Cast Page!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Postby daanton » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:54 pm

Lamey wrote:Well, to be fair, Bob and Elmer were supposed to be throwaways. (Actually, has anyone used their names in the comic itself?)

Well, we certainly haven't seen too much activity from either "Fred" or "Daphne" lately, have we?
daanton

Postby Mr. Brightside » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:14 pm

And Xena hasn't exactly been a throwaway so far...
Mr. Brightside

Postby blueaster » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 pm

Lamey wrote:
Black Mantha wrote:
daanton wrote:Is there anybody missing from that cast page??

Of all named characters, I can think only of Xena. And she's only been named in the Q&A thread on the old forum.

Is Xena the scientologist girl? There is also Rich's fangirl. (the one that called Penny "Peggy") She's had just as many appearances as Xenu, but hasn't been named in the comic either.

I suppose Leroy and Brock aren't on there either (but they seem to be one-hit wonders)

Oh yeah, Robbespierre (what a name) and Dirk. They haven't appeared since that story-arc to my knowledge, and in fact have never been drawn by Gisele.

Another lost named character: "Yiv".

Of course, I don't think that any of these characters count as recurring characters, they seem like throwaways.

Oh wait... so that wasn't Karen's house?

Anyways... wow, whoever caught the two references to scientology by that one girl is amazing... Never realized she came into play more than once...

I wanna see more of Leroy and Brock :) cuteys.
http://www.tastyword.com/profile.php?userid=3381

^click to see what I look like! (and give me a hug too!) click on "Blueaster" for the blog.

Yes, I do lurk. I'm in college now. In the city. And I follow 7 webcomics and 12 blogs.
blueaster

Postby Ollie » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:42 pm

I was wondering why Xena didn't appear in the cast page as well, but I guess that's a sign that she's not really that important.

Although I didn't think Penny's cat was that important, either... <_<
Ollie

Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:55 pm

Well, we could add Girl-Who-Establishes-That-Penny-Isn't-Shy-About-Taking-Her-Shirt-Off-When-Others-Are-In-The-Bathroom. I mean, the cast page could stand just a touch more ethnic diversity, right?
Freemage

Postby Lamey » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:09 am

Somehow I don't think Xenu will ever be a major character - her purpose is to make one-off jokes about Scientology. Even if Scientology is pretty messed up it might be considered a religious minority. (ok, so I might use the word cult, but that's kind of what I'm getting at)
Lamey

Postby daanton » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:47 am

Freemage wrote:Well, we could add Girl-Who-Establishes-That-Penny-Isn't-Shy-About-Taking-Her-Shirt-Off-When-Others-Are-In-The-Bathroom. I mean, the cast page could stand just a touch more ethnic diversity, right?

Necessary cleanliness before required modesty.
daanton

Postby sweep » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:19 am

daanton wrote:Necessary cleanliness before required modesty.
Funny, I thought those things went hand-in-hand. I am joyed to learn that they don't have to be so ;)
________
Washington Medical Marijuana
Last edited by sweep on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
sweep

Postby daanton » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:04 pm

sweep wrote:
daanton wrote:Necessary cleanliness before required modesty.
Funny, I thought those things went hand-in-hand. I am joyed to learn that they don't have to be so ;)

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But definitely in this case with Penny...
daanton

Postby S. Edmund » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:07 pm

jeez, charisma and melody really do look alike. and I have to agree that the first three all look to have the same eyes, but with a cast that large it's natural for a few to have similar features. everyone looks postively lovely, and the coloring is really amazing, ollie.

is charlotte supposed to look like a man though? I know her jaw is supposed to be clenched, but I was wondering if it's just in this instance or if she's supposed to look like that in the comic, too.

why aren't bob and elmer considered attractive? the blonde (Bob, I'm assuming) is probably one of the best looking males, and the brunette (elmer, right?) ...well, okay, maybe he's plain.
S. Edmund

Postby Akilika » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:03 pm

Helen looks . . . really pretty. I can't put my finger on it, but . . . yeah.
Akilika

Postby Lamey » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Helen does look prettier on the cast page than she is depicted in the comic, her features are a tad more defined.

Maybe she really has blossomed :p

Charisma and Melody really aren't that similiar if you can ignore the hair.

On an unrelated note... Aggie looks a bit odd. Her liplessness combined with that expression make her look a bit monkeyish.
Lamey

Postby Freemage » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:35 pm

Lamey wrote:Somehow I don't think Xenu will ever be a major character - her purpose is to make one-off jokes about Scientology. Even if Scientology is pretty messed up it might be considered a religious minority. (ok, so I might use the word cult, but that's kind of what I'm getting at)

Meh. You lose the right to call yourself a religion when you charge for the religious aspect of your services. It's actually a nice, simple line that would cut loose a lot of the more exploitative cults out there, including Scientology, from the protections given to religions.
Freemage

Postby isobel » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:12 pm

Lamey wrote:Helen does look prettier on the cast page than she is depicted in the comic, her features are a tad more defined.

Maybe she really has blossomed :p

Also, Helen's two major appearances were in arcs drawn by R.K. Milholland of Something Positive. I'm hoping I won't rekindle that great art debate, but his style is a lot different from Gisele's, much more abstract and less Archie-esque. So...this Helen takes some getting used to, as does this Tharqa (Charlotte, well, she scares the bejeezus out of me either way). I'm inclined to think Helen's always had potential, she just never nurtured it because a) she didn't feel interested in primping, b) her friends might have given her a hard time for it, and c) by the time primping got to be a big thing, she already felt hopeless and just didn't try.
isobel

Postby Lamey » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:39 am

I was comparing her against her most recent Gisele drawn incarnations. (It's not easy though because Helen was depicted in a rather cartoony manner to depict her gossip reaction)
Lamey

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion