Re-read week 100: Malcolm 3 - Whispers and Silence 3

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 100: Malcolm 3 - Whispers and Silence 3

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Malcolm 3 4 5
Whispers and Silence 1 2 3
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 100: Malcolm 3 - Whispers and Silence 3

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:06 pm

Go on slinging slurs Stan. Eyup. You pathetic suck up.

Poor Michelle. I really just wanted to hug her. Thank goodness that didn't go any further or worse.

I'd feel bad for Daph. But she's a tool. So fuck her.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:19 am

I liked the Luann cameos with Crystal, Tiffany, and TJ although I must admit when I first started reading this comic which was around this chapter I confused Sara for Crystal and thought she was going behind Penny's back too.

Perhaps I'd understand the Malcolm chapter if I understood MacBeth better. In the play Malcolm seeks to dethrone MacBeth because he is a usurper, but Stan is just nursing a grudge regarding her relationship with Rich. While it was nice of Stan to invite Katy-Ann does he not know that it would not be her kind of scene or is he just doing this to be polite?

And so begins the infamous party. Say what you will Helen is a cute drunk. Too bad she gets chatty and amorous with the wrong people.
brasca

Postby Twitcher » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:36 am

We know that Stan is more remorseful and concerned about Michelle than he wants to admit, but that seems to be the character's problem. There is no catalyst for him, no breakthrough where he sees a hint of consequence for his willful narrowmindedness, which is still in effect at his five-year-reunion. Yeah, he's interesting, but it's hard to like him without seeing an author's eye view of his life, and almost impossible to love the character.
We've all pulled a Daphne before. God knows I have.
And we've all been in horribly awkward situations like Helen's. Ohhh, gawwwd... :oops:
Twitcher

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:56 pm

I don't think I ever got drunk and spilled someone's innermost secrets for attention.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:18 pm

She didn't spill them for attention though, she just mentioned it off handed without realising it. She was just bitterly ranting to herself, which tends to happen when you're always ignored.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:25 pm

No she was literally telling Karen and risking someone else's life while being an ass.
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:39 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:No she was literally telling Karen and risking someone else's life while being an ass.

But it was not for attention as you stated. If she wanted that she could have made out with Daphne... oh wait Cyndi beat her to that.

The point is Helen has a lot of insecurities as well as repressed feelings. The only time she expressed herself freely was when she stopped Charlotte's plot to frame Katy-Ann. The dialogue was just lines so we do not know the exact words, but suffice it say she told Charlotte off and was expelled from her group. Now even though she ends up in Aggie's group which is a healthier alternative it can still be a little stifling. Aggie has some strong opinions and I imagine she could become insufferable to talk to after awhile, Lisa is a pop culture and music snob, and Daphne is as much of a fashionista as Penny. I think Fred understood some of Helen's insecurities, but had his hands full with Daphne so he really could not help her out all that much. Now I am not blaming any of them for making Helen feel unwelcome. They are teenagers with their own problems and issues to deal with and that is just how things work out at times. Helen also knew Karen only cared about the intelligence she could provide, but at least they had enough common interests that they could probably carry on small talk without it being awkward. However, Karen's bossiness was tiresome as well which brings us to the critical moment. Helen's inhibitions were down so she could talk to Karen without a care. She wanted to let the master schemer know that she was actually clueless about a lot of things. Unfortunately, she also told her the things she did not know. Deep down I think she wants to say what is on her mind, but is so fearful of offending and getting ostracized from whatever group she is in she represses it until at some point it cannot be contained anymore.
brasca

Return to General Discussion