You're... Cured (9/26/11)

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

Re: You're... Cured (9/26/11)

Postby Arky » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:37 pm

IS_Wolf wrote:
brasca wrote:
Oh I'm well aware of it. It would be cruel and blatant. I expect a little better than that.

The thing is Hilda saw one possibility, but Ally only got to ask 3 questions and didn't ask the right ones. It's possible that in the timeline that played out AEGIS didn't trust Feddyg to cure Rikk and Ally was just asking this to see if he could've back then. I still think the Hand is going to attempt to bring Feddyg to justice since he's a better target than Vermith and in the ensuing chaos Keith will break free. Consequently, the Hand makes lemon from lemonade and protects the rest of the world from Feddyg while blaming AEGIS which in their diminished condition would not be able to retaliate against Feddyg or the Hand or tell their side of the story.

One problem with that. Breaking into the Aegis equivalent of Guantanamo Bay to bring Feddyyg to "justice" isn't going to play that well, considering it's a Federal prison. Folks tend to take a dim view of folks breaking into prison to do stuff to the prisoners. Sure, they could demand they hand him over, but actually breaking into the place is akin to a formal declaration of war against the State. They'd end up with every law enforcement and/or military force after their hides.

Sure, they can handle that, but PR wise it's a nightmare, when you consider they're trying to pretend that they're the white hats.

Sure there will be a segment of the population who will like them, due to their own anti-federal stance, but that group is still a vast minority when compared to the Yanks in general.

Who said anything about breaking into prison? The Cuckoos would present it as Feddyg being kept in comfort working with AEGIS instead of being properly put on trial for his crimes. It's true that Feddyg has not been put on trial and that he's not exactly being kept down a hole in solitary confinement.
Arky

Postby IS_Wolf » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 pm

Arky wrote:
Who said anything about breaking into prison? The Cuckoos would present it as Feddyg being kept in comfort working with AEGIS instead of being properly put on trial for his crimes. It's true that Feddyg has not been put on trial and that he's not exactly being kept down a hole in solitary confinement.

We don't know what the exact "Powers" of Aegis are. Why else do you think I mentioned Guantanamo?
What they're doing could be quite legal in their Universe.

So you'd still end up with the Cuckoos making demands, that Aegis can quite rightly ignore.
Even from a PR perspective. Just as folks cannot demand that inmates at Guantanamo get handed over to them for "justice".
IS_Wolf

Postby brasca » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:17 am

Arky wrote:
IS_Wolf wrote:
brasca wrote:
Oh I'm well aware of it. It would be cruel and blatant. I expect a little better than that.

The thing is Hilda saw one possibility, but Ally only got to ask 3 questions and didn't ask the right ones. It's possible that in the timeline that played out AEGIS didn't trust Feddyg to cure Rikk and Ally was just asking this to see if he could've back then. I still think the Hand is going to attempt to bring Feddyg to justice since he's a better target than Vermith and in the ensuing chaos Keith will break free. Consequently, the Hand makes lemon from lemonade and protects the rest of the world from Feddyg while blaming AEGIS which in their diminished condition would not be able to retaliate against Feddyg or the Hand or tell their side of the story.

One problem with that. Breaking into the Aegis equivalent of Guantanamo Bay to bring Feddyyg to "justice" isn't going to play that well, considering it's a Federal prison. Folks tend to take a dim view of folks breaking into prison to do stuff to the prisoners. Sure, they could demand they hand him over, but actually breaking into the place is akin to a formal declaration of war against the State. They'd end up with every law enforcement and/or military force after their hides.

Sure, they can handle that, but PR wise it's a nightmare, when you consider they're trying to pretend that they're the white hats.

Sure there will be a segment of the population who will like them, due to their own anti-federal stance, but that group is still a vast minority when compared to the Yanks in general.

Considering that Bellhop can teleport it might not be all that complicated to break into AEGIS' prison facility if they can locate it and where Feddyg is. There's also the possibility that he has to be taken out of the prison to a less secure location in which case the Hand would act then. The Hand's perception of public relations isn't all that great and they might think they have a lot of public support. And like I said following the chaos of the "bad day" the Hand probably claimed AEGIS was at fault and with Feddyg on the loose people would be more interested in being protected by them than finding out what really happened.
brasca

Postby retrophrenologist » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Arky wrote:
IS_Wolf wrote:
brasca wrote:

locked up in a magic-proof cell

Bear in mind that Feddyg is in custody, while Vermith was at liberty- the Cuckoos wre able to claim that Vermith was a willing participant in Thack's scheme, who had managed to avoid punishment for his actions. It's harder to make that argument about someone who's locked up in a magic-proof cell.
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Previous

Return to Fans