Re-read week 104: Conversion 1 - Interventions 3

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 104: Conversion 1 - Interventions 3

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Conversion 1 2 3
Interventions 1 2 3
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 104: Conversion 1 - Interventions 3

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:20 pm

And the evolution of Lisa from "alienated angry punk" to "Memey McGenkiskirt" is complete. For better or worse, according to your own convictions. :mrgreen:
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:01 am

Bob and Elmer should be arrested for what they did to Helen. I doubt she's the only drunk girl they took advantage of together. I know she won't be the last. DX
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Twitcher » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:15 am

1. Privilege showing much, Aggie?
2. A religious conversion...
3. Just to be daring? I dunno, man.

1. This whole plot requires Marshall, Stan, and arguably Daphne to act like complete idiots. Not all teens are so easily led by their hormones.
2 Where were the teachers? The cops? The only way this makes ANY sense, especially in this day and age, is if Mrs. Simms and the Sunflower family were monied enough and tight enough with the local school board and government to make this kind of crap not matter to them. Samantha's dad is a judge, right?
3. It's not that Lisa spouts memes. It's because she doesn't care about any of the answers, she has all of them. She's Katy-Ann's complement, Memey Ex Machina, and I loved that she was being forced to grow out of that by the time Quiltbag started, because college is a place where you learn that you don't have all the answers, and never will.
Twitcher

Postby brasca » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:03 am

Twitcher wrote:1. Privilege showing much, Aggie?
2. A religious conversion...
3. Just to be daring? I dunno, man.

1. This whole plot requires Marshall, Stan, and arguably Daphne to act like complete idiots. Not all teens are so easily led by their hormones.
2 Where were the teachers? The cops? The only way this makes ANY sense, especially in this day and age, is if Mrs. Simms and the Sunflower family were monied enough and tight enough with the local school board and government to make this kind of crap not matter to them. Samantha's dad is a judge, right?
3. It's not that Lisa spouts memes. It's because she doesn't care about any of the answers, she has all of them. She's Katy-Ann's complement, Memey Ex Machina, and I loved that she was being forced to grow out of that by the time Quiltbag started, because college is a place where you learn that you don't have all the answers, and never will.

Regarding Conversion 1-3 I think Duane was curious about the spiritual fulfillment that religion often brings and it can be wonderful until it is taken to extremes.

1. While I agree with you on Daphne and Stan being misled by their hormones, I think Marshall was blinded more by love than lust.
2. While the absence of the adults is a little too convenient at times it's not too unbelievable. We find out later in Quiltbag that Iseul knew her daughter was a target. She was upset of course, but what could she or any other adult in the know do? I don't think any of the other parents ever found out what happened and even if they did their reactions would vary. I think Iseul preferred to keep it all a secret and then increase pressuring her daughter to date boys to dispel the rumors. Mrs. Simms if she knew could probably be convinced by Charlotte that she was doing God's work and while we don't know much about the Sunflowers it's been theorized that they are new age parents that don't discipline their daughter at all and probably would consider this something for the kids to resolve. The video was anonymous and the accused never named. Moreover, I doubt someone like Principal Giulliani or the school board would want his school to get a bad reputation which is what ordering an investigation would do. Perhaps there was a secret meeting held and they all agreed to be wary of anything suspicious and treat the video like a hoax until enough evidence was gathered to act.
3. I agree totally on this, but even before Quiltbag Lisa was starting to see that she just couldn't summarize everything neatly in some meme and not care who loves and hates her. Once she started college she fully realized this.
brasca

Return to General Discussion