Re-read week 149: Mister Smiles 19 - 24

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 149: Mister Smiles 19 - 24

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:02 pm

Mister Smiles 19 20 21 22 23 24
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 149: Mister Smiles 19 - 24

Postby brasca » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:17 am

In the great scheme of things this was inevitable and probably for the best.

Stan and Brandi were not going to last any more than Stan and Lisa, however in Cyndi's efforts to sabotage his inevitably doomed relationship with Brandi she set of a chain of events that would turn out far worse for her. If Stan sacrificed his image he probably would have won the election anyway and Charlotte would not have gone off the deep end leaving Cyndi free to continue her favorite game until someone died.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:33 pm

Stan and Lisa still weirds me out. :/ You'd think she'd be interested in someone who is more artsy and actually funny.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:55 am

Stan and Lisa were supposed to be more fuck buddies than an actual relationship. So all that mattered was if she thought he was hot and a good lay.
timemonkey

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:33 am

I dunno. Stan's kind of wit seems to fit in with the future masked memer. Tongue in cheek; performance of subversive, rather than a subversive performance.

///

I've probably bored everyone here by how often I come back to Stan as a tragic figure. To be sure, he's earned his destruction through hubris, but so has everyone from Hamlet to Lear. Which is just a turn of phrase to bring up a great sequence out of Slings and Arrows (Canadian dark comedy about a Shakespeare festival). As described by:

John Dellaporta wrote:[Richard] has been instructed by the Board to give Anna an indefinite leave of absence, but Anna knows what it really is. All she wants him to do is just say it. Richard can’t, so Anna does what she always does, does the hard part for Richard, and fires herself. She has to make it in time for Lear’s curtain, after all.

Richard sits, alone with his power. The price of pursuing his ambition was losing what may have been his only real friendship. Anna spells it out for him before she goes. “You came so close, Richard, to becoming a human being. And now you’ve lost your soul. You’re just a fool.” (http://dctheatrescene.com/2013/12/13/sl ... mised-end/)

Just tell me this doesn't describe Stan. So close to becoming a human being.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Return to General Discussion