(11/23/11) Be A Hive Mind

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

(11/23/11) Be A Hive Mind

Postby NickFortune » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:49 am

Whoops! Looks like the fix is in. Shanna's voice is odd, which could be from excessive shouting at Mark, but more given that we've seen two mind-controlling enemies recently, I'm guessing she's controlled. Rikk seems to have noticed something amiss, too.

Add to that, the fact that she's outlining a strategy that would leave them particularly vulnerable to MechTech's powers, and I'd say we have an extra member of the Hand who is influencing Shanna.

Of course, Aegis may be aware of this and playing along ... but this doesn't bode well, especially in a story called "Betrayal".
NickFortune

Re: (11/23/11) Be A Hive Mind

Postby brasca » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:14 pm

NickFortune wrote:Whoops! Looks like the fix is in. Shanna's voice is odd, which could be from excessive shouting at Mark, but more given that we've seen two mind-controlling enemies recently, I'm guessing she's controlled. Rikk seems to have noticed something amiss, too.

Add to that, the fact that she's outlining a strategy that would leave them particularly vulnerable to MechTech's powers, and I'd say we have an extra member of the Hand who is influencing Shanna.

Of course, Aegis may be aware of this and playing along ... but this doesn't bode well, especially in a story called "Betrayal".

I think Shanna's voice looks odd because she's under a lot of pressure and just had a highly emotionally raw argument with Marc. Now they're about to confront the Hand with the knowledge that the third encounter will be very bad and her husband will be among the losses. She's probably not sure if this strategy will work since the matter of betrayal is still vague.

Besides who amongst the Hand has mind control powers? Bellhop convinced the Xenos that they might not be working for the right side, but that's not mind control. And while their strategy of using comm links could leave them vulnerable to Mec Tech's powers she can't control minds only machines. However, Ult was mentioned in passing by Guth-Di so perhaps this unseen cuckoo has mind control powers, but as of yet none of the ones we met can do that.
brasca

Postby Freemage » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:24 pm

brasca wrote:
NickFortune wrote:Whoops! Looks like the fix is in. Shanna's voice is odd, which could be from excessive shouting at Mark, but more given that we've seen two mind-controlling enemies recently, I'm guessing she's controlled. Rikk seems to have noticed something amiss, too.

I think Shanna's voice looks odd because she's under a lot of pressure and just had a highly emotionally raw argument with Marc. Now they're about to confront the Hand with the knowledge that the third encounter will be very bad and her husband will be among the losses. She's probably not sure if this strategy will work since the matter of betrayal is still vague.

Besides who amongst the Hand has mind control powers? Bellhop convinced the Xenos that they might not be working for the right side, but that's not mind control. And while their strategy of using comm links could leave them vulnerable to Mec Tech's powers she can't control minds only machines. However, Ult was mentioned in passing by Guth-Di so perhaps this unseen cuckoo has mind control powers, but as of yet none of the ones we met can do that.

But that's the point. If the team is being told to respond instantly to commands issued over the comm-links, without question (ie, like a hive-mind would), then one who controls the comms would control the team (by making it sound like an order to do something is being given). Do it at the right moment, and suddenly, someone's holding someone else's guts in their hands.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby brasca » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:11 pm

Freemage wrote:
brasca wrote:

But that's the point. If the team is being told to respond instantly to commands issued over the comm-links, without question (ie, like a hive-mind would), then one who controls the comms would control the team (by making it sound like an order to do something is being given). Do it at the right moment, and suddenly, someone's holding someone else's guts in their hands.

But that would be a tactical error on Shannas part that gave Mec Tech an opening which is different than her being under some mind control and compelled to order this.
brasca

Postby Freemage » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:19 am

brasca: It could be a tactical error. Or it could be a mind-control-induced betrayal. The OP was simply suggesting that this could be the point where the notion of one of the team turning came from.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby TanaNari » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Or it's a double play, they want the enemy to hijack the coms, and there's a plan behind the plan so to speak.

They used a computer virus last timeline. Why not now?

Or the goal is to lose, on purpose, if by throwing the fight they might gain valuable tactical data. Remember- there's still the supposed traitor to sniff out- and if this was suppose to be the "decisive" loss, that might reveal who it is.

Y'know, aside for Rumy, who's apparently planning to take a piece of animal back home with her.
TanaNari

Return to Fans