Re-read week 176: August 9 - 14

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 176: August 9 - 14

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:02 pm

August 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 176: August 9 - 14

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:56 pm

I wish to retract the comments I made about Strip #10, back when it first ran. My God, was I ever naïve and showing my vanilla bias back then. There's nothing wrong with what Aggie's doing in that comic.

It seems at the time I was still under the impression (hope?) T was doing a conventional girls-love story. That'd explain not only my "ew no get that yucky dom/sub stuff out of this Magical Moment for Agenny" whining, but also my over-defensiveness about their relationship in general ("What do you mean, they don't have chemistry? Of course they have chemistry! LOOK CLOSER AND BEHOLD THEIR WONDERFUL CHEMISTRY *smooshes other forum members' faces into their monitors*.")

...Okay, I didn't go quite that far. Even so, it took me until Penny's and Aggie's argument later in this chapter to understand T was subverting the HS girls-love type of story, that he was going for neither a straightforward happy ending to their romance (as in much present-day fiction) nor a completely unhappy ending (as in much fiction of the past), but something rather more complicated and open-ended. Once I got that, I relaxed and decided to see where T would take this. And I feel like as a result, I got a lot more out of the story, and the series as a whole.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Return to General Discussion