Re-read week 102: Whispers and Silence 10 - 15

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 102: Whispers and Silence 10 - 15

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:02 pm

Whispers and Silence 10 11 12 13 14 15
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 102: Whispers and Silence 10 - 15

Postby brasca » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:06 am

People believe what they want to believe. Although Duane didn't believe the rape accusation he did believe that Penny and Sara were lovers and on the surface it's a reasonable conclusion. Daphne as well as the other students believed it for many of the same reasons Duane stated. Considering how many times Penny teased boys or rejected their offers to dates it's not all that surprising those with stung egos would be especially quick to believe. Ultimately, it's schandenfreud and high schools are just full of people who indulge in it.
brasca

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:43 pm

brasca wrote:People believe what they want to believe. Although Duane didn't believe the rape accusation he did believe that Penny and Sara were lovers and on the surface it's a reasonable conclusion. Daphne as well as the other students believed it for many of the same reasons Duane stated. Considering how many times Penny teased boys or rejected their offers to dates it's not all that surprising those with stung egos would be especially quick to believe. Ultimately, it's schandenfreud and high schools are just full of people who indulge in it.

He only believed it because he was fucking rejected by her. Which is the shittiest thing ever.

Daphne believed it because SARA WOULDN'T FUCK HER!! She even said so! She deserves a punch in the face for believing a RUMOR AND LIAR OVER A PERSON SHE HAS SPENT TIME WITH AND KNOWS WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW SHE'D NEVER DO THAT TYPE OF THING!!!
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 pm

I think Daphne's behavior in this storyline would have sat somewhat less poorly with me had her concern actually been for Charlotte rather than Daphne herself (and Daphne's ladybits). That's not to say I still wouldn't have found her a jackass, just maybe a somewhat more redeemable one.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby brasca » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:26 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:
brasca wrote:People believe what they want to believe. Although Duane didn't believe the rape accusation he did believe that Penny and Sara were lovers and on the surface it's a reasonable conclusion. Daphne as well as the other students believed it for many of the same reasons Duane stated. Considering how many times Penny teased boys or rejected their offers to dates it's not all that surprising those with stung egos would be especially quick to believe. Ultimately, it's schandenfreud and high schools are just full of people who indulge in it.

He only believed it because he was fucking rejected by her. Which is the shittiest thing ever.

Daphne believed it because SARA WOULDN'T FUCK HER!! She even said so! She deserves a punch in the face for believing a RUMOR AND LIAR OVER A PERSON SHE HAS SPENT TIME WITH AND KNOWS WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW SHE'D NEVER DO THAT TYPE OF THING!!!

Duane was not without an ulterior motive, but even his suspicions was based on a reasonable amount of evidence. Like I said he didn't believe neither Penny nor Sara raped Charlotte because he knows better than that. One thing that was correct from the confessional was Sara's sexuality. The rest was a lie, but that is what makes half truths so effective. If the Injustice Gang made a video accusing Penny and Michelle of raping Charlotte no one would believe it, but Sara is in fact a lesbian and there are enough circumstantial facts like Penny's haughty air of superiority and both her and Sara's lack of dating history with the opposite sex. If Rich were still around it would be different, but without her only serious boyfriend to confirm her sexuality there is enough to make it believable and like I said there are also just enough envious and vengeful people who want to think it's true.

Moreover, Duane owes Penny nothing. It was not an amicable breakup, but at least he's civil about it. He's not like Daphne jumping on the bandwagon, but at the same time he feels no strong motivation to defend a girl who broke his heart. At least he gave her some good advice that it was the school not him that she would ultimately have to convince.
brasca

Return to General Discussion