Re-read week 99: Drama Queens 21 - Malcolm 2

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 99: Drama Queens 21 - Malcolm 2

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Drama Queens 21 22 23 24 25
Malcolm 1-2
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 99: Drama Queens 21 - Malcolm 2

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:43 pm

Aggie's pretty much the best bully in the group. If she actually pulled her head out of her ass long enough she'd see that Penny isn't as "EVIIIIILLL" as her little fucking mind thought. So what if she's blond and popular? BIG FUCKING WHOOP. Would she be treating Penny the same way if she'd dyed her hair purple and started wearing punk clothes? Still very glad she grew the hell out of this.

Stan needs to fucking get punched for being a sleezey sexist creep though. Helping to destroy another person's life because the guy you're keeping on a pedistal left is fucking weak. Pathetic too. Dude is utterly disgusting.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:12 pm

He's not trying to ruin her life, just knock her out of the position as 'Queen Bee'. He doesn't know how far the others involved are planning and willing to go and as soon as he figures it out he switches sides.
timemonkey

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Still a sleeze. Still disgusting. Fucking helped hurt Michelle and barely got her friends there in time to help. Dude deserves the biggest punch in the face.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:48 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Aggie's pretty much the best bully in the group. If she actually pulled her head out of her ass long enough she'd see that Penny isn't as "EVIIIIILLL" as her little fucking mind thought. So what if she's blond and popular? BIG FUCKING WHOOP. Would she be treating Penny the same way if she'd dyed her hair purple and started wearing punk clothes? Still very glad she grew the hell out of this.

Appearances matter and Penny certainly kept up the appearance of a haughty queen bee. She even admits that as much in Suicide Run. We readers have the vantage point of seeing this from multiple points of view so we know there is more to her than that, but for Aggie there is only hers. Aggie saw her make snide comments about people's fashion or taste in music (Helen) and the aftermath of her dethroning Meg which was an underhanded thing for Penny to do and thus naturally comes to the conclusion that most people would too. If I were in the same position I might not go so far as to attack her, but I certainly would not hold Penny in the highest regard either. And while she is popular many of the studends are fickle and just want to be friends with the queen bee or go to her parties, and a lot of the same ones like to see the mighty fall which is why so many readily believed the anonymous confessional. On top of that is Aggie's heightened social awareness is compounded by a personal tragedy. Such unfairness motivates her to strike at the person who embodies so much of what she sees as wrong with the world. To her credit Aggie started openly picking fights with Penny when she had no one watching her back. Bullies do not work that way.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:24 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Still a sleeze. Still disgusting. Fucking helped hurt Michelle and barely got her friends there in time to help. Dude deserves the biggest punch in the face.

He broke up with someone he didn't want to be in a relationship with in the first place. Michelle hurt Michelle, Cyndi hurt Michelle. Stan gets blamed for something that was not his fault, though I admit he should have done it a lot sooner.
timemonkey

Postby brasca » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:21 am

timemonkey wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:Still a sleeze. Still disgusting. Fucking helped hurt Michelle and barely got her friends there in time to help. Dude deserves the biggest punch in the face.

He broke up with someone he didn't want to be in a relationship with in the first place. Michelle hurt Michelle, Cyndi hurt Michelle. Stan gets blamed for something that was not his fault, though I admit he should have done it a lot sooner.

And this was one of those few times he was honest.
brasca

Postby thebitterfig » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Taken with the next page (and there are only 3 pages to Malcolm), it paints an interesting picture of Stan. Katy Ann pretty clearly sees that Stan is fairly upset by the situation. That's why his patter redlines next page, why he's trying too hard to be "on." Jack, despite usually having fair insight, doesn't really notice.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Return to General Discussion