Re-read week 109: D-Day 1 - 6

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 109: D-Day 1 - 6

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:02 pm

D-Day 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 109: D-Day 1 - 6

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:33 pm

I like how, in strip #2, each one of Aggie's friends responds to Penny completely in character: Fred with camp, Lisa with silliness, Daphne with guarded civility, and Sara (who is of course also Penny's friend once again) with mock-snark and a big ol' hug.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:01 am

Sara deserved someone way better than Daphne. She's too dudebro-y.

And honestly Helen should be told that she was drunk. So technically she couldn't consent to what Bob and Elmer coerced her into. They should also be thrown into fucking jail for that btw.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby mikbuster » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:18 am

I like how Aggie's dad looks at the coffee wondering if it's spiked.
You don't need a reason to help people. ~Zidane Tribal
Geez. Why are adults so pigheaded? ~Palom
How do you prove that we exist? Maybe we don't exist... ~Vivi Orunitia
The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty. ~Amarant Coral
mikbuster

Postby Twitcher » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:36 am

1. I still think we needed this first panel sooner, and if managed right, it could've amped up the tension without lessening the emotional payoff of Penny and Aggie's "It's us against the high school world, we attack at dawn" scene. Is Aggie's dad wondering if his coffee has a little something extra?
2. I consistently imagine Fred as being voiced by Frank Welker. Lisa, in my head-canon, is Kristen Bell. ("SHAKESPEARE!")
3. Helen would be Hope Chapman or Ashly Burch. They both are excellent at voice-over, and give off a great combination of vulnerability and worldliness, in part because they have gone through their share of shit.
4. The idea of parents so ignorant as to ignore an eating disorder so severe horrifies me, but I'm betting that a more unfortunately realistic aspect of affluent families.
5. Helen drinks, I cram my mouth full of candy and ignore the irony of my previous statement. YAY! RUNNING AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS IS FUN!
6. My mom asked me who I was living my life for the other day. I don't really know. I don't think Helen does, either.
Twitcher

Postby brasca » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:21 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Sara deserved someone way better than Daphne. She's too dudebro-y.

And honestly Helen should be told that she was drunk. So technically she couldn't consent to what Bob and Elmer coerced her into. They should also be thrown into fucking jail for that btw.

The problem is proving it in cases like that. And while Helen is an attention junkie does she really want the kind of attention that would come with pressing charges? Even though Bob and Elmer are far from popular too often the mentality is for boys to defend their brothers and slut shame the accusers.

As far as justice is concerned Mr. Levac busts Bob trying the same thing with Yolanda (Drunk Girl), but it's doubtful informing his parents would make all that much of a difference. Elmer on the other hand gets expelled for an assault he didn't commit on Xena and according to T Campbell later wins the Darwin Prize which is why he will never show up at any reunion. So in the end they more or less stumble upon their comeuppances at later times, but not for what they truly deserve punishment.

Twitcher wrote:4. The idea of parents so ignorant as to ignore an eating disorder so severe horrifies me, but I'm betting that a more unfortunately realistic aspect of affluent

Michelle's parents are not affluent. One of the reasons she resents her Dad is he has a career that pays little and does not afford her an allowance to live up to her friend's trend setting. Michelle hid her problems well and since she's always been skinny it would not be as dramatically noticeable.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:54 pm

Is Helen even upset over what happened to her? I thought she did remember and didn't realise how different it was for everyone else until she walked in and overheard them. She's all about getting attention in any form and being used.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 pm

timemonkey wrote:Is Helen even upset over what happened to her? I thought she did remember and didn't realise how different it was for everyone else until she walked in and overheard them. She's all about getting attention in any form and being used.

"Why is Helen upset that she was raped? She should be happy for that!"

....is that SERIOUSLY what you just asked? Wow. Just fucking WOW. You're gross. Congrads you are absolutely disgusting.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:22 am

timemonkey wrote:Is Helen even upset over what happened to her? I thought she did remember and didn't realise how different it was for everyone else until she walked in and overheard them.
It's the former and the latter. Helen thinks you have to do things that hurt yourself and others to win the approval of others, because that's how love and friendship is supposed to work. I've met a lot of RL people who've thought the same thing at one point in time, and many who never realized that that isn't true.
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:13 am

brasca wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:Sara deserved someone way better than Daphne. She's too dudebro-y.

The problem is proving it in cases like that. And while Helen is an attention junkie does she really want the kind of attention that would come with pressing charges? Even though Bob and Elmer are far from popular too often the mentality is for boys to defend their brothers and slut shame the accusers.

