The Q&A thread

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby Mr. Brightside » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:51 pm

Sigh... I kind of feel like we hardly knew this team. There's development, sure, but it feels so... paltry, compared to the first run...
(There has never been a signature.)
Mr. Brightside

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:58 pm

I've been meaning to ask this since Book Five, and now that Bound is being annotated, my memory just pinged me to do it. The "new" Brit-fan (whose name escapes me) that Jackie ends up getting so friendly with - is that her joining in the battle in Book Five, in the shot of their group of recruits? Or did Helena from Dead or Alive make a cameo thanks to the God Machine/actually existing (somewhat) in the Fans-verse?
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby TCampbell » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Zanosuke Kurosaki wrote:I've been meaning to ask this since Book Five, and now that Bound is being annotated, my memory just pinged me to do it. The "new" Brit-fan (whose name escapes me) that Jackie ends up getting so friendly with - is that her joining in the battle in Book Five, in the shot of their group of recruits? Or did Helena from Dead or Alive make a cameo thanks to the God Machine/actually existing (somewhat) in the Fans-verse?

It's Ingrid, in both appearances.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby brasca » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Maybe you answered this before, but due to the hacker wiping out the older posts I don't know. I've recently started watching the new episodes of Dr. Who and I noticed that Jayespin bares an uncanny resemblance to the Master as portrayed by John Simm. Maybe this is a coincidence, but they have similar hair, a lanky build, are mentally unstable, have assumed aliases and are time travelers. Am I seeing things again or did Jason Waltrip use him as a model?
brasca

Postby TCampbell » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:47 pm

brasca wrote:Maybe you answered this before, but due to the hacker wiping out the older posts I don't know. I've recently started watching the new episodes of Dr. Who and I noticed that Jayespin bares an uncanny resemblance to the Master as portrayed by John Simm. Maybe this is a coincidence, but they have similar hair, a lanky build, are mentally unstable, have assumed aliases and are time travelers. Am I seeing things again or did Jason Waltrip use him as a model?

Jason may have. I'll have to ask him. Despite riffing off Dr. Who in Fans a couple of times, I'm not really an avid viewer of the series. (Greg's influence accounts for the Professor.)
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby retrophrenologist » Sun May 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Now that Jackie has mde it big in Hollywood, does she still affect the the faux-English accent?
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby Thray » Fri May 25, 2012 3:10 pm

Given that they can teleport, why did Solson and his dad almost never visit earth? As far as I recall Rumy only saw him once before the cuckoos came down...I'd imagine he'd visit pretty frequently.
Thray

Postby TCampbell » Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 am

retrophrenologist wrote:Now that Jackie has mde it big in Hollywood, does she still affect the the faux-English accent?

Yes, though not as strongly, and she's not as blatant as she used to be about working Britishisms into the conversation. It still makes her feel comfortable. ("That means we have a chawnce.")
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Sun May 27, 2012 7:04 am

Thray wrote:Given that they can teleport, why did Solson and his dad almost never visit earth? As far as I recall Rumy only saw him once before the cuckoos came down...I'd imagine he'd visit pretty frequently.

There are limits even to the aliens' range of teleportation, and they need to stay on the move, absorbing the concepts of other sentient races, too. Beyond that, there's a lot we don't know about their culture.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby brasca » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:28 am

Since you've now revealed that Feddyg is dead I'm curious as to who all was killed when AEGIS was destroyed or if some people were incarcerated elsewhere. There didn't appear to be that many people on Jared's list that cooperated. Regarding the Order of the Dragon I would've thought Michael Hus would agree to get out of prison and while Xi was one of the hardest to beat he didn't strike me as malicious. Then again he might be incarcerated by China's AEGIS equivalent. I don't know how much has changed since FIB was reorganized.
brasca

Postby TCampbell » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:23 pm

brasca wrote:Since you've now revealed that Feddyg is dead I'm curious as to who all was killed when AEGIS was destroyed or if some people were incarcerated elsewhere. There didn't appear to be that many people on Jared's list that cooperated. Regarding the Order of the Dragon I would've thought Michael Hus would agree to get out of prison and while Xi was one of the hardest to beat he didn't strike me as malicious. Then again he might be incarcerated by China's AEGIS equivalent. I don't know how much has changed since FIB was reorganized.

I always meant to get around to Hus and Xi, but in my mind neither of them lasted long in prison, and neither ended up in AEGIS, but in similarly-designed cells closer to their home territory. Hus' ego couldn't take the blow and he committed suicide by prison guard. Xi retreated to his books until the Chinese government quietly arranged an "accident" in his holding cell.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Thray » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:59 am

I'm trying to understand some time travel mechanics.

In the war with the original general, there was a point where they visited "the future that would have happened if the general hadn't attacked." In that future there was a reference to the "war against the aliens".

Question 1: were these aliens the cuckoos?
Question 2: does that mean that if the general had never attacked, the faans would have defeated the cuckoos on their first try, without needing time travel?
Thray

Postby sun tzu » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:58 pm

Thray wrote:I'm trying to understand some time travel mechanics.

In the war with the original general, there was a point where they visited "the future that would have happened if the general hadn't attacked." In that future there was a reference to the "war against the aliens".

Question 2: does that mean that if the general had never attacked, the faans would have defeated the cuckoos on their first try, without needing time travel?

Unless this has been retconned since, I'm pretty sure those aliens were the Eaters (the disembodied mouths that tried to invade back during the Mr. Mist arc).
sun tzu

Postby brasca » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:59 pm

TCampbell wrote:
brasca wrote:Since you've now revealed that Feddyg is dead I'm curious as to who all was killed when AEGIS was destroyed or if some people were incarcerated elsewhere. There didn't appear to be that many people on Jared's list that cooperated. Regarding the Order of the Dragon I would've thought Michael Hus would agree to get out of prison and while Xi was one of the hardest to beat he didn't strike me as malicious. Then again he might be incarcerated by China's AEGIS equivalent. I don't know how much has changed since FIB was reorganized.

I always meant to get around to Hus and Xi, but in my mind neither of them lasted long in prison, and neither ended up in AEGIS, but in similarly-designed cells closer to their home territory. Hus' ego couldn't take the blow and he committed suicide by prison guard. Xi retreated to his books until the Chinese government quietly arranged an "accident" in his holding cell.

Makes me think you were alluding to that when Keith mentioned being transferred to a less secure facility where something could happen to him without actually saying it. I like exposition, but admittedly it can get clunky. I know Gorzynski would never cooperate since he'd be content dying with the knowledge that humanity was about to be wiped out, but was he at AEGIS or a European prison since he was some important official at the Vatican? It probably doesn't matter, but my curiosity is piqued.
brasca

Postby TCampbell » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:54 pm

sun tzu wrote:
Thray wrote:I'm trying to understand some time travel mechanics.

Unless this has been retconned since, I'm pretty sure those aliens were the Eaters (the disembodied mouths that tried to invade back during the Mr. Mist arc).

Sun Tzu is correct.
TCampbell
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Fans