And now, a visit from the irony fairy

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

And now, a visit from the irony fairy

Postby Papuasblya » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:25 am

I was just reading today's (22 January 2007) strip. Cyndi's companion (that can't be Karen unless she had her chipmunk cheeks taken off in the last two weeks) uses the phrase "my gaydar," and I was about to write a post on whether that is a hint that she too is a rainbow warrior (since you don't hear us propagation-oriented types using the term that often), when the following epiphany hit me:

Most of us divide our time on here equally between (a) saying that Sara is a nut and projecting when she obsesses over the potential homosexuality of her schoolmates, and (b) obsessing over the potential homosexuality of her schoolmates.
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby blueaster » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:52 am

I hear hetero people use that term all the time... And the one that Cyndi is talking to looks like Karen and says that she knows Penny- it has to be Karen. Maybe its just the angle of our view and how she's lying down that hides her baby fat.

Anyways... Since you've brought Sara up, I just have to say that I don't think that Sara is gay and projecting her feelings unto Penny/Aggie and Stan/Jack. I think that at one point, Sara had a crush on someone, and then he came out of the closet and totally broke her gaydar.

When I came out to my friend, I was totally surprised that she did not suspect at all that I was gay. She had a crush on a guy once, and he came out last year. She thinks that after that point, her gaydar was completely busted (her words), and so she can't tell at all whos gay.

Maybe the same thing's going on with Sara, except instead of her not suspecting anyone of being gay, she suspects everyone of being gay.

... Or maybe it's just T's way of satirizing fans of slash fiction and yaoi and/or yuri.
http://www.tastyword.com/profile.php?userid=3381

^click to see what I look like! (and give me a hug too!) click on "Blueaster" for the blog.

Yes, I do lurk. I'm in college now. In the city. And I follow 7 webcomics and 12 blogs.
blueaster

Postby Freemage » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:10 am

Sara has been shown to have at least some ambivilance to her sexuality--straight-as-a-yardstick folks do not fantasize about individuals of the same gender lounging about in black lingerie.

As far as 'gaydar' is concerned, I've heard straights use the term, but in a way that suggests they believe it's something gays have to know who they can try to hit on--in my area, at least, it's almost never used by straights to suggest that they can pick up on someone's homosexuality (indeed, using the term would result in some suspicion the speaker was actually gay).
Freemage

Postby Trajedi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:21 pm

Well gaydar is more often used by gays or bisexuals judging by my experience as a bisexual person. I have heard straight females use the term if they think a guy is gay but it's faulty at best. Most straight females have what I like to call "Obvious Gaydar". They can pick up the flamingly gay guys from a mile away... But if it's a boy they like they tend to be very shocked. Now any guy I've known thus far who has spoken of his gaydar has been either gay, bi or a closet case.

Now thats the topics of gaydar and gay men. I believe most avg. straight teens or twenty somethings think if your a gay woman you have to be butchy in some form or fashion. Now Karen could mean this, Penny doesn't look like, act like your typical lesbian. That's because the sterotype of lesbians is the flanel wearing, construction boot doning, mullet wearing man haters. People forget that not every lesbian is a bull dyke and not every gay man is a theatre loving fairy.

I believe that is what Karen means by the fact that Penny doesn't come up on her gaydar.

As for Sarah, I think she is a young girl who isn't sure about her sexuality. Questioning if your straight or not is a very difficult situtation. Nearly everyone tells you straight is the norm and anything else is not. I think Sarah's push about Penny and Aggie's feelings toward eachother is her attempt to see if such a thing is acceptable. Penny is popular, if she is gay and remains that way then it might be OK for Sarah to do the same.
-Trajedi
Trajedi

Postby elvencellist » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:25 am

Actually, the use of the term gaydar is mostly regional, and how well your subculture responds to gays.
My friends and I all have fairly accurate gaydars (never been wrong--one took 2 years, but we were right in the end), and all of us are straight. To have a "gaydar" isn't a bad thing where I'm from, it's more of a talent, like being able to touch your nose with your tongue.

Also, Trajedi, I think you're referencing the "lipstick lesbian," the more typically femine lesbian that often associates with butch lesbians. I'm stereotyping, I know, but the (forgive me)dyke/butch and the lipstick are the two most common lesbian types... in American culture.
Also, male homosexuals are typically referenced as flamers when they're more feminine, and "bears" (reference?) when more masculine.

Just if anybody was curious.
elvencellist

Postby Black Mantha » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:06 am

Trajedi wrote:As for Sarah, I think she is a young girl who isn't sure about her sexuality. Questioning if your straight or not is a very difficult situtation. Nearly everyone tells you straight is the norm and anything else is not. I think Sarah's push about Penny and Aggie's feelings toward eachother is her attempt to see if such a thing is acceptable. Penny is popular, if she is gay and remains that way then it might be OK for Sarah to do the same.

Good one. Hadn't thought of that yet.
Seeing, believing
Dreaming, deceiving
- Nightwish, Sleepwalker
Black Mantha

Postby daanton » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:24 am

'Irony fairy', eh? So that's the one who keeps hitting me in the shoulder with a wand! :x
daanton

Return to General Discussion