Introductions

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby jynni » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:47 pm

I am a fine arts major. Currently taking a comics class at college!! So excited. I've read this comic for a while. I also read mitch clem and joe dunn's work, questionable content, girls with slingshots, loserz, something positive, and megatokyo on a regular basis.

I love aggie too much to hate her. I feel at worst, she's no worse than me at points in my life. I like Penny too a lot, but I dont understand her motivations for being who she is as well.

Michelle might be my favorite, storylinewise, shallow and self absorbed as she seems. Sara is an intriguing character, but as of late her background "omg, everyone is gay" commentary is getting old. I want to see some more exploration of her before i see anymore references like that. Helen pisses me off a lot, but she makes good social commentary on how everyone is pretty much equally shitty. But her negative outlook drives her to be even worse than they are.

Lisa is cool. Im a music nerd though and her style appeals to me. I also liked what she said about apathy being a rebellion and pretty laid back and honest about her actions.
jynni

Postby Mravac Kid » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:32 pm

3 pages already? I guess it's time for me to say a few words as well...

So anyway, I'm Mravac Kid, just barely turned 30, from Opatija, Croatia. I've been a fan of Gisele's and T's stuff for several years now, and I was very sad when Gisele stopped doing CCS. As soon as I heard she was coming back, I was onto the project like a hawk. :p

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've been reading P&A since day one, and will stay onboard for the duration of the ride.
I also dabble in coloring now and then, and have done so to P&A strips on a few occasions... it will probably happen again, though I do not know when or how the monster will strike. :)
Ride The Wild Wind - Push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride The Wild Wind - Live life on the razor's edge
Livejournal
DeviantArt
Mravac Kid

Postby sopdet » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:05 pm

Heh, originally I wasn't going to bother intro'ing myself, thinking that I'd just lurk and only speak up on the very rare occasion. But, seeing as I'm more chatty already here than I was at the old board, I might as well say hi :)

So, I'm Katie, I'm 25, from Pennsylvania, USA. I found this comic when it was featured on fandom_wank, and I think I got hooked because my high school experience was sorely lacking in warring clique bitchiness, despite its size.

I don't have a particular favorite character in the strip, though most characters have annoyed me at least for a couple of strips. But that's ok, because it's more fun that way ;)
sopdet

Postby Ollie » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:45 pm

I'm Ollie, short for Olivera. Longtime reader and fan of P&A, and I'm 17 years old (turning 18 in July).
I really enjoy T's writing (I recently read Rip and Teri and I adored it) and Gisele's art. Which they should know by now. =D

I was born in Yugoslavia; my parents moved us to Canada when I was four to get away from the huge mess that was going on there. I try not to say which part of Yugoslavia I'm from unless asked, simply because someone from a different part could get nasty towards me... although up until I was a teenager, I didn't realize people from the Balkans called themselves anything different from Yugoslavians.

Art is easily my biggest interest and best skill, and anyone who feels like going back through the recent archives will find the guest strips I helped color, and there'll be a new cast page with my coloring job up soon as well. Or I hope soon!
Ollie

Postby daanton » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:02 am

Nice to meet you all. Welcome aboard!
daanton

Postby leonardc » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:28 am

I am a 30-year-old man in Cambridge, Massachusetts, working on a humanities PhD and hopefully finishing it by the summer.

I found P&A when Randy from Something Positive first did a guest strip here. I found Something Positive through the crossovers it did with Queen of Wands. I found Queen of Wands because somebody, somewhere, had posted a copy of the Vagina Dentata dance, and it got me curious enough to check out the rest of the comic.

I love philosophy, going out to restaurants, and playing board games. I'm relatively geeky, and used to be far more geeky, but apparently not nearly as much as some of the people around here.

I am not actually Leonard Cohen.
leonardc

Postby daanton » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:48 am

leonardc wrote:I am not actually Leonard Cohen.

hmm... I take it you don't sing??

Anyway, welcome aboard!
daanton

Postby leonardc » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:10 pm

daanton wrote:
leonardc wrote:I am not actually Leonard Cohen.

hmm... I take it you don't sing??

Anyway, welcome aboard!

Thank you - I've actually been around for months, maybe even a year now, posting fairly regularly on the older forum. One of these days I'll put the avatar that Papuasblya referred to back up again.

I do sing occasionally, at karaoke bars and the like, but not particularly well. My voice is probably an octave higher than Leonard's, though not high enough to actually be a tenor.
leonardc

Postby Kashi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:02 pm

I wouldn't even really call what Leonard Cohen does singing. Doesn't he do a spoken word kind of thing?
THANKS FO' THA PIZZAH, HOMESLICE!
Kashi

Postby oddtail » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:39 pm

Kashi wrote:I wouldn't even really call what Leonard Cohen does singing.

