Re-read week 98: Drama Queens 15 - 20

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 98: Drama Queens 15 - 20

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Drama Queens 15 16 17 18 19 20
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 98: Drama Queens 15 - 20

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:17 pm

Samantha really should put her efforts into REAL oppression and not some bullshit rumour spread by Aggie. Because this is the most childish she's ever fucking been in this comic. Too bad Brandi didn't get Penny alone to share her suspicions about Cyndi right then and there. I think this would've been nipped in the bud if she went with her gut.

And wow. Helen. Fuck you. You're betraying them to feel needed. Just go fuck yourself. You're literally going to put Sara's life at risk as well as Aggie's because you need to feel " NEEDED ". Fuck off.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:41 pm

I would like to know more about Samantha's overly heightened sense of racism. While she often comes off as a poser being financially comfortable and enrolled in a private school it is possible that she experienced something in her life or close to someone that made her realize that things are not as equal as claimed.
brasca

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:35 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:You're literally going to put Sara's life at risk as well as Aggie's because you need to feel " NEEDED ". Fuck off.

I knew your opinion on Sara, but I'm confused how Helen ever did anything that could be expected to put Aggie's life at risk. The closest I can think of was Aggie briefly considering suicide after Karen's call, but Helen could never have expected that result from blabbing about her crush.
FlyingFish

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:04 pm

T revealed that Aggie would have committed suicide if Penny hadn't gotten to her.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:59 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:T revealed that Aggie would have committed suicide if Penny hadn't gotten to her.

News to me, but we can never really tell what consequences our careless actions will have. Penny and Sara probably didn't think anything about drifting away from a childhood friend with insecurity problems. Oh well :roll:

And why is it LadyObvious that you hold Helen to a much higher standard than Cyndi? She is actively trying to break up Penny's group from within by pretending to be a friend and if she knew the things Helen did she wouldn't hesitate to use them unless it meant a bigger pay off by waiting. Seeing as how Cyndi has a penchant for pushing people into the pool she would have been laying in wait with a bag of razor blades and sleeping pills as soon as Aggie was done talking to Karen.
brasca

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:08 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:T revealed that Aggie would have committed suicide if Penny hadn't gotten to her.

Yes, I remember that and even mentioned it. I was asking how Helen was supposed to see that as a possible consequence of her actions.
FlyingFish

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:46 pm

brasca wrote:

News to me, but we can never really tell what consequences our careless actions will have. Penny and Sara probably didn't think anything about drifting away from a childhood friend with insecurity problems. Oh well :roll:

And why is it LadyObvious that you hold Helen to a much higher standard than Cyndi? She is actively trying to break up Penny's group from within by pretending to be a friend and if she knew the things Helen did she wouldn't hesitate to use them unless it meant a bigger pay off by waiting. Seeing as how Cyndi has a penchant for pushing people into the pool she would have been laying in wait with a bag of razor blades and sleeping pills as soon as Aggie was done talking to Karen.
So basically growing up and having different likes makes them the bad guys? Despite the BULLSHIT Helen pulled on them? The BETRAYL she committed. Fuck her.

It's so cute how you seemed to believe that I'm holding her to a higher standard. She scares the shit out of me. I think if she had the taste for blood/torture her career as a killer would be more horrifying.

And I did mention that I WISH Brandi had mentioned her starting suspicions about Cyndi to PENNY. Because that might've been nipped in the bud and Michelle might not have gotten pushed into an eating disorder. Or harm anyone else for that matter if they kept a good eye on her.
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:39 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:
brasca wrote:

So basically growing up and having different likes makes them the bad guys? Despite the BULLSHIT Helen pulled on them? The BETRAYL she committed. Fuck her.

It's so cute how you seemed to believe that I'm holding her to a higher standard. She scares the shit out of me. I think if she had the taste for blood/torture her career as a killer would be more horrifying.

And I did mention that I WISH Brandi had mentioned her starting suspicions about Cyndi to PENNY. Because that might've been nipped in the bud and Michelle might not have gotten pushed into an eating disorder. Or harm anyone else for that matter if they kept a good eye on her.

