The Q&A thread

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby TCampbell » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:52 pm

katiuska wrote:Without giving too much away, how/why does Rikk step out of the portal with the satanic markings at the end of What Dreams May Come? On first read, I thought it might be some kind of illusion specifically to allow Rikk to gain the advantage, but looking back on the text, I'm wondering if I don't understand the true nature of the markings (after we see Rikk return to normal, we immediately cut to him being told that the being he's offering his soul to isn't Satan).

To be honest, I regret that particular plot twist as I don't think it's remotely clear, but you were pretty much right the first time. The markings were to cloud Mist's eyes, and part of the divine protection Rikk received.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TappingtheLine » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:31 am

When Shanna has to give the leader's speech in Rikk's place, she mentions something like "Rikk sees the good in everyone, the potential, whereas I see the fault lines, the cracks, the vulnerabilities." Along those lines, what does Will see?
TCampbell wrote:Not that they're not lovable, but that conversation isn't really between Di and her own breasts.
TappingtheLine

Postby TCampbell » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:29 am

TappingtheLine wrote:When Shanna has to give the leader's speech in Rikk's place, she mentions something like "Rikk sees the good in everyone, the potential, whereas I see the fault lines, the cracks, the vulnerabilities." Along those lines, what does Will see?

Will sees the potential for utility. He's most comfortable as a man of action, though he still hasn't entirely admitted that to himself. I don't wanna say people are just tools to him, but it's the "tool side" he sees consistently whether he likes them or not. Will has often been less assertive and outgoing than Rikk or Shanna, though, so this perception of his isn't always keenly felt.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TappingtheLine » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:45 pm

Since Mohammed's death, has anyone in AEGIS been taking the time to simply talk to the xenochiclets there in the interests of making sure they're treated like more than tools?
TCampbell wrote:Not that they're not lovable, but that conversation isn't really between Di and her own breasts.
TappingtheLine

Postby TCampbell » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:20 pm

TappingtheLine wrote:Since Mohammed's death, has anyone in AEGIS been taking the time to simply talk to the xenochiclets there in the interests of making sure they're treated like more than tools?

Rumy continues to have the best relationship with them, but Will's at least somewhat conscientious about it.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TappingtheLine » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:22 pm

What did Bax mean, during The Princess and the Frog, when he said "My head is in my head"?
TappingtheLine

Postby TCampbell » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:37 am

TappingtheLine wrote:What did Bax mean, during The Princess and the Frog, when he said "My head is in my head"?

People say something's "just in your head" as if you could just turn off a switch in your brain and say "You're right, I'm just being silly." This is appropriate when it's, say, an adult phobia of monsters under your bed. It's pretty simplistic and condescending, though, when you're talking about a self-perception that informs many aspects of the person's identity. Baxter has a big belief system centered around his essential unattractiveness, big enough that it feels like his whole head, and he can't switch that off because he has nothing to replace it with.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Sri » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:32 pm

So you probably just meant this as a kind of tossed off line but I have to ask. What was the movie Will was in? Was it one of the stereotyped tough guy roles he hated or one of the few stretches where he just flopped (like the Seinfeld act we saw a piece of)?
If men had wings and bore black feathers few of them would be clever enough to be crows. - Henry Beecher
Sri

Postby TappingtheLine » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:07 pm

At the end of Singles Night, when Kath says she's felt like she'd been transformed into the hottie, what specifically was she referring to?
TappingtheLine

Postby TCampbell » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:20 pm

Sri wrote:So you probably just meant this as a kind of tossed off line but I have to ask. What was the movie Will was in? Was it one of the stereotyped tough guy roles he hated or one of the few stretches where he just flopped (like the Seinfeld act we saw a piece of)?

It was one of his stereotyped tough guy roles, in a not-very-good action movie. His career was reaching Jean Claude Van Damme hell at that point.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby TCampbell » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:26 pm

TappingtheLine wrote:At the end of Singles Night, when Kath says she's felt like she'd been transformed into the hottie, what specifically was she referring to?

College. In the second Fans story, Kath narrates her own story, which begins with her as an overweight outcast in high school, then moves her to college and the science-fiction club, where the lack of competition and somewhat different standards of beauty made her feel very much more attractive than before.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Drakkin the alien » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:21 am

Back then, when the Order of the Dragon were still hooded shadows, this one with Cat Eyes and short arms was shown. He claimed to have an agent inside Alpha Team. Sasha was new there and was still a cat-girl.
I got memories of one page of comic that showed an actual cat paw under the sleeves of the hooded cat-eyed guy. Then the page was removed. I think it was removed. Or maybe i remember a diferent timeline :D
Shanna's thoughts of the cuasi-betrayal of Sasha has brought this to my mind.
Was there an avatar of certain "blue troll's genius evil cat pet" in the original storyline idea??
Drakkin the alien

Postby TCampbell » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:52 am

Drakkin the alien wrote:Back then, when the Order of the Dragon were still hooded shadows, this one with Cat Eyes and short arms was shown. He claimed to have an agent inside Alpha Team. Sasha was new there and was still a cat-girl.
I got memories of one page of comic that showed an actual cat paw under the sleeves of the hooded cat-eyed guy. Then the page was removed. I think it was removed. Or maybe i remember a diferent timeline :D
Shanna's thoughts of the cuasi-betrayal of Sasha has brought this to my mind.
Was there an avatar of certain "blue troll's genius evil cat pet" in the original storyline idea??

I can honestly say we never thought of that.

We used the Order of the Dragon's catlike eyes as a red herring early on, having them show up in place of Hilda's dad's cats, but I'm pretty sure we never showed one with a cat's paw.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:46 pm

What happened to Beau, Rumy's student from 'Sir Yes Sir'?
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby TCampbell » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:46 pm

You'll see him cameo soon, actually. Short version: he had the skill but not the passion to become Rumy's first choice for a replacement and eventually got placed in another department.
TCampbell
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Fans