The Q&A thread

Science-fiction fans discuss other science-fiction fans, who are fiction.

Re: The Q&A thread

Postby brasca » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:06 am

TCampbell wrote:
Bozeman wrote:Real quick: what are Will and Shanna's exact positions within AEGIS? I'm still fuzzy after reading it a few times. Did Shanna take Jared's place, or Will's when HE took Jared's place?

Shanna took Jared's place, and Will essentially stayed put. That's the official ranking, but as Rikk did with Jared, Will is going to be providing Shanna a lot of support and consultation in her new role-- even more so, given their relationship. After her brush with death in the Oval Office, the Erixons are agreed that it's time for her to get out of the line of fire.

That's what I thought, but then I was confused when Shanna was asking Will for permission to include the latest training session in her book. I thought Jared was their superior who gave Rikk free reign. I'm thinking the whole permission asking was a joke that I misinterpreted.
brasca

The Q&A thread

Postby Altairkiasco » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 pm

So this isn't strictly a question about any one part of Fans, but on the project as a whole. I tried looking through before asking, but I couldn't find any prior talk about it so I figured I'd take a shot.

Since Fans is sadly coming to an end, would there be a chance of releasing a compilation of the entire series? As webcomic artists are wont to do?

I believe I remember reading near the beginning of the series that it had been released as a comic book initially but moved to the web when it didn't pan out so well. It's just with the end of the series coming up, I highly doubt that I am the only fan of Fans who would shell out good cash for a solid copy of all of the comics.

So basically is there any chance of a release? Or a kickstarter to promote the release? This is perhaps the most well constructed, and thought out story I've ever read and while I normally avoid funding such things, I would gladly hand out a chunk of change for the chance to have a physical copy of this series.
Altairkiasco

Postby TCampbell » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Altairkiasco wrote:So this isn't strictly a question about any one part of Fans, but on the project as a whole. I tried looking through before asking, but I couldn't find any prior talk about it so I figured I'd take a shot.

Since Fans is sadly coming to an end, would there be a chance of releasing a compilation of the entire series? As webcomic artists are wont to do?

I believe I remember reading near the beginning of the series that it had been released as a comic book initially but moved to the web when it didn't pan out so well. It's just with the end of the series coming up, I highly doubt that I am the only fan of Fans who would shell out good cash for a solid copy of all of the comics.

So basically is there any chance of a release? Or a kickstarter to promote the release? This is perhaps the most well constructed, and thought out story I've ever read and while I normally avoid funding such things, I would gladly hand out a chunk of change for the chance to have a physical copy of this series.

Short answer: no, not really. We have sold CD compilations before and may do so again, but I suspect that isn't what you mean by a "physical copy." I briefly considered releasing a print edition of volumes 6-8 but I don't think that'll happen either.

Some pivotal Fans stories are formatted incompatibly with print, and the length of the series would make even a single edition cost weeks of my time to put together. I appreciate your support but I'd rather look forward. Hang tight, though... Jason and I will have a new project to announce right here, shortly.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby impolex » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 am

So now that we've seen Jesse and Julie in the ending I have a few questions. First, when Jesse first saw "Julie" he immediately recognized her. Now I know this could just mean that he recognized his old commander but there seemed to be something more her like he's already met the Maximilia clone.
Second, with this Maximilia present, is there going to be a second clone created?
Third, if in this timeline Maximilia was a time traveling hero who was created by Aegis ... who was the "original Maximilia" and why didn't she appear in this reality to fight the Cuckoos like she did in the first (if I'm interpreting an above answer properly).
impolex

Postby TCampbell » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Jesse was already aware of Julie's general existence when she saw him for the first time in his life. During "Betrayal," he raved to Marc about how "the General's clone will save us all." It wasn't hard for him to piece things together when a familiar face started calling him "Father."

I would say yes, there will be a new Maxie clone, though maybe developed a bit more slowly than in the Cuckoo-ruled timeline, and not named "Julie."

