SBT, SBC 11: So I'd Better Get Started.

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

SBT, SBC 11: So I'd Better Get Started.

Postby brasca » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:16 pm

That was sweet. It really was. And while this is the end it also seems to be the origin of another everyday hero. I like to imagine that.

I want to thank you Mr. Campbell and Mr. Milholland for creating a character that has held my interest consistently when I started following this strip 6 years ago as well as taking the time to conclude her story.

It would be nice if we could find out what some of the others are up to 6 or 12 Septembers later too. I'll still be around to read it.
brasca

Re: SBT, SBC 11: So I'd Better Get Started.

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:14 am

Good choice, Helen. Helping others less fortunate than oneself isn't, of course, a magical cure for one's own problems, which one still must face and do one's best with. But it does broaden one's horizons and give a sense of purpose. Most of all, though, it's simply the right thing to do.

And seconding brasca's thanks to T and Randy, for creating such a fascinating, often puzzling, at times infuriating, character, but one with the potential to make different, better choices. And again to T for giving us some closure on her story.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Xa Xa Xa » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:51 am

Likewise; thanks so much. Helen was the one character I worried/wondered about the most, and I greatly appreciated this.

(I also want to thank the Google overlords for having the start of this arc [?] pop up on my Google Now- I would have slept on it completely if it didn't.)
Xa Xa Xa

Postby Twitcher » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:05 am

This was awesome, and exactly the ending I'd been hoping for for Helen.
Twitcher

Postby thebitterfig » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:49 am

No wonder Helen and Aggie had a nice fifteen minutes together at the reunion. But also no wonder she didn't stay. In the words of Heraclitus, another dead Greek, "Everything changes and nothing remains still ... and ... you cannot step twice into the same stream."
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby brasca » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:08 am

thebitterfig wrote:No wonder Helen and Aggie had a nice fifteen minutes together at the reunion. But also no wonder she didn't stay. In the words of Heraclitus, another dead Greek, "Everything changes and nothing remains still ... and ... you cannot step twice into the same stream."

Aside from Aggie who else would be there that she really wanted to see? Aggie was the only one of her group that she had any kind of bond. Although I would like to see the Boston hardened Helen trade barbs with Lisa, she didn't go to the reunion so that was never going to happen. As for erstwhile acquaintances: Karen never went to their school, Tharqa other than her figure didn't change all that much (Perhaps Helen contacted her figured that out within a few minutes), and Charlotte is still in jail. Maybe she reached out to her after hearing everything that went down with her and emails on a regular basis.

I also wonder if she had other reasons for returning home. It seems like a wasted trip to just go to her reunion and then not go in so maybe she had other reasons to return. Perhaps she reconciled with her sister prior to going... or it could be something cool like her evolving into a super hero who prevents suicides and she's back in town to battle her arch nemesis The Pusher (aka Cyndi) who's also back in town to cause problems. :lol:
brasca

Return to General Discussion