BLASPHEMY!

...OK. But, more seriously...

...BLASPHEMY! (ha, you didn't see it coming, did you?)
oddtail

Postby iRobot » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:52 pm

Kashi wrote:I wouldn't even really call what Leonard Cohen does singing. Doesn't he do a spoken word kind of thing?

Oh, c'mon.... everybody knows.... (sure that was too easy, but I couldn't pass it up)
Kyn, aka Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion
-----
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution."
-- Caractacus Pott, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
iRobot

Postby FortyTwo » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:39 am

Hello! I "discovered" P&A by following a link on the Narbonic message board to the recent tribute strip. I've been a Shaenon Garrity-worshiping fangirl for years, and I really liked the tribute, so I explored the P&A archives. I'm really impressed by the complexity of the characters; all of them are sympathetic to a degree, and that's a very difficult balance to strike. I don't usually read teenager angst dramas (I think so many of them are produced by people who are a little too emotionally invested in one or two characters; if the events mirror their own life or they strongly identify with a particular character, the stories can become preachy, unrealistic, or otherwise uncomfortable to read), but P&A treats it with a lot of maturity and wisdom. Also, I love the art! I can see Gisele play around with various styles (especially this week!), but everything looks sophisticated and polished.

As for me, I'm a music grad student at the University of California at Santa Barbara. I love webcomics; though my daily trawl is fairly small, I do tend to branch out and add things as I like. I started at Melonpool, where I met my eventual husband (the voice of Sammy the Hammy), who introduced me to Narbonic (and Shaenon Garrity, who probably thinks I'm a drooling idiot because I've not managed to string together a coherent sentence either on her message board or in person), which brought me here. I don't know how much time I'll spend on this board; it seems the busier I get, the more I want to post on message boards instead of work! P&A has plenty to discuss, and this board explores interesting aspects of the comic.

Just to add one more point of discussion, I identify strongest with Karen's character. When I was young, I got teased a lot in school. By high school, I was more like Helen -- I had very, very few close friends, but I figured out how to get along with most people. However, I had several opportunities to "reinvent" myself, and I've been happy with the results. I understand Karen's desire to not be with anyone who knew the "old" her -- I'm more comfortable with the friends I made in college than I will ever be with anyone who knew me in high school. I also liked Marshall's comments about Karen determining the course of her life. (Also, one change in my life has been physical; I've lost 45 pounds in the past year and a half.) I know Karen's not perfect; like all the characters, she's riddled with flaws, but I think she deserves more credit than she receives in most discussions.
FortyTwo

Postby Ollie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:05 am

Freemage wrote:I'm an Kirkegaardian Existentialist, which means that I'm fully aware that my decision to choose my faith was just that, and I accept (and embrace) that it is inherently irrational. Organized religion puts me into a frenzy, though. It also means that I know the real meaning and origin of the word 'angst'. It has nothing to do with black eyeshadow and fishnets.

Hahaha, best thing you've ever said. :D

By the way, do you still read Flipside?
Ollie

Postby Freemage » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:49 am

Ollie wrote:
Freemage wrote:I'm an Kirkegaardian Existentialist, which means that I'm fully aware that my decision to choose my faith was just that, and I accept (and embrace) that it is inherently irrational. Organized religion puts me into a frenzy, though. It also means that I know the real meaning and origin of the word 'angst'. It has nothing to do with black eyeshadow and fishnets.

Hahaha, best thing you've ever said. :D

By the way, do you still read Flipside?

I do, although the most recent story-arc hasn't been doing much for me, hence my relative inactivity on that Forum. I'm still holding out hope it'll get back to characters who are doing, instead of talking. I understand why he took the story in the turns he did, which is why I didn't give up--it simply didn't do it for me.
Freemage

Postby EccentricSquekers » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Ello everyone! Obviously I'm new to this here forum and so I felt I should pop in and introduce myself.
I've been reading Penny and Aggie for quite some time now and just decided to join the forum and dish out some of my two cents. I'm nineteen years old and I"m attending college right now. I'm a pretty easy going chick, I don't really care for petty fights or violence. However I do enjoy debating and I've been told I talk way more than I probably should. Heh heh. I"m a jack of all trades and a master of none. I'm a very curious person and I enjoy learning. Oh yeah, gotta love them nerds!

I can't remember really when I first got into P&A I just remember that I was intrigued by the first strip and have been so ever since. I love each unique character and the depth and complexity of each conversation and scene they find themselves involved in. I hope to stick around and hopefully get along with everyone! Much love and peace.<33
EccentricSquekers

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion