Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:02 pm

D-Day 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic Starter Robot
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby timemonkey » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:34 pm

And Aggie STILL doesn't get that Penny isn't a power mad dictator.
timemonkey
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby Twitcher » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:23 am

7. Why is the last panel what pushes Stan over the edge, here?
8. How the hell badly was Helen neglected if she hasn't had her room remodeled since infancy and knows jack shit about her generation's cultural touchstones? I'm ten years older than her canonical age and I know more about Pokemon than her. That should not be... was she treated as furniture most of the time?
9. See, ya don't talk to people with eating disorders this way...
10. Looks like Marshall's not the only one who confuses moral purity with willful ignorance... Ohai, Lisa, you're not helping.
11. I hate it when people buy into the just-world fallacy, and you'd expect Katy-Ann to be the last one to do so, which is what makes her character so damn frustrating.
12. See, they tend to run...
13. And will shut right the fuck down if you body-shame. You need to handle someone like Michelle a helluva lot more delicately than Penny is if you really expect them to get better.
14. I would've preferred a scene where her parents expressed a touch of concern, at least.
User avatar
Twitcher
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: In My Foggy Little Head

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:40 am

timemonkey wrote:And Aggie STILL doesn't get that Penny isn't a power mad dictator.

Aggie's a sex shaming brat who thinks she's better than everyone else. Do you really think she wouldn't view her as anything else?


Lisa isn't any better. She's a brattier little shit.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby brasca » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:18 pm

Twitcher wrote:7. Why is the last panel what pushes Stan over the edge, here?
8. How the hell badly was Helen neglected if she hasn't had her room remodeled since infancy and knows jack shit about her generation's cultural touchstones? I'm ten years older than her canonical age and I know more about Pokemon than her. That should not be... was she treated as furniture most of the time?
9. See, ya don't talk to people with eating disorders this way...
10. Looks like Marshall's not the only one who confuses moral purity with willful ignorance... Ohai, Lisa, you're not helping.
11. I hate it when people buy into the just-world fallacy, and you'd expect Katy-Ann to be the last one to do so, which is what makes her character so damn frustrating.
12. See, they tend to run...
13. And will shut right the fuck down if you body-shame. You need to handle someone like Michelle a helluva lot more delicately than Penny is if you really expect them to get better.
14. I would've preferred a scene where her parents expressed a touch of concern, at least.


7. It could be the realization as to who is responsible for Michelle's sudden weight loss. Either that or Karen's revulsion for the people she used to be. That was among my reasons for disliking her. I could have looked past a lot of what she did if her goal was to dethrone the queen bee and replace her clique with others who knew what it was like to be at the bottom of the social order, but at the end of the day Karen was always in it for herself.

8. From what we know of Mr. Tomalin he does not strike me as the kind of parent who wanted to invest any more in his daughter than necessary so I doubt he would grant her the budget to redecorate. Either that or this was her sister's bedroom and Helen was supposed to keep it the way it was much like a museum. Sadly, the latter might not be all that much of an exaggeration. He blamed Helen her lack of social skills, but if all she ever had was her sister's hand-me-downs and constant destructive criticism it's not surprising she turned out the way she did.

9. Not the best opening, but look where subtlety got Aggie.

10. Agreed although Katy Ann's heart is in the right place and she has a reason for reluctance. And this is another time when Lisa is more aggravating than helpful.

11. What is the problem with people who believing in a just world? At least Katy Ann is not pushing it on everyone or holding everyone to some impossible standard. I wonder if snake Aggie was a prototype for Eerie Cuties' Brooke Lynn. Brooke doesn't have a snout, but the hair is similar.

12. Well it is Michelle's house so you would not expect her to run.

13. Yes, but time is limited. By the time Penny became certified to handle people with eating disorders Michelle would either be hospitalized or dead.

14. Her Dad is hugging her. And her Mom might not have heard the commotion. Michelle hid her problem well and if they expressed concerns she'd probably react the way she did with Penny.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby Twitcher » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:59 pm

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a world better, but the just-world fallacy states that people who are affected by bad things must deserve them, which is patently untrue. Katy-Ann follows a corollary of that fallacy: She believes that good people can't possibly be affected by bad actions. Given that she's done some missionary work before, and has seen that bad things happen to good people, you'd think she'd have a little more character growth by now.
User avatar
Twitcher
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: In My Foggy Little Head

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby brasca » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:54 am

Twitcher wrote:There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a world better, but the just-world fallacy states that people who are affected by bad things must deserve them, which is patently untrue. Katy-Ann follows a corollary of that fallacy: She believes that good people can't possibly be affected by bad actions. Given that she's done some missionary work before, and has seen that bad things happen to good people, you'd think she'd have a little more character growth by now.


When has she ever expressed that belief? I think she's perfectly aware that bad things happen to good people, but bad things also happen to bad people by way of their actions and she chooses not to be around their toxic influence.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby Twitcher » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:23 am

Katy-Ann is absolutely shocked that people could believe Charlotte's accusations; that Sara, a good person and her friend, could be negatively impacted by Charlotte's bad actions.
User avatar
Twitcher
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: In My Foggy Little Head

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby timemonkey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:24 am

Because they're so idiotically false, not because bad things can't happen to good people like Sarah. She's believing people would be smarter and better than they are because she can't understand how they could possibly fall for something that's such an obvious lie.
timemonkey
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Re-read week 110: D-Day 7 - 14

Postby Twitcher » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:31 pm

That might be part of it, but she's also stated her belief that high-school things are petty, and shouldn't, even can't, matter as much as they might. It hurts her to think that she and others are affected by such things.
User avatar
Twitcher
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: In My Foggy Little Head


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron