Re-read week 107: Suicide Run 2 - 7

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 107: Suicide Run 2 - 7

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:02 pm

Suicide Run 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 107: Suicide Run 2 - 7

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:36 pm

What the hell did she see in him? He's got the personality of wet clay!

And yeah people can dread ya Aggie. Yer kinda judgemental and stereotyping.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:52 pm

Her crush was entirely superficial, everything else after that was dealing with no brain function Aggie. Aggie's crush never bothered me, what bothered me was how EVERYONE else loved him too.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Especially since he's got such a sheeple personality. Oh god. DX
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Bo Lindbergh » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Looks good, pets dog ➞ BOOM, instant illogical obsession.
Bo Lindbergh

Postby brasca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:11 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Especially since he's got such a sheeple personality. Oh god. DX

Sheeple? Marshall has been called a lot of things and most of it wrong. Marshall does a lot of things teenagers do not. Despite his attractiveness he never exploits it to get a different girl every day the way a lot of boys his age would. If it weren't for his good looks he'd be considered a square, but most girls probably think if they show him a good time they could cure him of this. Karen is the only one who was lucky enough to get him and because he doesn't understand people too well he doesn't realize how bad Karen really is. He's actually being a good boyfriend by protecting the woman he loves against accusations which lack evidence. So how is he a sheeple again?

Aggie's initial approach was correct, but she should have inquired about Charlotte and then give Karen the benefit of the doubt even if she didn't believe it. That way she'd still have credibility with Marshall and he might begin to question Karen's actions, but she veers off and it ends badly.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:56 pm

brasca wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:Especially since he's got such a sheeple personality. Oh god. DX

Sheeple? Marshall has been called a lot of things and most of it wrong. Marshall does a lot of things teenagers do not. Despite his attractiveness he never exploits it to get a different girl every day the way a lot of boys his age would. If it weren't for his good looks he'd be considered a square, but most girls probably think if they show him a good time they could cure him of this. Karen is the only one who was lucky enough to get him and because he doesn't understand people too well he doesn't realize how bad Karen really is. He's actually being a good boyfriend by protecting the woman he loves against accusations which lack evidence. So how is he a sheeple again?

He literally goes with what he hears,defends a chick who's abused him in the past and literally doesn't learn a damn thing. He's a sheeple.
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:11 pm

That's not what sheeple means.
timemonkey

Postby Twitcher » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:43 pm

2. I think Aggie really believes, on one level, at least, that she can get through to him through sheer intellectual passion, and jog off into the sunset with him through reason alone.
3. Another reason people don't sympathize with Marshall. This level of innocence isn't moral purity, it's willful ignorance. You see shit? Call people out on it.
4. Because people as insecure as Karen are afraid of everyone.
5. Does Karen have a learning disability?
6. Marshall Quixote, tilting at windmills...
7. NOT A GOOD TIME, AGGIE.
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 pm

timemonkey wrote:That's not what sheeple means.

:/ Yeah it is. Dude literally doesn't seem to think or learn anything outside the crap he's been fed. He's a sheeple.
LadyObvious23

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 am

Words, as 6SL Duane would likely tell us, can mean different things to different people. However the most common usage of the word sheeple isn't really to denote incurious devotion to an individual, but rather herdlike acceptance of mass media and political culture.* While he's certainly mislead about some things, I'm hesitant to describe Marshall as one of the herd. He's always seemed mostly a loner, he's had an antagonistic relationship with youth sexuality, and so forth. He seems like less of a sheep than a puppy, perhaps kicked a few times before and now completely loyal to one of the first people to treat him better than he was used to.

*The common usage for Sheeple: A blogger or talk radio host ranting, "Wake up, Sheeple, you're being misled by politician/corporation/etc!!!."
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby timemonkey » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:39 am

DAPHNE would be a closer example to a 'sheeple' than Marshal. Still not quite right but closer. Marshal is more stubborn and willfully oblivious.
timemonkey

Postby FlyingFish » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:13 am

Oh, Aggie. You are getting a colossal amount of new insight into WHY Karen is behaving as she does, and you do NOTHING with this information. You do not adapt, you do not back off to reconsider, and you do not see that Marshall won't be able to see past "my girlfriend is a wounded bird and needs protection." You just keep blundering forward with the original plan.

Marshall doesn't (isn't willing to) see how Karen's insecurities could take her down a dark road. But Aggie doesn't (isn't willing to) see how Karen's dark road really did start from her insecurities.
FlyingFish

Postby brasca » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:53 am

Love can make you blind and that is how most of us want it. Relationships strain and break if one or both of the people involved constantly have second thoughts and suspicions. Marshall loves Karen so he trusts her without question. It would be a beautiful thing and what most of us want out of our lovers. It's just a pity that he's placed that trust in Karen.
brasca

Return to General Discussion