Re-read week 97: Drama Queens 9 - 14

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 97: Drama Queens 9 - 14

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:01 pm

Drama Queens 9 10 11 12 13 14
Topic Starter Robot

Re: Re-read week 97: Drama Queens 9 - 14

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:39 pm

The Hell did Michelle see in that piece of shit? He's literally too friggin' assholey to see that Karen's slime. And the reason he's helping her destroy Penny for is laughable. A guy he pushed into godhood ran off? Because of some sexist bullshit that he made to be Penny's fault that Rich got stabbed? No it totes wasn't the stabber's fault. Totes Penny's fault.

Sexist little shit. Michelle deserves so much better than him,Brandi too.

And I'm so glad that Aggie grows out of her childish bullshit. Like she was seriously too self righteous to see that she was the bully all along. So glad she grew out of that.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby brasca » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:52 am

I am curious as to what is the source of Jacks's self esteem problem. I know his family didn't have much to start with until later, but he did not have abusive parents or an economic situation that remained bleak like Rich or teetering like Stan.
brasca

Postby timemonkey » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:41 am

He has both a drinking problem and a nasty temper, and he's self aware to know both those things are bad.
timemonkey

Postby brasca » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:19 pm

timemonkey wrote:He has both a drinking problem and a nasty temper, and he's self aware to know both those things are bad.

Makes sense, although he should probably be upfront about those details as the deal breaker. Katy-Ann is right about his good qualities even if his loyalty is to Stan.
brasca

Postby thebitterfig » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:18 pm

Stan is a good looking, charismatic guy. Fairly popular, talented lovemaker, ambitious, and also a guy who seems like a winner, like he'll figure out success (unlike Michelle's dad). All that together he seems like a man of limitless potential. He keeps squandering it, though.

As much as he was the clever one in the Stan/Rich/Jack trio, his wisdom is a bit low, and he's got major blind spots. Stan has some idea of what a man should be, but unfortunately for him and those around him, that idea is wrong. So he keeps putting his mistaken ideas--about what he should do, how he should behave, who he should date, what he needs to accomplish--over the people around him who ultimately would matter more in both the long run and the short run. None of this out of malice or cruelty, but out of a sort of naivete. Well, except for his grudge with Penny. That alone causes at least a solid third of his problems (whether or not he notices that they are problems). Unlike Aggie, he doesn't outgrow his bullshit (maybe 6 Septembers).

One other thing about Stan. He's not a loser. instead, he fucks up by winning. T-Shirt video aggravates his Penny-problems? Not because it was bad, but because he made a better video. He doesn't strike out with Michelle, but is too successful, in a way. He loses Brandy by how he wins the election. He always comes up with some dodge to get out of every scrape scott-free, like when Cyndi drugged him. And so at each step, instead of failing and potentially learning a lesson, he wins at great cost, and thinks he did the right thing.

I'd rather know Duane, play some scrabs, talk literary criticism and religious studies, drink three gallons of coffee hanging out with him and Ming Jung in grad school. I'd much rather read a comic about Stan.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Twitcher » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:47 am

1. Mockrie should know that one shouldn't expect real-life attitudes to carry to the stage.
2. 60 year olds in teenage bodies.
3. "Psychologically damage her, y'know?" "Uh, why?" "Just do it!" "Okay!"
4. What he's doing now isn't as bad as what Karen told him to do, but there's no real reason for he and Marshall to have such a firm hold of the idiot ball when it comes to Karen's obviously bad intentions. It just makes the characters look cataclysmically stupid instead of winsomely innocent.
5. (Sings the looney tunes theme)
6. For once, just once, I'd love to see Katy Ann act like the kid she is.
Twitcher

Return to General Discussion