Re-read week 114: Everybody Loves Duane 5 - 10

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 114: Everybody Loves Duane 5 - 10

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Everybody Loves Duane 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 114: Everybody Loves Duane 5 - 10

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:11 pm

The bit with spelling out "huh" is one of my favourite Lisa moments.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:22 am

Eh. Ehhhh. Ehhhhhhhhhh.

Also it was more a campaign that could have put Sara's life at risk. Plus it could have gotten her expelled if parents called it in to the police.

Michelle's eating disorder is iffy. It might have taken a short time if she had a heart condition. Might not. Thank goodness she got help.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:23 pm

See, Cyndi's bragging would mean absolutely nothing except to her parents, who would probably quite happily downplay anything she actually said; while what was definitely caught on tape was Aggie's accusation. Not much for Cyndi to actually be afraid of... or was that the point? Was Cyndi just waiting for an opportunity to start something, knowing that nothing the crew could say or do against her before or after would actually be effective?
Twitcher

Postby FlyingFish » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:52 am

Twitcher wrote:See, Cyndi's bragging would mean absolutely nothing except to her parents, who would probably quite happily downplay anything she actually said; while what was definitely caught on tape was Aggie's accusation. Not much for Cyndi to actually be afraid of... or was that the point? Was Cyndi just waiting for an opportunity to start something, knowing that nothing the crew could say or do against her before or after would actually be effective?

That IS an interesting possibility: given what we learn of Cyndi later, she might have decided "eh, I think I'll have much more fun messing with Karen than with Duane right now." Also explains why she'll go above and beyond what P&A ask of her with the laxatives, then be all "hey, that's at least in the BALLPARK of what you wanted, right?"

It's also possible that she just sees herself as outnumbered. The tape might be meaningless, but just knowing that she's become a target to that many people if she sticks with Karen (who is already down to three allies and dropping), she might have decided the wise course was to switch sides.

Cyndi will always work with whoever allows her to create the most mischief with the least consequences. One of her considerations will always be "can I make it so that someone else will be held accountable?" For her contribution to the final battle of the Popsicle War, even we the audience were saying "Karen brought this on herself."
FlyingFish

Postby brasca » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:35 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:Eh. Ehhhh. Ehhhhhhhhhh.

Also it was more a campaign that could have put Sara's life at risk. Plus it could have gotten her expelled if parents called it in to the police.

If that happened then the accusation would soon fall apart. Charlotte probably did not put too much thought into creating her lie. If the police asked her what day this happened and she told them one where Penny and/or Sara had solid alibis her story would be proven false and depending on how intense the interrogation she might break down and admit that her father was really the rapist. In the end Charlotte's story would be perceived as the sad tale told by a disturbed girl and would likely be pulled away from her abusive mother. Unfortunately, the authorities do not get involved in all of this until a few chapters later The whole rape accusation was a risky attack on Karen and her gang's part since it could have involved the parents and police. The eating disorder prodding and needling was far more subtle and near impossible to make a criminal case out of, but like Twitcher and FlyingFish suppose Cyndi's decision to betray Karen is based on protecting her reputation with her parents than the school.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:20 pm

brasca wrote:

If that happened then the accusation would soon fall apart. Charlotte probably did not put too much thought into creating her lie. If the police asked her what day this happened and she told them one where Penny and/or Sara had solid alibis her story would be proven false and depending on how intense the interrogation she might break down and admit that her father was really the rapist. In the end Charlotte's story would be perceived as the sad tale told by a disturbed girl and would likely be pulled away from her abusive mother. Unfortunately, the authorities do not get involved in all of this until a few chapters later The whole rape accusation was a risky attack on Karen and her gang's part since it could have involved the parents and police. The eating disorder prodding and needling was far more subtle and near impossible to make a criminal case out of, but like Twitcher and FlyingFish suppose Cyndi's decision to betray Karen is based on protecting her reputation with her parents than the school.
Kids would still believe it. Her rep would be fucked. She would probably be attacked because kids are fucking assholes.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:08 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:
brasca wrote:

Kids would still believe it. Her rep would be fucked. She would probably be attacked because kids are fucking assholes.

Her reputation seemed to rebound even though Charlotte and everyone else affiliated with the plot never publicly repudiated the accusation. It would not recover completely because there are people who want to believe what they want to believe to justify their envy and hatred, but it would be too few to be of consequence.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:58 pm

So Sara changed her last name for fun then? -_-
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:00 am

Only because Tharqa kept putting the video back up so it would never fade away.

But yes, they established early on that Charlotte's story was impossible, everyone's locations were well known the two days it was 'possible'. The general public didn't seem to believe the rape accusation and instead focussed on her being a lesbian.
timemonkey

Return to General Discussion