Re-read week 111: Fan Glam No. 21 0 - 6

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 111: Fan Glam No. 21 0 - 6

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 111: Fan Glam No. 21 0 - 6

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:09 pm

Of all the "out of genre" experiments T did on P&A, this is one of my favourites. I like how it shows that if geek and/or queer teens were at the top of the popularity totem pole rather than the bottom, as they still are in many schools, there would still be other sorts of teens who felt, or were made to feel, they didn't fit in with the "cool" kids. And also how the story shows that even so, it's possible to find friends who accept you as you are, not as you or others think you should be.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:13 am

A world where Helen is the queen bee and sci-fi fantasy and other geek culture is the height of popularity. Such a fantastic place even with the downside of school shooters using sorcery and calamitous events like world dominating super villains being a reality. Still a fantastic place.

If Penny has Aggie as a rival in the normal universe I am curious as to who Helen constantly clashes.
brasca

Postby Twitcher » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:03 am

1. I dunno, if this is meant to be an amped up version of our world, Penny would be queen-libertarian chic, though she'd probably feel bad without knowing why every time a swipe at the intellectual kids landed too hard. "Gotta watch Fox News every night, study up on Rand..."
2. As for Helen, just having lots of facebook friends doesn't even make you popular in this universe, but there'd be a future for her on the darker corners of the 'net, and judging by who hangs out with her, (Karen, Stan, and Cyndi) it would not end well.
3. Wouldn't the school have some emergency plan (given that the world as they knew it vomited up it's collective unconscious a few years before)?
4. Laura is nice, but as most of us know, nice is way different than good, or effective. Di has never heard the world humility in her life.
5. I love this version of Shanna.
6. Yeah, sweding was a badly forced failure of a corporate meme in 20whateverthewho. These days, everyone's a critic. http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Shanna seriously? Ew. -_-
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:27 am

We know how things ended up for P and A prime, but is Guilded Age part of that 'verse, I wonder? And what would happen to the P and A kids in the FANS! verse? Would that be worth revisiting?
Twitcher

Postby brasca » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:43 am

Twitcher wrote:1. I dunno, if this is meant to be an amped up version of our world, Penny would be queen-libertarian chic, though she'd probably feel bad without knowing why every time a swipe at the intellectual kids landed too hard. "Gotta watch Fox News every night, study up on Rand..."
2. As for Helen, just having lots of facebook friends doesn't even make you popular in this universe, but there'd be a future for her on the darker corners of the 'net, and judging by who hangs out with her, (Karen, Stan, and Cyndi) it would not end well.
3. Wouldn't the school have some emergency plan (given that the world as they knew it vomited up it's collective unconscious a few years before)?
4. Laura is nice, but as most of us know, nice is way different than good, or effective. Di has never heard the world humility in her life.
5. I love this version of Shanna.
6. Yeah, sweding was a badly forced failure of a corporate meme in 20whateverthewho. These days, everyone's a critic. http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/

1. While independent thinking would be popular considering that many of the Fans defied the government before they saved the world and started working for it there are probably exceptions. I doubt Ayn Rand libertarians are all that popular seeing as how their belief in the individual outweighs everyone. The Fans clashed with authority, but they cared too much for each other and the world to be so mercenary.

2. Cyndi should not be trusted in any universe, but I cannot be sure about the others. Stan is a political animal of dubious loyalty, but Karen could be different in this universe. She never underwent a makeover because beauty standards seemed to have changed along with the culture. She could be the Karen we know just in her original body that does a lot of the same things because "pretty people do whatever they want" and in this universe she is pretty. However, it is possible that the world changing events did not just make Helen and Karen popular because they happened to have the look. Karen resented the popular girls, but never did anything about it until Penny and Aggie helped her with her makeover. Aside from winning a prize for an ant farm there is not all that much indication as to what her goals in life were. The world changed probably when everyone was just entering the middle school years thus displacing many of the cruelties they experienced on those now considered to be the losers in the social hierarchy so perhaps Karen and Helen's views were never warped. It appears that there is not one, but many alpha cliques at Bellville. Daphne, Fred, and Sara represent the gay clique and If I had to guess what clique Helen, Cyndi, Karen, and Stan represent it would be the social media darlings or perhaps blogosphere. By providing an outlet for attention Helen seems to have averted a lot of the problems she had in the other universe. Her father's love is still conditional, but at least she can compensate for that. Now if she lacks the wherewithal to know who is friending her for the sake of popularity then that could be a problem, but there is also the possibility that like Penny of the prime universe she knows popularity is fleeting and just goes through the motions. No universe is perfect, but I like to think that this is one where Helen does not have to run away from home to have a good life.

3. Probably, but before it could be implemented Team Alpha arrived. Of course when dealing with someone bent on killing everyone with dark magic I'm not sure what defensive measure would work aside having a pentagram drawn around the school. Charlotte probably made the mistake of summoning her powers outside the school and with enough time for it to be detected.

4. Well Team Alpha gave Laura a chance and while not the most helpful she was at least more stable and reliable than some of the other members. I know Di is Rumy's student and lacks the notoriety, but given enough time her presence there could improve the standing of students who identify with athletics like Brandi.

5. So do I, but I have to wonder what her counterpart is like in the prime universe. Her mother is sadly crazy and homeless outside of the restaurant where Rich worked so she probably lacks a job that can afford good institutional care.

6. Every clique has to have a name. They could do worse than Sweders.
brasca

Return to General Discussion