Re-read week 154: The Belleville Interviews 4 - 9

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 154: The Belleville Interviews 4 - 9

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:02 pm

The Belleville Interviews 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 154: The Belleville Interviews 4 - 9

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:16 pm

I'd feel bad but...ehhhhhh....Cyndi is kinda better off far away from society.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:52 pm

Well enough endless debate over what is and is not statutory rape. Now let us discuss teen abductions.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:36 am

It's hard to feel anything for someone who is actively trying to push people into committing suicide.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Lia S » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:30 am

This is the part with studies of characters’ facial expressions. I ’spect there’s some avatar material there.
Artemisia: if we cannot sympathize or understand then all we claim to be as human beings is just marsh gas
Valerie: Lia knows how to turn that frown upside-down. :D
Lia S

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:59 am

Lia S wrote:This is the part with studies of characters’ facial expressions. I ’spect there’s some avatar material there.

Also some great extended insight into some relatively minor characters -- I love the compare and contrast of how they all react to Cyndi's disappearance.
FlyingFish

Postby Twitcher » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:38 pm

Aggie's uber pacifism, added to teenage hormones, would indicate a black-and-white morality... which would place her a little higher than the bottom of a suspect list.
Twitcher

Postby FlyingFish » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:53 am

Twitcher wrote:Aggie's uber pacifism, added to teenage hormones, would indicate a black-and-white morality... which would place her a little higher than the bottom of a suspect list.

Says less about Aggie and more about the even greater and more violent hatred everyone ELSE has toward Cyndi. SOMEONE had to go at the bottom of the list.
FlyingFish

Postby timemonkey » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:43 am

I'd have put Lisa at the bottom personally. No person stakes in Cyndi and no overpowering morals to drive her to interfere. We've all already seen that Aggie can be moved to hostility if she perceives wrong doing.
timemonkey

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:26 pm

I figured the most likely reason Aggie was at the bottom of the list was that she volunteered so much information, which would suggest she has nothing to hide.

Of course, this is a fictional story. In real life the more you tell a cop, the more likely you are to move rather higher up the suspect list. That's why legal experts, former police officers and others tend to advise that you never provide the police with any information other than what's required by law (generally just your personal identification, if even that depending on which jurisdiction you're in), unless you have a lawyer with you.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:53 am

Alice Macher wrote:I figured the most likely reason Aggie was at the bottom of the list was that she volunteered so much information, which would suggest she has nothing to hide.

Of course, this is a fictional story. In real life the more you tell a cop, the more likely you are to move rather higher up the suspect list. That's why legal experts, former police officers and others tend to advise that you never provide the police with any information other than what's required by law (generally just your personal identification, if even that depending on which jurisdiction you're in), unless you have a lawyer with you.

True, but as we find out in subsequent strips Aggie has a reason to cooperate since she views law enforcement as helpful. The investigator may not know this, but I think he has been doing this long enough to tell when someone is cooperating for the sake of covering their own tracks. And given what they already know the people most likely to hold a grudge were former friends and associates which leaves out Aggie and her friends.
brasca

Return to General Discussion