Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby Topic Starter Robot » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Drama Queens 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Starter Robot
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby Alice Macher » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Not sure why Stan sees the Macbeth production as a money-making opportunity.
"Life doesn't wait forever." --Lisa Winklemeyer
User avatar
Alice Macher
 
Posts: 4719
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:57 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby LadyObvious23 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Because he's slime.

Helen needs a punch in the fucking face for what she's going to do. Spilling other people's secrets is just disgusting. Just to feel "NEEDED". Fucking tool.

Cyndi needs to learn to keep her hands to herself.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby thebitterfig » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:15 pm

The Scottish Tragedy. I'll type the name without fear, though. Macbeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shZBPIy0nPg

"It is an evil play, it teaches us nothing."
The notes of this paradoxalist do not end here, however. He could not refrain from going on with them, but it seems to us that we may stop here. - Fyodor Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground (trans. C. Garnett)
User avatar
thebitterfig
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:25 pm
Location: Maine, where it's probably snowing.

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby FlyingFish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:39 am

Alice Macher wrote:Not sure why Stan sees the Macbeth production as a money-making opportunity.

I suspect not directly, but "acted under Machrie" will look good on the resume.
User avatar
FlyingFish
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:14 am

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby brasca » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:53 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:Helen needs a punch in the fucking face for what she's going to do. Spilling other people's secrets is just disgusting. Just to feel "NEEDED". Fucking tool.


At the present Helen is encouraging Aggie's animosity towards Penny which really doesn't require much work. Helen could've done a lot more damage if she intended, but she was not much of a player in this. Look how excited Cyndi is about Michelle's information on Karen's secret competition. She knows exactly what she could do with it, but Helen never uses that or Sara's secret as leverage. She just drunkenly admits it. Something schemers like Stan and Cyndi would never do. The low point comes when she doesn't own up to her mistake and goes along with the lie told about Sara. This too is evidence of someone with the inability to scheme. The schemer would continue to play both sides by defending Sara and making her think it was Daphne who outed her which really wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities since she was drunk too. That way if Karen's gang collapses she still has a place with Aggie and if not she could dump them all later.

And yes it is important to be needed since she Helen's family doesn't care much for her and her ties of friendship are largely based on pity or being of use. I didn't have any close friends in high school and far more people I trusted less, but at the end of the day I had family. That got me through. Someone who doesn't have that cannot exist alone and will immediately cling to whoever will pay a shred of attention and affection.

Never noticed the parallel with the production of MacBeth and Karen's scheme to eliminate the king or queen as the case may be to take over the school. Paranoia was his downfall too, but he didn't really have a gang of conspirators other than Lady MacBeth.
Last edited by brasca on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby timemonkey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:17 am

Whenever a story focusses on doing a play from Shakespear it's ALWAYS related to the story's plot.
timemonkey
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 11:24 am

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby LadyObvious23 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:16 pm

brasca wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:Helen needs a punch in the fucking face for what she's going to do. Spilling other people's secrets is just disgusting. Just to feel "NEEDED". Fucking tool.


At the present Helen is encouraging Aggie's animosity towards Penny which really doesn't require much work. Helen could've done a lot more damage if she intended, but she was not much of a player in this. Look how excited Cyndi is about Michelle's information on Karen's secret competition. She knows exactly what she could do with it, but Helen never uses that or Sara's secret as leverage. She just drunkenly admits it. Something schemers like Stan and Cyndi would never do. The low point comes when she doesn't own up to her mistake and goes along with the lie told about Sara. This too is evidence of someone with the inability to scheme. The schemer would continue to play both sides by defending Sara and making her think it was Daphne who outed her which really wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities since she was drunk too. That way if Karen's gang collapses she still has a place with Aggie and if not she could dump them all later.

There's never a good fucking excuse for putting someone else's life in fucking danger and betraying her "friends" just to feel needed. If Sara was harmed it would be Helen's fault it happened. She's scum. A little traitor who helped almost destroy everyone of them.

Fuck Helen.

