Re-read week 92: Injustice Gang 8 - 13

This forum is founded on discussions about T Campbell's work (alone and with artist partners).

Moderators: TCampbell, Gisele

Re: Re-read week 92: Injustice Gang 8 - 13

Postby LadyObvious23 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:55 am

Yeah. Look where that got her when the fake rape story came out. Daphne acted like a rejected "Nice Guy" and didn't care about the supposed rape victim like most people would.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby Adrishiana » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:51 pm

I think this is one place where things might have made more sense if Daphne's stepfather had actually been in some fashion abusive towards her - not that it would excuse anything by any means, mind you, just that it would make what appears to be a knee-jerk reaction of believing a Youtube video over someone she's known for months (and seems to be legitimately confused over WTF is going on) somewhat more understandable.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby timemonkey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:47 am

Yeah, we're nearing the point where it's really important to understand how Daphne thinks in order to understand and keep her sympathetic but we are never given that.
timemonkey

Postby Adrishiana » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:09 pm

T noted in P&A Plus that Daphne "has made a policy of helping others" in hopes that the good karma will eventually improve her life (though exactly what needed improving is unclear) and that if that had been shown more, she might have been more popular with the readership (though unfortunately "pettiness claimed more of her energies for the duration"). Even that makes Daphne sound a bit mercenary, I think, but yeah, knowing a bit more about her (and maybe seeing her do helpful/nice things for reasons that aren't "because she gets something out of it or hopes she eventually will") and the way she thinks and the logic behind some of her decisions and thought patterns would have helped.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby timemonkey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:37 pm

I wonder if anyone ever told her that doing positive things for purely selfish reasons completely negates the positive energy it would have otherwise generated. She just really comes across as self absorbed.
timemonkey

Postby Adrishiana » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:30 pm

Even the relatively selfish nature of the reason could have possibly been mitigated if we'd ever seen anything about her life that was actually terrible or even really unpleasant.

I think across the comic the only thing in her life that actually appears to be lacking (at this point) is that she isn't sexually active/romantically involved (and, of course, other people in the same position may not feel this is a lack at all - my point here is more that Daphne feels the lack of a significant other or sexytimes is a problem). I don't, offhand, remember if she's closeted or not (or where, if she's out to anybody but her friends), and if she is that's legitimately kind of to pretty unpleasant. Otherwise, she has close friends, her family appears to have enough financial resources for Daphne to have a nice bedroom in a nice house in a nice neighborhood, a driver's license at or relatively soon after reaching legal age to drive, access to a car, and so on. As far as her family itself goes, her issue with her stepfather sounds like it was more related to the way in which things changed after he joined the family (rather than any kind of abuse on his part, which is what a later comment on Daphne's part and possibly one from Lisa in QUILTBAG sort of implies), though of course this may have been something that the comic was eventually going to explore but then ended up being altered/dropped due to lack of time or opportunity to go there in a somewhat natural way (similar to how Duane's use of "gay" as a pejorative was, if I heard correctly, something that would come up later but eventually was decided to be colloquial, if assy).

So pretty much the only thing immediately obvious to others (depending on her closeted status) that might be making her life difficult is that she is prone to making snap judgments and being kind of a jerk (or a huge jerk), which is kind of at odds with the hidden "being helpful to others in hopes of a better life" aspect of her character.
No more zoos!
Adrishiana

Postby LadyObvious23 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:37 am

Kind of? She can be a real sack of dicks without much effort.
Growing old is inevitable, Growing up is optional.
'As long as you cater to my every whim, fullfill my every wish, obey my every command and never argue with what I say I shall be your slave forever.'
LadyObvious23

Postby timemonkey » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:23 am

Admittedly, so can the entire cast, we just understand where they're coming from better.
timemonkey

Previous

Return to General Discussion