28 Oct 11: Interrupting a masturbator

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

28 Oct 11: Interrupting a masturbator

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:25 pm

So... have we found out what Di's favorite movie is? She has posters for The Matrix and Lion King, but they don't fit the bill. Return of the Jedi, maybe?
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Re: 28 Oct 11: Interrupting a masturbator

Postby brasca » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Not only is that the best title for this thread that's also the best snappy comeback to an overused remark on Baxter's behalf.
brasca

Postby Sri » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 pm

retrophrenologist wrote:So... have we found out what Di's favorite movie is? She has posters for The Matrix and Lion King, but they don't fit the bill. Return of the Jedi, maybe?

I don't know. In Hero's Path she names a lot of books/movies or sees them in her dreams (Harry Potter/Batman/Star Wars) but nothing gets mentioned as a favorite. I'm betting you're on the right track though and it's one where the character sacrifices him/herself in order to be 'redeemed' and save the day. Or maybe she needs to encourage someone else to do so (if she's not the right analog)?
If men had wings and bore black feathers few of them would be clever enough to be crows. - Henry Beecher
Sri

Postby Arky » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

The first thing which came to mind is Return of the Jedi, and Vader redeeming himself by slaying his mentor. I'm just saying.
Arky

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:22 pm

Sri wrote: Or maybe she needs to encourage someone else to do so (if she's not the right analog)?

Possibly. On the one hand, Di has always seen herself as the hero of her personal story, so it's natural to assume that holo-Di is speaking about her. On the other, understanding that it's not all about her might be a sign of growth.
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby IS_Wolf » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Reposting this from the blog area.

Hmm.. Her favourite series is Star Wars iirc. Vader redeemed himself trying to save Luke from the Emperor.

Meaning that Love is the key to saving/stopping the upcoming traitor.

Here’s an off the wall idea, what if the traitor is Rikk himself? I mean, Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the Force and stop the evil Sith. Now who else has had a Savior status placed upon them?

We also saw earlier that Rikk was willing to set aside his own personal principles for the sake of his unborn child. So maybe he cuts a deal with the Hand for Animals blood to cure him, just so he can be there for the kid? And they probably end up double crossing him in the end, or the disease nails him. Hence why he’s not shown in the future where they come from.

I think that Shanna would only keep mum for Will and Rikk, and if it had been her, then she’d be aware of the whole trying to stop the past cliche and how that rarely works. Then again, I also have no doubt that she’d have no problem with her old version getting offed in order to save Humanity.

So that just leaves Will and Rikk. And Rikk is pretty much the last person you’d expect to turn on the Fans, considering he’s their heart and soul.
IS_Wolf

Postby Freemage » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:12 am

brasca wrote:Not only is that the best title for this thread that's also the best snappy comeback to an overused remark on Baxter's behalf.

Guth always did get the best lines back in the day.
T. Campbell (yeah, HIM) wrote:If Freemage did not exist, it might have been necessary to invent him.

dianekikiula wrote:My sig is jealous of your sig now. :P
Valerie wrote:
I'm leaving Paps for you.
Freemage, do you have a fanclub yet, and can I please join?
Freemage

Postby Davidj » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:23 pm

IS_Wolf wrote:Reposting this from the blog area.

Hmm.. Her favourite series is Star Wars iirc. Vader redeemed himself trying to save Luke from the Emperor.

Meaning that Love is the key to saving/stopping the upcoming traitor.

Here’s an off the wall idea, what if the traitor is Rikk himself? .

Rikk isn't her mentor. Ru is. And Ru wants something the Hand has.
Davidj

Postby NickFortune » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Davidj wrote:Rikk isn't her mentor. Ru is. And Ru wants something the Hand has.

Owww... And Ru has been getting all dark and brooding lately, quite different in tone to her calm determination to help Rikk cure Alsin.

And Di's wearing Ru's Gi in the infosphere message.

Would she really sell out everything Rikk worked for in order to save his life? Even if it meant losing his love forever?

Sadly, I think she would.

Mind you, my money's on Shana betraying Will with Marc. Going to be interesting however it plays out
NickFortune

Postby IS_Wolf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:47 am

Davidj wrote:
Rikk isn't her mentor. Ru is. And Ru wants something the Hand has.

Yeah, but Shanna would've had no problem with telling General Penny if it had been Rumiko.
Rikk and Will are the only two for whom she'd keep her silence. And Will and Shana don't have any kids, so that just leaves Rikk.
IS_Wolf

Return to Fans