Re-read week 165: May 22 - June 1

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 165: May 22 - June 1

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:02 pm

May 22 23 24 25 26
June 1
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 165: May 22 - June 1

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Ah, The Kiss. So many memories... the anticipation between the strip with Penny initiating the kiss and the one with Aggie kissing back... the heated debates as to whether Agenny was a good or bad idea... the curating of evidence, for the pro and con sides, from strips going back nearly to the beginning... Good times, good times. Even though I like to think that now, nearly five years later, I'm able to be more objective about the obstacles to Penny/Aggie working out, I still remember this time in the comic's history fondly.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:46 pm

Aggie no. Leave the date rapist alone. He's not worth your time.

Mother of the year. :roll: Man. I ain't a fan of Marshall but he doesn't deserve an abusive one like Charisma.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:13 am

I'm actually surprised she got no real karmic punishment.

Personally I always figure Aggeny was doomed as teenagers but would work better once they grew up.
timemonkey

Postby FlyingFish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:40 am

timemonkey wrote:I'm actually surprised she got no real karmic punishment.

She DID get caught in the act of cursing out her son and quickly dumped.

I satisfy myself with the thought that she'll probably spent her remaining years alone: Marshall showing her the same amount of affection that she's shown him, and no new boyfriends to be found.
FlyingFish

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:30 pm

Yer joking right? She's attractive and Marshall will probably graduate soon. So she has a year to spend with him and maybe date. Or she could wait to. Either way,Charisma isn't going to end up permanently "alone".

And being dumped isn't doing much to her ego.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby FlyingFish » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:20 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:Yer joking right? She's attractive and Marshall will probably graduate soon. So she has a year to spend with him and maybe date. Or she could wait to. Either way,Charisma isn't going to end up permanently "alone".

I notice that she's still single as of this scene, something like a year after the breakup in Dinner for Six. She also doesn't smile once in this scene, and her attempt at flirting is very hesitant. She hasn't exactly bounced back. And this is the last we ever see of her, so based on this scene, I'm believing, and furthermore choose to believe, that things end poorly for her.
FlyingFish

Postby timemonkey » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:22 pm

I'm surprised there wasn't more gossip going around. She basically screamed abuse at her son in public, in the area she lives and Aggie's dad is the only one who reacted. You'd think people would be whispering whenever she left the house.
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:35 pm

On Charisma after the comic ended... This took some searching, but I found this statement by T here:

TCampbell wrote:Charisma hasn't changed much. She's rebranded her business as a general "wellness clinic," and that's doing well with the older set. The pace of her flings and one-night stands is a little slower than it once was, but she's probably not going to find That Guy, the one she thought Nick could be.

She showed up at Nick's one night, about two months after Aggie went to college, and they had some good times for a while after that. But the root of the issue that split them in "Dinner For Six" remained even after they were both empty nesters. Nick is still someone who takes pride and satisfaction in living for others, and that ultimately doesn't mesh with Charisma's selfish streak, except in a codependent way. They worked around this clash in values for about as long as they could, but when Nick, normally Mr. Mellow, found himself frequently losing his temper with her, he realized it was time to call it quits again, for good this time.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Alice Macher wrote:Ah, The Kiss. So many memories... the anticipation between the strip with Penny initiating the kiss and the one with Aggie kissing back... the heated debates as to whether Agenny was a good or bad idea... the curating of evidence, for the pro and con sides, from strips going back nearly to the beginning... Good times, good times. Even though I like to think that now, nearly five years later, I'm able to be more objective about the obstacles to Penny/Aggie working out, I still remember this time in the comic's history fondly.

The source of some really great posts. My only objection to Aggie and Penny getting together was it seemed too much like the trope where two people who fight with each other constantly are secretly in love with each other.

LadyObvious23 wrote:Aggie no. Leave the date rapist alone. He's not worth your time.

Conscience wise Aggie is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. She confronted Karen as her world was falling apart and it did not work out too well and probably made her reluctant to reach out to others. She was critical of Duane trying to help Charlotte then reconsidered after the events of the kidnapping. Charlotte went to prison when all was said and done, but compassion may have ultimately saved her life. Furthermore, there is Helen running away to Boston which Aggie might feel guilty about because she didn't talk to her sooner so she is trying to make up for all that by talking to Bob. It won't work, but at least she will try albeit cautiously.

timemonkey wrote:I'm actually surprised she got no real karmic punishment.

More often than not bad people are harmed or destroyed by their own design. FlyingFish and Alice Macher provided the best examples. Charisma's resentment and mistreatment of her son guarantees that he will have little to do with her as possible in the future and her looks are not going to last forever. She might secure a few more sugar daddies, but she'll never have what she did with Nick because of who she chooses to be. It's the curse of having a comfortable life and yet it cannot buy love.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:11 am

Can't say it wasn't foreshadowed though. It was brought up periodically throughout the whole comic.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:15 pm

FlyingFish wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:Yer joking right? She's attractive and Marshall will probably graduate soon. So she has a year to spend with him and maybe date. Or she could wait to. Either way,Charisma isn't going to end up permanently "alone".

I notice that she's still single as of this scene, something like a year after the breakup in Dinner for Six. She also doesn't smile once in this scene, and her attempt at flirting is very hesitant. She hasn't exactly bounced back. And this is the last we ever see of her, so based on this scene, I'm believing, and furthermore choose to believe, that things end poorly for her.

That could mean she doesn't have a boyfriend. Doesn't mean she stopped dating entirely. X3 Cuz I just can't really picture her not dating or anything like that.
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:49 am

Oh, she'll try to keep dating. But the older you get the less people are willing to deal with your self absorbed, cruel bullshit.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:36 am

Good point.
LadyObvious23

Return to General Discussion