Cyndi scares you, but the contempt for her is not on the same level as it is for Helen which is what I notice. And growing apart does not make them bad guys. These things happen in life, but for someone with a lot of insecurity issues like Helen that hurt more than they realized. Maybe if they understood that better they would have tried to be more inclusive and not lose touch and conversely if Helen understood that drunkenly spilling someone's secret could be potentially life threatening she would have been more tight lipped. It is all about intent and there have been times when nearly every character has behaved badly with intention. The only difference is severity. Prodding Aggie on Karen's behest was unethical, but it was no violation since Aggie did not need all that much encouragement to continue her quarrel with Penny. Drunkenly disclosing secrets to the wrong person was careless, but accidental. Helen's biggest moral failing was not coming clean with what she did and even pretending to believe the lie was true. Desperation and insecurities might explain her motivation, but ultimately it is no excuse. If that is what you were attacking her on I would concede that argument, but you keep mentioning hypothetical scenarios where people's lives were in danger. If it was really that bad they would never have forgiven her.

I know the whole matter is a dead horse beating, but it's still amazing that after all these years Helen is still one of the most polarizing characters on the board.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:57 am

Wait, Aggie would have committed suicide? Over Marshal telling her off? How emotionally unstable is Aggie? I knew she had some issues but god damn that's extreme for so minor an offense.
timemonkey

Postby FlyingFish » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:46 am

timemonkey wrote:Wait, Aggie would have committed suicide? Over Marshal telling her off? How emotionally unstable is Aggie? I knew she had some issues but god damn that's extreme for so minor an offense.

He did kick her where it hurt the most (her relationship with her mother; Penny at her worst declined to go there) and it was coming from someone she had crushed over badly for over a year (I doubt the same comment from Karen would have had the same effect).

That said, yeah, Aggie does seem to be overreacting... but then, I don't have a dead loved one who I admired like Aggie does her mother, so I can't really say how I would have responded to the same.
FlyingFish

Postby thebitterfig » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Consider also "The Lady and the Tiger" and what her fever-dream-mother says to her: "Honey, I don't know what's more embarrassing: that think I would want you to give up and die, or that loving life makes you like Charisma." Aggie no doubt already had a lot of conflicting emotions about deserving life prior to Suicide Run. When Marshall says she's just like everyone else, Aggie feels as though he just called her Charisma, with all that implies about Aggie becoming what she hates most.

And it means she's wasted her life, the one her mother risked hers to protect. And since Melody died, it feels like a large part of Aggie's mission is devoting herself to do the good in the world Melody can't. That's her way of making her mother live again, in a way. So to become evil, to become like Charisma, to become like everyone else? It's like Aggie killed her mother herself.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Adrishiana » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:45 am

There is a bit of WTF Brandi here, especially since she did stand up for Penny until Penny handled the situation herself.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:13 pm

I suspect the confrontation between Samantha and the others left Brandi a bit off-balance. We've seen how much conflict of any sort makes her uncomfortable. So maybe that made her just vulnerable enough for Cyndi's suggestion to sink in.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby Twitcher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:17 am

15. The concept of Samantha gets more and more troubling with each passing year: "Oh, la, a black teenage girl who does not yet realize that we live in a post-racial society! How droll! Riots in Ferguson? Fooferah! We need not concern ourselves with such trivialities! Nicki Minaj and Beyonce Knowles being slut-shamed, while Lily Allen is hailed as a revolutionary? We-hell, the former are strumpets! Miss Allen is a GODDESS! Rest easy, minorities! We have a black president! All our problems are SOLVED!" [/sarcasm]
16. I wonder if "drifted apart" is a synonym for, "it got uncomfortable being around Helen and her dysfunctional family." I've heard those two words have that general meaning before...
17. Creepy Cyndi moment number two?
18. I'm guessing I'm right about 16.
19. Sex, sex, sexy sex.
20. Ah yes, girls, socialization, and the great war of passive-aggression. Not like me an' Sis, we just beat the crap out of each other. Ah, memories.
Twitcher

Next

Return to General Discussion