01/22/07- I KNOW how she THINKS!

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

01/22/07- I KNOW how she THINKS!

Postby Harrier » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:51 pm

Oh, my. And the web is tangled yea unto infinity.

As skilled as I'm sure Karen has become at analyzing the tactics of popular girls, the more popular of her arch-nemeses in particular, I have to question the validity of her conclusion here- and not just because we know the truth. Would Penny, or for that matter any of the alphas, really spread the rumor that they were gay purely as a ploy to make a move on someone hetero they liked? Sexual orientation is an awfully big thing to try and manipulate for the sake of a passing fancy or even a more serious crush.

I mean, I'd like to think Penny would know better than to try something like this; she'd realize it could jeopardize her prospects in the long term even if it led to gains in the short term.
Never use an arm when a hand will do.
Never use a hand when a finger will suffice.
Harrier

Postby Ollie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:52 pm

Did Karen get a haircut?

Also, I just want to say I think this strip is unusually well drawn. Nice job, Gisele!
Ollie

Postby Mr. Brightside » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:18 am

Is that Karen?

Whoo-hoo, Cyndi at last! Did anyone at all call her as Karen's sister (if she is)? I would have expected Karen to be resentful...for her to be as meek as she was, Cyndi must have treated her like crap in the old days. Especially since she had to go to P&A for help.

Dear God, are we looking at a game of telephone here. ("Dinner with Nick's new gf et al. at foodtown" -> "date at foodtown" -> "Penny disrupting date at foodtown" -> "Penny trying to clear up competition at foodtown" -> "Penny hitting on Aggie at foodtown") So...Helen, somehow, heard about foodtown, and got the impression that rather than trying to disrupt a date (with whatever motive), she was trying to make her move on Aggie there?

Hmm...until I see evidence to the contrary, I'll just assume this is good old-fashioned gossip-hunting, even though we have seen that she's sexually frustrated.
Mr. Brightside

Postby Freemage » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:40 am

I don't think they're sisters--I think Cyndi is just part of Karen's new circle.

I do think Karen did some rather odd hoop-jumping to get to her current conclusion, though. But the wierd thing is, I'm surprised Karen hasn't put together the coincidence of the date/time/place for the dinner--presumably, if she's going with Marshall (common assumption), she'd start to wonder about who, exactly, Charisma's been dating.

So now we have the possibility that Karen was NOT invited. Instead, the original grouping is 'just the family'--Charisma, Nick, Aggie and Marshall. Penny shows up intending to cause havoc, while Karen shows up intending to trip up Penny--but then discovers that Aggie and Marshall are having dinner! (Bonus Lucille Ball points if, just as Karen spots the two of them, Charisma has lured Nick into a supply closet for a quickie, thereby making it look like Mar and Aggie are there on their own.)
Freemage

Postby Kina » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:04 am

I hope they are sisters. It would help to explain why Karen has so many issues about pretty people - Cyndi definitely is a very pretty girl in this comic.

And if I remember correctly, Cyndi is (was) friends with Penny. I at least remember a strip with Cyndi and Penny laughing and/or talking together. Here? Doesn't seem like something one of Karen's would do, since they all hate Penny.
/$0.02
Kina

Postby elvencellist » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:07 am

Freemage, I like your thinking.

And I agree, I think Cyndi is probably just part of Karen's new clique. Although it's interesting seeing Helen relay to Karen through somebody else.

I would really like HER to see what she has done.
elvencellist

Postby Kudzu Vines » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:26 am

Are we sure that's Karen? It doesn't look like her to me in the first panel, although in the second it does. But until I read the forum, I assumed she was another new character in addition to Cyndi. After reading the forum I went back and it does look more like her, but...

If it is Karen, I would wager that, if she is invited to the dinner, then she hasn't gotten enough information quite yet to make that connection--maybe Foodtown is a really common place to meet? If she wasn't invited, then things will become quite interesting when all this shit finally does hit the fan.

And what does "Tcha" mean?
Kudzu Vines

Postby Shadrach » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:38 am

Kudzu Vines wrote:And what does "Tcha" mean?

From UrbanDictionary.com:

a word originating from the [San Fernando] valley, circa 1982. Used as an exclamation of joy, or a variation of yes.

"Tcha! that dude is like, mega frikkin hot!"
Shadrach

Postby Jabroniville » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:45 am

Y'know, I never quite understand how simply showing a character from a different perspective, or even going slightly off-model, can make people think it's a different person...

Then again, maybe that's just a side-effect of having A) a black & white comic, and B) characters who don't repeat the same clothing again and again. Those kind of things must give less visual-thinking people clues to recognize people or something.

Personally, even if I didn't recognize it as Karen immediately, I would assume it's a known character solely on the basis that T & Gisele ALREADY whine enough about how they have fifteen characters with reflective black hair, and that creating a new one would be madness.
"Who knows what kind of den of corruption Riverdale could turn out to be?"

--- The Punisher, Archie Meets the Punisher.
Jabroniville

Postby Papuasblya » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:07 am

Jabroniville wrote:Y'know, I never quite understand how simply showing a character from a different perspective, or even going slightly off-model, can make people think it's a different person...

Then again, maybe that's just a side-effect of having A) a black & white comic, and B) characters who don't repeat the same clothing again and again. Those kind of things must give less visual-thinking people clues to recognize people or something.

Personally, even if I didn't recognize it as Karen immediately, I would assume it's a known character solely on the basis that T & Gisele ALREADY whine enough about how they have fifteen characters with reflective black hair, and that creating a new one would be madness.

The comic appears primarily in black and white. What options, other than black, white and grey, do they have?

I SO want to see a bald girl on this.
Papuasblya wrote:As a public service to this forum (and anyone else who has ever met me) I gave up avoiding looking like an idiot a long time ago.
Papuasblya

Location: A little village up the coast, quite scenic in spring...

Postby SAGG » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:17 pm

If this is indeed Karen, then she looks even more thinner than ever... :D
Thanks.
SAGG

Postby Stella Polaris » Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:44 pm

[s]Is that really Karen? She doesn't look like her, in my opinion, though I guess it could be because she was drawn from a different perspective. But she seems a tad too thin to be Karen. bah. I guess we'll find out soon enough.[/s]

Edit: Ah well, nevermind.

TCampbell wrote:It's Karen.

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance, isn't it?"
- House M.D.
Stella Polaris

Postby Kudzu Vines » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Jabroniville wrote:Y'know, I never quite understand how simply showing a character from a different perspective, or even going slightly off-model, can make people think it's a different person...

For me, it was the first panel--she honestly doesn't look like Karen from the top to me. Her cheeks aren't there, she's too thin for Karen, and her eyes are further spaced apart and narrower than I'd usually expect of Karen, even for a bird's-eye view. Upon looking more closely at the second panel, it looked like her--the cheeks, the larger eyes, and the smug look. And it sounded like her, too: over-the-top certainty, smugness, and doubting other people's opinions over her own.

Just entertaining other possibilities. Sorry we're all so dumb.

[/i]
Kudzu Vines

Postby Kashi » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:09 pm

yeah, the hairstyle is telling, it's the same hairstyle she wore in this strip, and a few other times, I think.

edit: here
and throughout the rest of the party.
THANKS FO' THA PIZZAH, HOMESLICE!
Kashi

Postby double_helix » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:19 pm

Papuasblya wrote:
I SO want to see a bald girl on this.

heh heh.
http://www.pennyandaggie.com/d/20051011.html
double_helix

Next

Return to General Discussion