Re-read week 163: May 10 - 15

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 163: May 10 - 15

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:02 pm

May 10 11 12 13 14 15
Topic Starter Robot

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:54 am

Rob Levac's shining moment of glory. :cool:
Bo Lindbergh

Re: Re-read week 163: May 10 - 15

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:14 am

Why does Daphne suck so much? -___-
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Because we were never given a look into her history and thought processes so we never understand her motivations beyond the superficial, which come across poorly. In theory she should be sympathetic, she's a lonely gay kid who was desperately looking for love and ended up with a girlfriend who wasn't really into her, emotionally cheated on her, nearly physically cheated on her (and was only stopped by the other girl) had said girlfriend start playing games to try and get her to dump her so she could be the victim, essentially playing with her emotions and stringing her along for months. But because we lack that insight into who she is and why she behaves the way she does she largely comes across as selfish, entitled, paranoid, and mean.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Yes the rape story believing brat (FROM CHARLOTTE,A GIRL WHO IS KNOWN FOR A TON OF SHIT INCLUDING A BOMB THREAT) who was actually a pretty shitty girlfriend because she expected Sara to fuck her because she CAME OUT to her. Her the person she trusted and apparently was the only lesbian for miles (not even remotely possible). Obviously she didn't fall in love with Sara. She never did. All she cared about was that she came out,was a friend and got pissy because the newly outed person couldn't pick up on her clues. Like how HORRIBLE for her!!!!

So obviously Sara is a horrible human being.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:00 am

No that would be Bob.

And I doubt his character would be helped with a look into his history and back processes. Daphne is different for the reasons timemonkey explained and there is also youth. Just about everyone in this webcomic is a teenager. They do stupid things, but it is hoped that they will improve in time. From what I know of the future of the classmates who were not seen at the class reunion Bob found religion. His personality is not all that much better, but as long as he is not trying to commit date rape or sexual assault of some other variety then it it is a modest improvement of what he is now.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Except no. She did act that way and even said so. -__-
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Yes, Daphne has the wherewithal to know she made a mistake and apologized for it. She also thought it best to not push things with Sara after she forgave her. Things would have been fine between them, but Sara fearing desperation might make her fall into Cyndi's arms chose Daphne giving her the impression that the previous accusation was forgiven and forgotten when it really was not. That is Sara's fault, but it does not make her a monster any more than it does Daphne.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:04 pm

She believed someone who made a bomb threat and generally hurts everyone. Over someone she knew way longer. Daphne even acted like the stereotypical douchebag who pretends to be your friend. When she wasn't. I would NEVER forgive someone for this shit and Sara doing so is kinda REALLY fucked up.

Also that strip clearly showed Sara was going to kiss Daphne from the beginning. Like she went out of her way to go for her. But that's still fucked up that she disgustingly believed someone like Charlotte instead of Sara. All because Sara didn't fuck her.
LadyObvious23

Postby FlyingFish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:58 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:Why does Daphne suck so much? -___-

More important question! Why are we ranting about Daphne in a comic sequence where she has two lines, and we aren't even discussing those lines?

(We get it, LO. She's Satan. Now give it a rest.)
FlyingFish

Re:

Postby FlyingFish » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:58 pm

Bo Lindbergh wrote:Rob Levac's shining moment of glory. :cool:

And credit especially for calling out the "shenanigans" for what they are in that last comic. He is NOT a "boys will be boys" type; he recognizes what "consent" is and why it can't be granted while drunk (probably helps that he has a teenage daughter), and he will make sure everyone is educated on that fact BEFORE they do something jail-worthy.
FlyingFish

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:24 pm

FlyingFish wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:Why does Daphne suck so much? -___-

More important question! Why are we ranting about Daphne in a comic sequence where she has two lines, and we aren't even discussing those lines?

(We get it, LO. She's Satan. Now give it a rest.)

Funny how I never said that and think she's nasty because she's done nasty shallow ass things.
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:31 pm

A lot of the cast is pretty terrible at times, but because we've been given a look into their thought processes and backstories we understand why. Yes, Daphne believing the rape story was terrible....but only because it completely fell apart when the timeline was checked. Sarah being her friend and Charlotte being generally terrible doesn't mean Charlotte is automatically a liar or that Sarah couldn't be a rapist. Most rapists are the last person you'd expect to be one, someone you've known for ages and see all the time. If the video had chosen a better time and hadn't implicated Penny as well there would have been a lot more uncertainty going on. And even despite the stupidity Daphne mostly just believed Sarah was secretly with Penny, something she'd continue to suspect for a couple years.

Think about it, how much worse would Helen have looked without the glimpses into her issues? What she did was pretty much right behind Cyndi, she helped everything that was going on, backstabbed all her friends, both new and old, because she wanted to feel like she was useful to someone she knew cared nothing for her. And finding out Charlottes deal really humanised her, both to the readers and some of the characters and even started helping her to recover.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Except Charlotte has a HISTORY of being a liar. Including a BOMB THREAT. A HUGE BOMB THREAT. Like that's fucking disturbing on it's own. -____-

And Helen is still bad. She outted someone else to a crowd of disgusting people. She was a mole who fucked up her so-called friends lives to feel useful.
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:22 am

Yes, and being a liar doesn't automatically make her not a rape victim. Because, in fact, she IS a rape victim. Just not from Sarah. And that's a big part of why she's acts so crazy, she's trying to let her pain out but doesn't know how to do that in any way other than 'punish the sinners'.
timemonkey

Next

Return to General Discussion