Re-read week 108: Suicide Run 8 - 15

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 108: Suicide Run 8 - 15

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:02 pm

Suicide Run 8 9 10 11 12-13 14-15
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 108: Suicide Run 8 - 15

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:10 pm

The day everything changed.

Penny's monologue is, I've always thought, one of the highlights in the entire comic. It really says it all.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Twitcher » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:39 pm

8. Ugh. Marshall's Virgin/Whore complex is presented as a good thing, and that unnerves me.
9. Oh, gee, I bet this monologue could apply to both girls...
10. Why her mom? Why now?
11. All this arc needed was Sara ringing up Penny and saying, "Backup plan in place? Yeah, knowing Aggie, this may not go well. She said her route went..." Then this would've been a bit more believable.
12. AAAAHHHH LORAX!
13. Cue klaxons.
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:40 am

Twitcher wrote:10. Why her mom? Why now?

Because she's Aggie's PARENT. Aggie is always worried about disappointing her so this cut really deep. Basically Marshall's a sexist fucking creep and he's gross.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Alice Macher » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:35 pm

Twitcher wrote:8. Ugh. Marshall's Virgin/Whore complex is presented as a good thing, and that unnerves me.

I disagree that the comic presents it as a good thing. It's true that T seems to have liked Marshall far more than much of the readership (myself included) did, hence his being put on a bus after "Providence in the Fall." But the way this climactic sequence is written and drawn, we're pretty clearly meant to see him as very much in the wrong here.

11. All this arc needed was Sara ringing up Penny and saying, "Backup plan in place? Yeah, knowing Aggie, this may not go well. She said her route went..." Then this would've been a bit more believable.

Exhibit A: Sara had doubts about Aggie's plan, and made a phone call.

Exhibit B: It was Penny that Sara called, to tip her off as to where Aggie would be the next morning.

Could this have been spelled out more explicitly? Perhaps. But T was already juggling many plot-balls in the air. And at this point, it was getting rather close to the full year he and Gis had promised for "The Popsicle War." Take a look (if you can bear it, given the lonnnnng discussions) at the threads for the strips prior to "That's what she'll do to the world," and you'll find that many within the fandom were getting restless. They wanted to see less of the good guys wallowing in defeat after defeat and more of the bad guys getting their butts handed to them. So it's understandable that T may not have wanted to go all Mr. Exposition here.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby brasca » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:52 am

Alice Macher wrote:
Twitcher wrote:8. Ugh. Marshall's Virgin/Whore complex is presented as a good thing, and that unnerves me.

I disagree that the comic presents it as a good thing. It's true that T seems to have liked Marshall far more than much of the readership (myself included) did, hence his being put on a bus after "Providence in the Fall." But the way this climactic sequence is written and drawn, we're pretty clearly meant to see him as very much in the wrong here.

Freemage had an especially dim view of Marshall, but defending Helen was a full time job so we never really got into many disputes. :lol: Marshall was an imperfect boy with understandable reasons for such weaknesses, but never malicious. Fidelity is a good thing it's just unfortunate that it's with a girl as bad as Karen. And from his point of view Aggie is acting like every other conniving girl who seeks to undermine and snipe at their rivals and it's not like Aggie doesn't have some past history that reinforces this notion. At the time I was sympathetic with Aggie because even after all this time it still hurts to see someone punched in the gut like that, but she really should have planned this better.

Alice Macher wrote:
Twitcher wrote:11. All this arc needed was Sara ringing up Penny and saying, "Backup plan in place? Yeah, knowing Aggie, this may not go well. She said her route went..." Then this would've been a bit more believable.

Exhibit A: Sara had doubts about Aggie's plan, and made a phone call.

Exhibit B: It was Penny that Sara called, to tip her off as to where Aggie would be the next morning.

Could this have been spelled out more explicitly? Perhaps. But T was already juggling many plot-balls in the air. And at this point, it was getting rather close to the full year he and Gis had promised for "The Popsicle War." Take a look (if you can bear it, given the lonnnnng discussions) at the threads for the strips prior to "That's what she'll do to the world," and you'll find that many within the fandom were getting restless. They wanted to see less of the good guys wallowing in defeat after defeat and more of the bad guys getting their butts handed to them. So it's understandable that T may not have wanted to go all Mr. Exposition here.

Makes sense. I found it a little too convenient that Penny should show up at just the right time, but if Sara contacted her then it's totally plausible. Good thing too because if their jogging route is the same one Cyndi takes to get home this chapter would've ended very differently.
brasca

Postby Twitcher » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:06 pm

I'd be much more charitable toward Marshall if his standing idly by while Karen called Aggie a rug-muncher was played differently, maybe with his asking her why she's still upset over Aggie, or saying that he draws the line at insults directed at his friends, or something. There's only so much a lover of either gender can realistically ignore without being bothered, at least a little.
Twitcher

Postby timemonkey » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:09 am

Yeah, the comic kept saying he was a good and admiral person but never really showed it. I was actually a bit annoyed when Marshal ultimately faded away from the story, we'd wasted so much time on him that I wanted it to actually pay off at some point.
timemonkey

Postby retrophrenologist » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:24 pm

timemonkey wrote:Yeah, the comic kept saying he was a good and admiral person

I disagree, the comic never suggested that he was a senior naval officer. :)
"I am the spirit that denies. All that you call sin and destruction-- or evil, if you will-- that is my proper element."
retrophrenologist

Return to General Discussion