I'm not sure I understand your third question, but here's the short version. The "original" Maximillianna whom the Fans encountered was Julianna Espin Maximillianna, a time-traveling warlord whose soldiers included Jayespin. She "seeded" various timelines with her soldiers and her interference in order to build an empire of multiple universes, until the Fans (with some serious outside help) brought her campaign to an end. This was all covered in "Times of War," though Jayespin's existence in our timeline wasn't uncovered until "The Ways The World Ends."
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Arouette » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:03 am

We see "Future Dottie" in the finale, but where's "Present Dottie"? Or her brother Sean?

Also, how did Future Guth end up in Future Di's body?
Arouette

Postby retrophrenologist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:09 am

Arouette wrote:Also, how did Future Guth end up in Future Di's body?

Professor Fitz bodyswap, maybe?
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Postby Bozeman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 am

Dottie and Sean are children, and CHILDREN ARE NOT ALLOWED ON THE BRIDGE.
Bozeman

Postby TCampbell » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Arouette wrote:We see "Future Dottie" in the finale, but where's "Present Dottie"? Or her brother Sean?

Also, how did Future Guth end up in Future Di's body?

They spent most of "Betrayal/Breakdowns/Bababababababababa" in day care. When all personnel evacuated AEGIS HQ, their caregivers got them out. In "End Credits" they've simply been given other off-panel amusements.

Fitz's body-swap machine allowed Di and Guth to trade bodies. This was the ultimate sacrifice by Di, as Guth's body was badly injured and soon to expire, but she viewed it as a necessary decision, since only Guth could finish developing Jesse's "time-skateboards" and therefore make the mission back in time possible.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Bozeman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:58 pm

...but then why the Guth Glasses?
Bozeman

Postby Zanosuke Kurosaki » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 pm

Bozeman wrote:...but then why the Guth Glasses?

I would venture the guess "force of habit."
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Beep beep, I'm a jeep.
Zanosuke Kurosaki

Postby TCampbell » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Bozeman wrote:...but then why the Guth Glasses?

A fashion choice. They are not corrective.
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:06 am

Three questions about the Fans! version of Charlotte:

1. From her dialogue in "Fan Glam No. 21" ("They caused this! You all did! All the crap you've given me, blasphemers, bigamists, idol-worshippers"), are we meant to understand that Charlotte has, in her past, been a victim of bullying? Or (given the "bigamists" bit which doesn't exactly seem applicable to high school students) was the "crap" from others all in her disturbed mind?

2. Were her parents abusive towards her in any way, as they were to her P&A counterpart?

3. Does she survive her head connecting rather hard with a rock in "Backstory?"

(I won't ask what becomes of her after that, because given the lack of a Duane in her life, and that she's far more dangerous than her P&A counterpart even at her worst, I'm assuming that even if she does survive and avoid permanent brain damage, she's probably looking at lifelong AEGIS custody.)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby TCampbell » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 am

Alice Macher wrote:Three questions about the Fans! version of Charlotte:

1. From her dialogue in "Fan Glam No. 21" ("They caused this! You all did! All the crap you've given me, blasphemers, bigamists, idol-worshippers"), are we meant to understand that Charlotte has, in her past, been a victim of bullying? Or (given the "bigamists" bit which doesn't exactly seem applicable to high school students) was the "crap" from others all in her disturbed mind?

2. Were her parents abusive towards her in any way, as they were to her P&A counterpart?

3. Does she survive her head connecting rather hard with a rock in "Backstory?"

(I won't ask what becomes of her after that, because given the lack of a Duane in her life, and that she's far more dangerous than her P&A counterpart even at her worst, I'm assuming that even if she does survive and avoid permanent brain damage, she's probably looking at lifelong AEGIS custody.)

1. Not all. Let's face it, Charlotte is the kind of person who attracts teasing, and can't handle it, which attracts more teasing, and so on. She hasn't been bullied as you or I might define it, but the mental scars she already bore exacerbated her reaction to the teasing.

2. Absolutely.

3. Yes.

(Yeah, Charlotte-in-Fans simply is not a feel-good story. Neither is Meighan-in-Penny and Aggie.)
TCampbell
Site Admin

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 am

The recent exchange about bridge safety in the "Things That Need Fixing" thread made me think for some reason of Lee's 1971 three-part anti-drug Spider-Man story that, despite being U.S. government-commissioned, the Comics Code Authority rejected, so Lee issued it without the Code seal. How did that all play out in the Webmasters universe?
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

PreviousNext

Return to Fans