Re-read week 116: Providence in the Fall 6 - 11

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 116: Providence in the Fall 6 - 11

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:02 pm

Providence in the Fall 6 7 8 9 10 11
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 116: Providence in the Fall 6 - 11

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:11 pm

And wow. :/ Stepford couple crashes. Soooo hard to believe. Wow.

Marshal's finally seeing how awful Karen truly is. Finally. :roll:
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:57 pm

#7: You know, call it farfetched, but I suspect Fred might be gay.

#9: Welp, Karen, you pretty much answered Marshall's question in the affirmative there.

Also, it's interesting how quickly Charlotte goes from still having a hint of a crush on him ("Marshall deserves better than you!") to hitting him. I suppose that's because his attempt to restrain her was triggering for her.

#11: Thinking about it again after all this time, I partially agree and partially disagree with both Aggie's and Penny's stance on trying to pre-empt a total breakdown on Karen's part. On the one hand, I think Aggie may be over-dramatizing the possible consequences a bit ("juvie?" really?). On the other, I think Penny's complete unconcern ("So?"), while understandable, goes too far. Still, both reactions are in character for the two of them.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Twitcher » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:00 pm

6. Did Karen hope to ruin reputations forever? How long did she expect to keep this sort of thing up?
7. Idiot ball... slipping out of grip...
8. Now, this is a really sharp shift in Charlotte's alliances, and I'd've wanted a little more buildup.
9. I still don't understand how anyone could be so ignorant without being willfully blind.
10. Izzat Daphne in the corner?
11. Aggie still thinks that life is an afterschool special. Penny still thinks that life revolves around her. As for the ending, I still don't know if they can find a middle way.
Twitcher

Postby brasca » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:05 am

Twitcher wrote:6. Did Karen hope to ruin reputations forever? How long did she expect to keep this sort of thing up?
7. Idiot ball... slipping out of grip...
8. Now, this is a really sharp shift in Charlotte's alliances, and I'd've wanted a little more buildup.
9. I still don't understand how anyone could be so ignorant without being willfully blind.
10. Izzat Daphne in the corner?
11. Aggie still thinks that life is an afterschool special. Penny still thinks that life revolves around her. As for the ending, I still don't know if they can find a middle way.

6. Seeing as how this is only halfway through their junior year Karen could probably find enough people to ruin at Bellville and possibly her own school until graduation, but I doubt it would really work out even on this limited basis seeing as how her gang is falling apart.

7. Marshall suspects something is wrong, but it is not until he intervenes with Charlotte that things begin to break down. Who knows if that never happened it is possible he might have been convinced by Karen that she is the victim of a saboteur (Cyndi) posing as her friend.

8. Not really. Charlotte is unstable and I suppose her interest with Duane on an intellectual level is enough to make her rationalize that even though he is a Muslim he is a decent man, but religiously misguided person who she can save. Just as she thinks that she could save Marshall.

9. Skeptics and cynics have a hard time making relationships work. It may end in disaster, but at least the relationships last longer for those who love blindly.

10. I doubt it. Daphne indulged in popsicles to loosen up and fit in so she would not have any that she believed would be laced with toothpaste. Jack on the other hand has a drinking problem and probably figured he could cope with the bad taste. That being said it is for the best Helen was out of the picture at this point. While she could get some satisfaction watching Bob and Elmer soil themselves I fear she would have matched Jack in consumption.

11. True and on some level I think Aggie made it worse without really knowing. It is possible that Karen and Marshall could have patched things up if she could convince him she like Penny was the victim of keeping bad company and Marshall might have believed her and took pity given how her world just completely crashed down. However, trying to strangle Aggie completely destroys whatever lingering feelings he had for her.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:24 am

That's kind of what Aggie does for most of the comic, make things worse without realising it.
timemonkey

Return to General Discussion