Re-read week 115: Everybody Loves Duane 11 - Providence in t

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 115: Everybody Loves Duane 11 - Providence in t

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Everybody Loves Duane 11
Providence in the Fall 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 115: Everybody Loves Duane 11 - Providence

Postby Twitcher » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:11 pm

11. Y'know why girls don't like this? It's patronizing, and that's the problem with Charlotte's relationships. Even people who are nice to her treat her more like a brain-damaged puppy than a peer.
12. Mar wasn't using Aggie to get quality time with the dad he wished he had, right?
13. "There's this ball... in my hands, and I sense that letting it go would ruin everything." "That's why it's superglued to your hands, my sweet idiot."
14. No need to involve Cyndi at all. Just have one of the kids in P and A's crew who were regulars toothpaste the hell outta those alcopops... is Cyndi sexyposing for the reality show that she believes is her life?
15. He knows he's leading her on, we'll find that out later, so why not just change tacks and be a frigging friend?
16. So, I'm assuming Karen didn't stop to do her business, then.
Twitcher

Postby timemonkey » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:51 pm

She's not really a peer. She can't function on their level and she's starting to realise that, she's going to start realising just how wrong she's been, how horrible she's been, how messed up she is.Though she's the only one who spots Cycdi for what she really is.
timemonkey

Postby Twitcher » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:58 pm

She's human, redeemable, and repentant by story's end, and early, real intervention could've helped her even more. Having mental illness, or even a criminal background, doesn't make you any less of a peer than... your peers.
Twitcher

Postby timemonkey » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:03 am

I didn't say she was, but acknowledging the reality of her mental condition is important. She makes a great deal of progress rather quickly and I'm very sympathetic to her situation and am glad the comic shows her continuing her growth even through her time in prison.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:57 am

I'm assuming Marshall was just pretending to care about Aggie to keep a Father figure.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:36 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:I'm assuming Marshall was just pretending to care about Aggie to keep a Father figure.

If that were the case then he did not have to push Aggie away like he did. Marshall could have told her he would take her accusation against Charlotte to Karen for consideration and gently brush off her crush revelation all so he could continue to hang out with her father. He regrets that he cannot hang out with Nick like he did, but he values his relationship with Karen so highly that he will fiercely defend her against what he believes are biased accusations.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:56 am

Your kidding right? Marshall is a tool who believed anything that Karen said. He never seemed to care that much about Aggie and acted hideously.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:41 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:Your kidding right? Marshall is a tool who believed anything that Karen said. He never seemed to care that much about Aggie and acted hideously.

Marshall is in love and someone has accused his girlfriend of conspiring to destroy another girl with a fake rape allegation without any evidence and said accuser has just admitted to being in love with him so her judgment is hardly unbiased. I don't know about you, but most of us want a lover who will defend us rather than consider someone's allegations. He cared for Aggie as much as Duane cares for her. The difference is Aggie secretly has a crush on Marshall. Do you remember how Duane acted when Aggie accused Penny of being a racist? Was his reaction and rebuke wrong? No, because Aggie was wrong. Now from Marshall's point of view a girl he is friends with has accused the girl he is in love with of something terrible. Even though Aggie is right as far as he knows she is just another girl using underhanded methods to drive a wedge between the girl he loves so his reaction is perfectly understandable.

Honestly, I do not understand why you are suddenly so protective of Aggie since every other strip you criticize her for being a bully and a poser. Aggie was right this time, but the way she went about confronting Marshall was foolish and what happened deeply wounded her. She only has herself to blame for that.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:33 pm

She was being a bully and a hypocrite. This damn near pushed her to suicide. Her Mother's death btw not that long ago. So this was hideous bullshit on Marshall's part.

And why the fuck is he trusting someone who doesn't actually love him,has assaulted him in the past as well as said homophobic shit about his "friend". -_- Which he said nothing about either. Didn't even rush to her defense.
LadyObvious23

Return to General Discussion