As far as justice is concerned Mr. Levac busts Bob trying the same thing with Yolanda (Drunk Girl), but it's doubtful informing his parents would make all that much of a difference. Elmer on the other hand gets expelled for an assault he didn't commit on Xena and according to T Campbell later wins the Darwin Prize which is why he will never show up at any reunion. So in the end they more or less stumble upon their comeuppances at later times, but not for what they truly deserve punishment.

That's not punishment. That's not fucking ENOUGH AT ALL for what they did to her! You seriously think the slap on the wrists they got were enough? They deserve to be beaten for what they do to girls. Rapists like them deserve a lot worse.
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:22 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:
timemonkey wrote:Is Helen even upset over what happened to her? I thought she did remember and didn't realise how different it was for everyone else until she walked in and overheard them. She's all about getting attention in any form and being used.

"Why is Helen upset that she was raped? She should be happy for that!"

....is that SERIOUSLY what you just asked? Wow. Just fucking WOW. You're gross. Congrads you are absolutely disgusting.

No need to overreact. The whole point of having a forum is open discussion. While it goes without saying that Helen is my favorite I have to admit that she is more distraught over how they just trashed her than the fact that she was violated. It actually establishes a pattern since she later tells her boyfriend Grigori while breaking up with him that he used her because he liked having sex with underage girls, but she didn't regret it because at least she got beer out of the arrangement. Of course even a 40 something mooching, philosophy spouting, poser is still a prize compared to Bob and Elmer.

Undeniably they took advantage of an inebriated girl regardless of whether she cared to press the charges, but I have doubts about Elmer's claims to anal sex. Given my low estimation of his endowment at best it was probably vigorous humping. It would still be sexual molestation, but not anal sex.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 am

..........overreacting? Haven't you ever fucking noticed that this kind of shit isn't dealt with properly? And excuse me for being disgusted how chalantly it's been treated inverse.

brasca wrote: Undeniably they took advantage of an inebriated girl regardless of whether she cared to press the charges, but I have doubts about Elmer's claims to anal sex. Given my low estimation of his endowment at best it was probably vigorous humping. It would still be sexual molestation, but not anal sex.

........wow. Yeah that's gross. Congrads. Seriously. She's been assaulted and you....ew.
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:14 am

Not every drunk girl who has sex sees it as rape. It is legally but it's ultimately up to her to decide. The fact that they hunt girls who are too drunk to really consent is disgusting, but if Helen doesn't mind then she doesn't mind and she seems to be bothered more about how little they think of her than what actually happened. Hell, it seems she remembered the whole thing and wasn't upset it happened. Helen LIKES being used, she's desperate to be used.
timemonkey

Postby Twitcher » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:21 am

I'd hardly say that that's the case, seeing that she's weeping with the revelation and that she's clutching her glasses so hard they've cracked.
Twitcher

Postby brasca » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:21 am

timemonkey wrote:Not every drunk girl who has sex sees it as rape. It is legally but it's ultimately up to her to decide. The fact that they hunt girls who are too drunk to really consent is disgusting, but if Helen doesn't mind then she doesn't mind and she seems to be bothered more about how little they think of her than what actually happened. Hell, it seems she remembered the whole thing and wasn't upset it happened. Helen LIKES being used, she's desperate to be used.

Twitcher wrote:I'd hardly say that that's the case, seeing that she's weeping with the revelation and that she's clutching her glasses so hard they've cracked.

It is a little of both. Deep down Helen probably is upset at what happened, but still willing to shrug it off as the price she pays for being used. The saddest thing about Helen doing what she does to be used is it's the only time she feels loved. As such she will go so far as to have sex with 2 misogynistic scumbags as well as stab her own friends in the back if she can have just 10 minutes of a feeling with the greatest resemblance for love. She wanted that feeling even though she knew what it would cost and it tears her up inside. Addicts do a lot of things that they know are bad, but they do it just for that all so brief sensation. Why should an attention junkie be any different? Even though she is better off not being strung along and used constantly by the likes of Bob and Elmer for sex she's still depressed over being casually dismissed after everything she did and it counting for nothing because she is that desperate for love and attention.

LadyObvious23 wrote:
brasca wrote:

That's not punishment. That's not fucking ENOUGH AT ALL for what they did to her! You seriously think the slap on the wrists they got were enough? They deserve to be beaten for what they do to girls. Rapists like them deserve a lot worse.

Deserve has nothing to do with it. Realistically speaking most rapists whose playbook Bob and Elmer follow get away with it because it's difficult to prove and too few people come forward to press charges. Do I wish that Bob and Elmer get lost in the woods trying to pull the same thing with another drunk girl only to be cornered by redneck trees. Yes, but it's not going to happen... because they are not indigenous to the area where this story takes place.
brasca

Next

Return to General Discussion