Friendships...

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Friendships...

Postby blueaster » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:16 am

What do you think of all the different relationships the kids have in P&A? This is a really broad question, but T has done a really great job at portraying a really large cast with relatively realistic friendships and bonds...

I'll start by analyzing Aggie...

So... It seems that Aggie and Penny were once friends before (even though this friendship has never been mentioned), I mean, it's pretty obvious that even though they seem to hate each other and fight and stuff, that they're on friendly terms and have been close at one point (although the fact that Nick never knew Aggie refutes this, maybe Melanie (Melody?) was closer to Aggie and was the one who was aware of their daughter's friends)

I'm really interested in seeing more of Penny and Aggie's past, and maybe even what exactly happened with Meg.

Anyways, so... I guess she's known Duane for a while? Or not... It's somewhat ambiguous... When we're first introduced to Duane, Aggie doesn't seem to know that much about him. So... aquaintance from a past year? Do they ever hang out outside of school? (My memory betrays me, even though I've read 95% of P&A two weeks ago over a two-day period).

... Anyways... She's friends with Lisa, Fred, and Daphne, and I guess hangs out with Helen too... but it was only after the elections this year, and even though she hangs out with them and stuff, it seems somewhat of a shallow relationship with all of them...

No one probably wants to hear this, but Aggie's situation really resonates with me. This year, I've started hanging out with a distinctly different group of people than I have the other 3 years of H.S, and it's nice and fun to talk to them and hang out with them, but no matter how much I know about them, I feel like I hardly know them, and they hardly know me. The only thing that makes me stay is that my best friend hangs out with them too.

Anyways (back to the point)... I realize now that Aggie truly is a loner, and has no friends that she can truly be open with her feelings with... except maybe Penny, recalling that time when Aggie cried about losing Marshall...
http://www.tastyword.com/profile.php?userid=3381

^click to see what I look like! (and give me a hug too!) click on "Blueaster" for the blog.

Yes, I do lurk. I'm in college now. In the city. And I follow 7 webcomics and 12 blogs.
blueaster

Postby Black Mantha » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:43 am

The only instance where we´ve seen Aggie socialize after school was when they went to see that movie. But just because we haven´t seen it doesn´t mean it hasn´t happened. The focus has just been on other things.
I do get the feeling that Fred, Daphne and Helen aren´t too close to Aggie, but I don´t agree that her friendship with Lisa is superficial. She´s told her about Karen, about Marshall, about her family life, and they just seem to have gotten close very fast.
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha

Postby blueaster » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:32 pm

please excuse my bad memory :oops:
http://www.tastyword.com/profile.php?userid=3381

^click to see what I look like! (and give me a hug too!) click on "Blueaster" for the blog.

Yes, I do lurk. I'm in college now. In the city. And I follow 7 webcomics and 12 blogs.
blueaster

Postby sun tzu » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:44 am

So... It seems that Aggie and Penny were once friends before (even though this friendship has never been mentioned), I mean, it's pretty obvious that even though they seem to hate each other and fight and stuff, that they're on friendly terms and have been close at one point

I'm afraid I completely disagree with this. Way I see it, the whole point of the Penny&Aggie conflict is that they don't understand each other. Aggie hates Penny not because of the way Penny is, but because of how Aggie imagines she is. As for Penny, she doesn't understand why the heck the class weirdo is on a crusade against her.
sun tzu

Postby daanton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:58 pm

sun tzu wrote:
So... It seems that Aggie and Penny were once friends before (even though this friendship has never been mentioned), I mean, it's pretty obvious that even though they seem to hate each other and fight and stuff, that they're on friendly terms and have been close at one point

I'm afraid I completely disagree with this. Way I see it, the whole point of the Penny&Aggie conflict is that they don't understand each other. Aggie hates Penny not because of the way Penny is, but because of how Aggie imagines she is. As for Penny, she doesn't understand why the heck the class weirdo is on a crusade against her.

Well, the point made, as I understand it, was that these two must've been friends at some earlier point in time--or at least they had gotten to know one other--otherwise, how does Aggie know how to push which of Penny's buttons? Sheer luck?? Some of us don't think so...
daanton

Postby Lamey » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:05 pm

I have to agree that they were probably not friends at any point. If they had been, Penny would probably know that Aggie's mother died. In fact - they probably didn't go to the same middle school. (In my, thankfully limited, experience schools tend to announce that sort of thing)

I wonder what Aggie was like before her mother died though. Was she always the wierdo rebel, or is at a reaction to her mother's death?
Lamey

Postby Lamey » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:09 pm

Since we're on the topic of friends...

I just had the duh moment about why all of Karen's friends are from Penny & Aggie's school.

Because she stated explicitly her intention to avoid people that knew the old her.
Lamey

Postby daanton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Lamey wrote:Since we're on the topic of friends...

I just had the duh moment about why all of Karen's friends are from Penny & Aggie's school.

Because she stated explicitly her intention to avoid people that knew the old her.

Like Penny and Aggie still blame each other for Karen's "ungrateful" metamorphosis...!
daanton

Postby Ollie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:43 pm

daanton wrote:
Lamey wrote:Since we're on the topic of friends...

Like Penny and Aggie still blame each other for Karen's "ungrateful" metamorphosis...!

Do they? I don't think that's come up since then. To some extent, I'm sure they blame themselves.
Ollie

Postby daanton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:47 pm

What did I tell you! :)
daanton

Postby Ollie » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:13 pm

I meant themselves as in "penny blames herself/aggie blames herself", not blame each other.
Ollie

Postby daanton » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:54 am

Ollie wrote:I meant themselves as in "penny blames herself/aggie blames herself", not blame each other.

Possibly, in private, but not in public, and certainly not when they're around each other.
daanton

Return to General Discussion