And don't you dare bring up Daphne. Outing another person when you know what could happen to them would literally make that lie not work. Since Daphne knows just how fucking precious that kinda secret is and would never spill it. The gang would be even more pissed at her for lying like that. And I'm disgusted you would even suggest that another gay kid would put their friend's life at stake like that. You LITERALLY don't seem to understand this very well. Like you think it's fine that Helen outted Sara like that.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby brasca » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:59 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:
brasca wrote:
LadyObvious23 wrote:Helen needs a punch in the fucking face for what she's going to do. Spilling other people's secrets is just disgusting. Just to feel "NEEDED". Fucking tool.


At the present Helen is encouraging Aggie's animosity towards Penny which really doesn't require much work. Helen could've done a lot more damage if she intended, but she was not much of a player in this. Look how excited Cyndi is about Michelle's information on Karen's secret competition. She knows exactly what she could do with it, but Helen never uses that or Sara's secret as leverage. She just drunkenly admits it. Something schemers like Stan and Cyndi would never do. The low point comes when she doesn't own up to her mistake and goes along with the lie told about Sara. This too is evidence of someone with the inability to scheme. The schemer would continue to play both sides by defending Sara and making her think it was Daphne who outed her which really wouldn't be out of the realm of possibilities since she was drunk too. That way if Karen's gang collapses she still has a place with Aggie and if not she could dump them all later.

There's never a good fucking excuse for putting someone else's life in fucking danger and betraying her "friends" just to feel needed. If Sara was harmed it would be Helen's fault it happened. She's scum. A little traitor who helped almost destroy everyone of them.

Fuck Helen.

And don't you dare bring up Daphne. Outing another person when you know what could happen to them would literally make that lie not work. Since Daphne knows just how fucking precious that kinda secret is and would never spill it. The gang would be even more pissed at her for lying like that. And I'm disgusted you would even suggest that another gay kid would put their friend's life at stake like that. You LITERALLY don't seem to understand this very well. Like you think it's fine that Helen outted Sara like that.


I understand that it was wrong, but again she was drunk so it wasn't intentional. If it was then Helen could have used that information to barter for a place in Karen's gang. Yes Helen knew she was being used, but up until then all Karen wanted were stories about Penny when she was a kid and encouraging Aggie's hatred toward Penny. That's not asking much and up until the fateful party she was no different than Daphne or Fred who were there too so this has nothing to do with crossing some kind of partisan line to have fun at a party thrown by someone Aggie and Lisa do not like. She had too much to drink and said things she shouldn't have and then handle the consequences. On that she failed spectacularly. And yes it would be very wrong indeed to blame Daphne which is what an amoral schemer would do. If Cyndi were in Helen's place she would have shifted suspicion to Daphne to protect herself and to cause chaos. However, Helen is not Cyndi. She's not a schemer nor can she even lie convincingly under pressure.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:10 am

There's NO FUCKING EXCUSE FOR OUTING SOMEONE. NO. FUCKING EXCUSE. WHATSO-FUCKING-EVER.

No excuse AT ALL. Do you fucking get how fucking dangerous that is for a gay kid? VERY!!!! Dear fucking god. SCREW HELEN and her neediness. She could've gotten Sara KILLED. FUCK HER. She's disgusting. Getting drunk and doing someone harm is inexcusible.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby Twitcher » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:56 am

1. Cyndi is creepy here.
2. And even more creepy here.
3. Poor Helen. A few people wonder why she'd push Aggie toward fighting Penny. I've met people like Helen. Hell, my mom's a lot like Helen, falling into the trap of needing to feel needed, and if you can't feel sympathy for a character like her, I envy you.
4. Pop, pop pop.
5. Christ, Aggie, why does it matter?
6. REVOLUTIONARY.
7. Are any of them good actors?
8. I often wonder which VAs could do the job of voice acting the Penny and Aggie crew. Any ideas?
User avatar
Twitcher
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:19 pm
Location: In My Foggy Little Head

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby brasca » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:There's NO FUCKING EXCUSE FOR OUTING SOMEONE. NO. FUCKING EXCUSE. WHATSO-FUCKING-EVER.

