Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby FlyingFish » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:39 pm

If I may butt in here, may I suggest that this "debate" end with an agreement to disagree? It's very obvious (no pun intended) to me that this topic is very personal and emotional for LO23, while Brasca has not not experienced the same trauma and is approaching it with detachment. Brasca cannot be expected to grok pain he has not been through; LO23 cannot be expected to ignore it. This will not end well, and I cannot see it being productive in any way in the meantime. Please, both of you, walk away.
FlyingFish

Postby Adrishiana » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:19 pm

1. Does anybody ever say "'lax" as shorthand for "relax" in real life? Have they ever?

Also, it is a surprisingly generous grounding if Penny is allowed to both have visitors and parties.

2. "Stan likes them healthy"? Dude, Cyndi, she's eating a sandwich. "I must hate you now" is more chilling in retrospect. (Same for "I will destroy you!")

3 In addition to the fact that Helen is fairly toxic (and yes, there are reasons for the way Helen is, buuuut those reasons don't do much to help the people she screws over in her effort to be needed), this is such a strange comment to make since Aggie has generally been the aggressor in conflicts between them. Penny seems to be happy enough to stay out of Aggie's way and would be happier still if Aggie stayed out of hers.

4. The money signs are kind of weird, but I expect Stan is seeing this (as he seems to see nearly everything else) as an opportunity to burnish his resume and get ahead in life. (As a side note, I think the only way my theater experience (such as it was - I was on crew for one production and took a handful of drama courses in high school and college) directly helped me out, career-wise, was when it helped me get an interview for a customer service position (though I ended up turning down the job itself, so) at a place that sold costumes. Indirectly, I'd say it did help with my speech issues and generally being a bit more comfortable in front of others, both of which are, of course, ongoing processes, but it was something.)

5. I feel like the facial expressions on Sara vs. Daphne are kind of an omen to Staphne not really working out.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Wouldn't the ship name be "Saraphne"?
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:38 pm

LadyObvious23 wrote:Wouldn't the ship name be "Saraphne"?

It's certainly an option, but not one I chose to use :D
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:55 pm

I've been wondering. How well do you think the play'd be if Penny didn't accidently break Aggie's arm? Like I think it'd be pretty okayish but I'm doubting it. :/
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 am

Depends on how long the run would have been. The events of the intermission ruined the second half of the play. Almost everyone lost their character's motivations being wrapped up in personal issues. A second performance the next day would stand a chance of folks being back on track, but it probably would be until a 3rd when they really got it right again, the newness of relationships just a little less fizzy (a bubbly Lady M is probably 100% toxic), resentments at least a little more choked down, and so forth. Aggie's arm was kinda the least of their issues.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Adrishiana » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I must admit that both Lisa and Aggie were particularly baffling - Lisa couldn't just catch Aggie after the show to discuss a somewhat emotionally charged topic? There's enough stuff to do before you clear out for the night for there to have been time before she planted one on Darren.

Aggie's behavior was also pretty ridiculous, even for a character whose father says that coping with stuff is not her strong point.

Lisa's visible terror from being told to stick to the script by someone she had no fear of publicly spraying soda on is likewise difficult to explain. Is she having existential "omigaaah you mean I'm not always hilarious and adorable?" angst? An allergic reaction to possibly the first time in her life she's ever been told "no"? (The discussion post-movie between her parents and Mr. D'amour suggest that they may not be too familiar with the word.) What?

Also, if Meghan hadn't been taken out during the intermission I would think the openly bubbly Lady M would have harmed Sara's prospects, but then I think it was indicated that it may not have entiiiiirely been Sara's acting skill that led to that.

tl;dr I'm inclined to agree with Figgy that it would have taken at least another show or two, but school plays also tend not to have runs that go on super long.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby Alice Macher » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 pm

I think the performance we saw in "Final Curtain, First Kiss" was in fact scheduled as the closing performance. At the end of the previous arc, Sara asks Daphne to stick around after said performance so they can attend the wrap party together. From my one experience of high school theatre,* I recall there being a cast party only after our closing performance, not after any of the earlier ones.

* I played Hodel in Fiddler on the Roof, junior year. I got a solo song and then went off to be with my Marxist agitator fiancé in Siberia. :)
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
Alice Macher

Postby thebitterfig » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:23 pm

You're probably right. I'd for some reason thought it was opening night, but it's probably just one of those things, like words you've always mispronounced, or a belief that foxes like to eat fried tofu, which you happen to believe for some reason while you're a kid, but never really learn the truth about until later. To that end, I'm trying to convince my nearly 4 year old niece that foxes love fried tofu.
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
thebitterfig

Postby Adrishiana » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Have her listen to What Does the Fox Say and translate his part at the end as a raving desire for fried tofu.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby brasca » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:09 am

FlyingFish wrote:If I may butt in here, may I suggest that this "debate" end with an agreement to disagree? It's very obvious (no pun intended) to me that this topic is very personal and emotional for LO23, while Brasca has not not experienced the same trauma and is approaching it with detachment. Brasca cannot be expected to grok pain he has not been through; LO23 cannot be expected to ignore it. This will not end well, and I cannot see it being productive in any way in the meantime. Please, both of you, walk away.

Very well, but when challenged I must speak up for I am Brasca, Champion of the nerdy people! H'yes!
brasca

Previous

Return to General Discussion