about Maximilliana, how might that look to the people of a future where Maxie reigns with an iron hand?). So the hand oppose Aegis, and Julie apparently allies with them ... but seems to have told them just enough to set up a self-fulfilling prophecy. A point that's bound to be picked up by someone ... although the mind most likely to spot it is Guth's ... and he's been persuaded ignore the unfolding drama.

Supposing the mind inside future-Di wasn't Guth at all? Who do we know who's talented enough to fake Guth's personality? Who has a strong link to the General? And who might like to see the old Maximiliana back in charge?

Or maybe the joker in the pack isn't Julie at all (t'would be a bit obvious). Just having Jesse/Di rather than Guth/Di might be enough to do it.

The other contender, possibly, is Tiki-Wiki who is turning out to be interestingly amoral. But I think T-W's big driver is exactly what he says it is. He preserves information. That ranges from future tech, to Dotty's sanity, to Will Erkison's DNA and maybe brain engrams... maybe.

Just some blue sky speculation

[edit]

trimmed some editing chaff from the end of the post.

[edit]

Also ... Bellhop/Sol-Son doesn't seem to know that Rumy has/will have a second son. Because he comes from a timeline where she only had the one? Or because Joseph wasn't her son at all? The first one might tie in the the Fans universe notion of time travel.

Speaking of which - what if General J is doing this so she gets to raise the third iteration of her genome personally? So the first one was the General from a Time of War, the second was the one created by Rikk and Jesse. Suppose General J finds herself insufficent to the task, but thinks she can rectify this if she takes charge of her own upbringing?

OK, this is getting weird, I know ...

[edit]

Why the Scooby Doo disguise at all? To keep Rumy from knowing? That could only have helped the Hand, I'd have thought. To distance them from Aegis?

The story arc is "The New Kids". I've been assuming that was because this arc will focus on the new intake of Aegis. That assumption suddenly looks unsafe ...
NickFortune

Postby Arky » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 am

... and we're going to get to stew on this over Christmas.

WE'LL GET YOU FOR THIS CAMPBELL! AND YOUR LITTLE DOG TOO!
Arky

Next

Return to Fans