Re-read week 138: Pre-History 17 - Communion 5

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 138: Pre-History 17 - Communion 5

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun May 24, 2015 9:02 pm

Pre-History 17
Communion 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 138: Pre-History 17 - Communion 5

Postby Alice Macher » Sun May 24, 2015 10:36 pm

I remember when I first read the last strip in this sequence, it weirded me out a bit because we'd never seen Katy-Ann cry before, not even when Penny kicked her out of the Pennies. Makes sense she would here, though.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:40 am

I hate miscommunication. It's never really funny and she would have saved herself a heluvalot of sickness by simply speaking to him like a normal person.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby thebitterfig » Mon May 25, 2015 9:40 pm

If only all evil in the world were Katy-Ann "evil evil evil"...

Still. A large part of being a teenager is doing dumb shit. Katy-Ann figures a way to do dumb shit mostly harmlessly (and still less dumb than most other folks dumb shit), while actively trying to learn something from it. Despite it all coming from snooping, she's fairly mature about it. Could it be avoided? Maybe, but folks don't usually like to admit they're snoops, plus I don't know that it should have been. I think there's a lot Katy-Ann wanted to experience, and despite the flaws in her plan, it seems net positive. I mean, this isn't Dinner for Six. If she doesn't drink the beer now, it doesn't seem too unlikely that her curiosity leads her down a similar path in the future.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:55 am

Never said she was evil just don't like the overused trope of miscommunication as comedy. -____-

There's no anger in what I wrote about Katy Ann. Just thought she should have tried to talk to him or trust him. :/ Sure it would be awkward but she'd still hear the story without the sickness.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby thebitterfig » Wed May 27, 2015 6:48 am

Oh, I didn't take it as angry, and the evil line was just a general comment.

I just think it wasn't that much of a net negative, as far as dumb stuff teenagers do. I mean, look at everyone else's screw-ups in this comic, and this one is tame. And I think Katy-Ann may have wanted to talk to Jack, but she also wanted to understand something about drunkenness first. It's pretty easy to imagine how someone else might have reacted, with silence, and slow-simmering resentment. Sniping with little comments about booze, until things in the relationship get seriously strained. I mean, there are times when miscommunication sequences really make me want to shake the characters, so that they get past their own idiocy. Reika and Eiji nearing the end of Red String, for example; that one really irked me. This one I don't mind, mostly because I think there's an important teenage life lesson learned, and no one has any real permanent damage--physical or emotional.

As far as the joke, I think the biggest source of humor here is that beer isn't really that terrible, but it's odd enough that a neophyte might think it's that terrible.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby brasca » Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:51 pm

Hard to take Jacks's street cred when he lives in a place like that. From what I was told in later posts his family's fortunes changed for the better in later years and I suppose he does not want to discard his roots, but both he and Stan reminded me of the white gangsta wannabees from my school.
brasca

Return to General Discussion