No excuse AT ALL. Do you fucking get how fucking dangerous that is for a gay kid? VERY!!!! Dear fucking god. SCREW HELEN and her neediness. She could've gotten Sara KILLED. FUCK HER. She's disgusting. Getting drunk and doing someone harm is inexcusible.


I never said there was an excuse for that, but this is a webcomic about teenagers and they are incredibly fallible people. There is a difference between Helen getting drunk and divulging information on Sara's sexuality and participating in a lynch mob aimed at gay kids, but apparently not in your book. Even Katy Ann fails to measure up to your standards. All I ever read from you is angry proclamations of who you hate and who deserves to die. If it bothers you so much then why do you read it?
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:39 am

I have never condemned Katy Ann. Didn't realize that not agreeing with her views means that I'm condemning her. Gee. Wow. How awful of me for not agreeing with her point of view and saying as such. And I just think Helen should fucking be punched for putting Sara's life at stake. Don't remember wishing death on anyone. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.


Twitcher wrote:5. Christ, Aggie, why does it matter?

Because according to Aggie,Penny is dumber than a sack of broken hammers and should be beaten to death for being blond/popular and not like her. Also this was during Aggie's sex shaming part of life too. So any percieved sex Penny's possibly getting is evil as well as rejecting boys she's not interested in. I'm so glad she outgrows this bullshit.


Is it just me or do people seem to not get that homophobia doesn't have to be a fucking anti-gay rally. It can be not wanting gays to get married,saying fucking slurs,fetishizing the hell out of them,treating them like accessories and friggin' OUTING THEM TO OTHER PEOPLE. Fuckin' aye.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby brasca » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:50 am

LadyObvious23 wrote:I have never condemned Katy Ann. Didn't realize that not agreeing with her views means that I'm condemning her. Gee. Wow. How awful of me for not agreeing with her point of view and saying as such. And I just think Helen should fucking be punched for putting Sara's life at stake. Don't remember wishing death on anyone. Thanks for putting words in my mouth.


Twitcher wrote:5. Christ, Aggie, why does it matter?

Because according to Aggie,Penny is dumber than a sack of broken hammers and should be beaten to death for being blond/popular and not like her. Also this was during Aggie's sex shaming part of life too. So any percieved sex Penny's possibly getting is evil as well as rejecting boys she's not interested in. I'm so glad she outgrows this bullshit.


Is it just me or do people seem to not get that homophobia doesn't have to be a fucking anti-gay rally. It can be not wanting gays to get married,saying fucking slurs,fetishizing the hell out of them,treating them like accessories and friggin' OUTING THEM TO OTHER PEOPLE. Fuckin' aye.


Well you may not wish death upon various characters, but you certainly favor bodily harm and violence which is a rather extreme response considering that Sara's life was never in danger. Her reputation suffered, but the students at Bellville never threatened her with violence. It is the worst case scenario of outing a person that NEVER happened in this webcomic. So if you equate outing someone with organizing a lynch mob then I suppose I can equate punching someone in the face with murder.

As for understanding homophobia there are many degrees of it and sometimes you have to choose between the person who actively hates you and the other that does not understand you. You can never win over the former, but the latter might change their mind one day, but if you treat the latter contemptuously they never will.

What I do not understand is how you equate Helen's drunken confession with homophobia. She also tells Karen that Aggie has a crush on Marshall. Does that mean she hates heterosexuals too? She was too drunk to care about keeping secrets which has nothing to do with hating Sara for being gay.
User avatar
brasca
 
Posts: 2759
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Phoenix, Arizona

Re: Re-read week 96: Drama Queens 1 - 8

Postby LadyObvious23 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:25 pm

You're much too invested/biased towards her. She could gut a man and you'd find reason to defend the shitty little lying brat. Helen had a huge hand in almost killing two "friends" who have done absolutely NOTHING to her. If it wasn't for her stupid move,the accusation against Sara wouldn't have happened. But yeah she changed her last name for no good reason. Yeah she totes was never in danger. Tooootalllly.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
User avatar
LadyObvious23
 
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Next

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron